Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Just test drove a 2006 Evo...am I missing something?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2007, 08:51 PM
Laz
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Just test drove a 2006 Evo...am I missing something?

Hey guys. I just joined a few days ago. I'm really interested in Lancer Evolutions and just got to test one for the first time earlier today. It was a IX 2006 with 12k miles. The only comparable car I've driven is a Dodge SRT-4, which is supposed to be considerably slower than a Lancer Evo.

The car was in nice condition, but something worried me: as soon as we took off, the car was making a really weird whining noise, almost similar to a supercharger. It did it at low and high RPMs. I asked the dealership salesman what the noise was and he said it was the turbo. Hmm. Turbos aren't supposed to sound like a damned golfcart, are they?

The weirdest part about the Evo wasn't the sound though. It was the lack of power. We launched it from 0-90 mph a few times, and the car felt like it didn't even have a turbocharger installed. These cars are supposed to be fast, and this car wasn't nearly as fast as my brother's SRT-4. When I floored it in the Evo, I wasn't pushed back into the seat like in the SRT-4...the car slowly accelerated without the "lunge" effect that a powerful turbo as in the power band. It felt like I was driving a freaking civic or something.

Are Lancer Evos supposed to "feel" slow due to their AWD and supreme handling, or is something wrong with this car? I left the place disgusted and even turned down an excellent deal on the car because it felt like it was a damn family sedan.

I personally think there was something wrong with it. Are Evos supposed to feel faster than an SRT-4 or what? There's no reason to drop $26k on an Evo if I can get an SRT-4 for $13k in my location with the SRT-4 feeling faster.

Is the high pitched whining noise in the Evo normal? I want to know these things before I give up on getting an Evo. Thanks for your time.
Old May 26, 2007, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

the noise....transfer case possible...and there is something def. f*ed up with that evo, the Evo WILL throw you to the back of the seat and pulls very hard, even stock. I would recommend to test drive another....it will kick the crap out of an SRT-4
Old May 26, 2007, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

and also cars tend to feel faster in the passenger seat. at least thats how I feel
Old May 26, 2007, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go drive another evo
Old May 26, 2007, 09:08 PM
Laz
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jordanz3
and also cars tend to feel faster in the passenger seat. at least thats how I feel
I rode in the passenger seat and in the driver seat. It felt slow in both. It didn't throw me back in the seat at all and I'd say the 0-60 mph of it was about 6-7 seconds.

BTW I am going to test drive a 2003 Evo this week. Are the 2003s any slower than the 2006s? If so, how much?
Old May 26, 2007, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

yeah i agree go drive another one. and if your brothers srt is heavily modded, then yes a stock evo will feel slower. i think the whine is normal because as far as i remember from my car being stock, it made that same sound. but i could only here it when the windows were up. good luck man i hope that experience hasn't made you think bad of evos
Old May 26, 2007, 09:10 PM
Laz
Evolving Member

BTW the sound I'm describing that was whining sounded like a blender. It wasn't regular turbo noise. It was rough and you could hear it above the engine.
Old May 26, 2007, 09:11 PM
Laz
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PKEVO8
yeah i agree go drive another one. and if your brothers srt is heavily modded, then yes a stock evo will feel slower. i think the whine is normal because as far as i remember from my car being stock, it made that same sound. but i could only here it when the windows were up. good luck man i hope that experience hasn't made you think bad of evos
My bro's SRT-4 is completely stock. His SRT-4 feels faster than this Evo with 5 people in the car seriously.
Old May 26, 2007, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

that evo was broken. drive a new one.
Old May 26, 2007, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

My guess is that with 12k on it, there's a nice boost leak unless of course you are comparing to a modded srt-4. IMO stock for stock they should feel about the same if you're not launching
Old May 26, 2007, 09:16 PM
Former Sponsor

------> TROLL ALERT <---------
And you guys bought it...hahaha....
Old May 26, 2007, 09:21 PM

That's funny, because I tried out this guy's mom, and she wasn't anything like everyone's been saying. Why does everyone make such a fuss about how good she is?

Her cooking, I mean. I was talking about her cooking.
Old May 26, 2007, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

go buy the srt-4! lol

Old May 26, 2007, 09:31 PM

you sure you weren't just driving a Lancer? lol just kidding. I've never drove one myself but I would jsut visit anotehr dealership with an Evo and try that one
Old May 26, 2007, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah, that evo's def broken...hopefully some poor soul won't come behind you and buy that evo...but yeah, you should find someone near you that has an evo and get a feel for it...I remember test driving my first evo...AMAZING!!! sucks that yours wasn't as joyful as my experience - hope you join the club

Quick Reply: Just test drove a 2006 Evo...am I missing something?