Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

What to Look 4 when buying a used Evo 8 ?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2007, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to Look 4 when buying a used Evo 8 ?

Ok so I got my cash right and started Evo shopping.I decided to go for an 03-04 Evo 8.Its been a rough 2-3 months and I must say this is a tough car to shop.Its either the mileage is too high,the car was simply over-modded(non-stock or near stock),or the car needs TLC of some sort usually being the clutch or the transfer case.
My question is this:What should I look for in specific to the evo 8(physically and/or mechanically) to know Im making a wise purchase.I dont want to buy a car if I cant jump in it and drive it with dependability.I know every car needs maintenence especially FI cars.Ive owned 2.Its crunch time and Im eager to find an Evo.I dont want to regret buying a timebomb.
Old May 27, 2007, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

what is FI? Fuel Injection?
Old May 27, 2007, 10:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if the dealer tells you it was driven by an old lady, walk away lol
Old May 27, 2007, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

I beat the living **** out of my Evo before I bought it (twice) cause if something gonna go I want it to be while the dealer still owns it.

Last edited by jroller; May 27, 2007 at 10:04 PM.
Old May 28, 2007, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jroller

forced induction. like turbo or supercharger.

and as for the op's ?

try to find one as stock as possible. do a search on "death whine" as that is a common issue with beat on evo's.. if it has that then stay away. look to see if the undertray was removed (big plastic flat piece under the front of the car). if someone is claiming they are stock and that is removed chances are they are lying to you. if you can have a mechanic inspect the car first. and if possible buy one from a dealer. they have to warranty it for a certain number of months by law in most states so at least you have a little protection in the first few months you own the car.. try searching on www.kbb.com and www.autotrader.com

look to make sure that all parts have the vin # sticker on them.. especially the front fenders, etc.. make sure that the car is structurally sound. run a carfax, but look closely at all bolts that hold on the fenders, and nose of the car to see if they are marked up which shows sign's of removal.. make sure the clutch isnt slipping by getting into top gear and putting the go pedal down if the car revs more than it moves that means the clutch is slipping. good luck
Old May 28, 2007, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Ill for sure test out the clutch on any vehicle I consider.Ill keep my ears open for the "whine" too.I cant wait to get into one of these bad boys.The funny thing is, for the first time in my life I only want to mod tastefully.

On my previous turbo tegs and such, I was trying to squeeze out more power than I needed.I think the only goal I have for the car if tracked is to break into the high 12's.Gotta get a solid car first.Seems to be the hard part.

Seriously considering "blue by rays" car in the FS section.Seems to fit my needs.Anyone that can vouch for his car would be nice.
Old May 28, 2007, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jroller
Are you new to the whole "tuner scene"? FI is short for "Forced Induction". Can be turbo,supercharger,nitrous,etc.
Old May 29, 2007, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Take your time when buying the car, and dont be afriad to spend a littlemore money then you expected. I was shoping for these cars for a long time and i couldnt find the right one.
finaly on the web i found a used 03 with 38K i drove 7 hours to see it and i was disapointed. I walked away form the car and luckely i was driving away. across the street i noticed a white 03 this one only had 19K for only 500 more.

Do your research and find out what you want. i didnt end up buying either cars because i found that my heart was set on getting an MR which i found in the paper that night when i was debating the cars.

Now im a proud owner of an 05MR with 39K

P.S. is an 05 evo MR a 8 or a 9?
Old May 29, 2007, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

Its an 8.
Old May 29, 2007, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

05 MR is an 8.

Its hard to be patient when Ive been looking for 3 months LOL.