Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Newbie EVO owner with some newbie questions...

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2007, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie EVO owner with some newbie questions...

So I am the very happy and very proud owner of a, now broken in, 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO IX MR. Now that I have been more widely opening the throttle I cannot help but to think forward to future performance tweaks I might want to throw on. Being that this is my first real "sports" car and not knowing too terribly much about what I have under the hood, I would like to ask a few questions:

Where is a great resource for reading about what performance parts came stock with my EVO? Not only do I need to know what kind of stuff exists, but what that "stuff" is doing for me performance-wise? I'm not a gear-head and am very new to everything, but I learn quickly and do not mind reading to get me to where I feel comfortable discussing my car.

My second question goes along the same lines: I understand that there is quiet a bit of performance machinery that comes stock with my EVO, and keeping in mind cost to benefit, I am curious about what future upgrades should be in store? In order of priority I want to take full advantage of what the EVO comes stock with in the MR, attempting not to replace an already outstanding part, and replace or add parts that will take my EVO to the next level. I really know I need to have my first question fully answered to begin working on this question, but thought I might as well throw it out there too.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Old May 21, 2007, 04:27 AM
Evolving Member

welcome and congrats. im a noob to evo's too so im still learning myself.. ill offer advice to the best of my (noob) knowledge. the braking dept. is covered pretty damn good by the stock stuff, as well as suspension. also, the turbo, and bov are very good on the IX as well. there are some package deals out there for the IX that offer great gains for around $1200. the amount of vendors out there are tremendous and it can get confusing quickly reading about all the different parts, upgrades, etc.. keeping it simple you should look at buschurs website, or search for the user Warrtalon and read the packages in his signature.. the package for the IX is the way im gonna go when the time comes..

other than that your going to have to do a lot of reading. there are a lot of threads just like this one with a lot of info. just start browsing this forum, the noob forum especially, and the tech forums.. read, read, read.. ive been doing it for over a month and i have more questions now than i did when i started.
Old May 21, 2007, 04:48 AM
Evolving Member

Most questions have an answer somewere here on this forum. You just need to search to find what you want.
If you are looking for more of the basics if a combustible engine, you may want to try google, but there's great info here about turbochargers, and almost anything else you could need.
Old May 21, 2007, 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

AMS, Buschur, TTP all have high powered EVO's.

Buschur - Daily drives his sub 9 second car
AMS - 1000hp car built

Utilizing their websites to get an idea of what upgrade path to take is a great start.

Also, the forums here!
Old May 21, 2007, 10:37 AM

Ok another question which you probably heard allot.. what kinda mods I can put on my evo without voiding the warranty?? Anybody knows 4 sure??
Old May 21, 2007, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by roadevo
Where is a great resource for reading about what performance parts came stock with my EVO? Not only do I need to know what kind of stuff exists, but what that "stuff" is doing for me performance-wise?
+1
Old May 21, 2007, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Voiding of your warranty is hit or miss. Some dealerships will void for an air filter and some will not.

Some allow Turbo back exhaust, some only Cat back. Some are mod friendly and don't really car what you have done and others will attempt to void warranty for anything.
Old May 21, 2007, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Warranty?? What's this warranty thing to which you are referring??
Old May 21, 2007, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

+1 ^
Old May 21, 2007, 11:35 AM
Tor

Originally Posted by Evolistic
Ok another question which you probably heard allot.. what kinda mods I can put on my evo without voiding the warranty?? Anybody knows 4 sure??
Usually [not always] air intake, gauges [without tapping into ECU/heads], sometimes cat-back.

What WILL void your warranty is ANYTHING that tapps into ECU harness directly
Old May 21, 2007, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Get your suscription to Turbo Magazine, Import Tuner, Super Street, Sport Compact car. These all have great evo articles currently..
Old May 25, 2007, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

I would say just do basics if you are concerned about warranty
Old May 26, 2007, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Evolistic
I spoke to the service manager at my local stealer.
He told me that suspension mods would only void the suspsension part of the warranty. Likewise with an exhaust mod.

However anything remotely (LICP, MBC etc etc) related to the motor, will void the engine warranty! This is due to the fact that so many people racing and breaking their EVOs and then trying to get their cars repaired under warranty, has to approve all warranty claims.
Old May 26, 2007, 02:27 AM
Evolved Member

Now, I keep asking myself this. If something goes wrong, couldn't you just slap the OEM parts back on, and imagine it was never modded?
Old May 26, 2007, 02:56 AM

If your mods are reversible, you should be able to.