Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Buying a 2003 Evolution 8

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2007, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a 2003 Evolution 8

Heyguys im new to the site, I currently drive an srt-4 and that wil be sold by thursday or friday to a local kid so I am going to purchase an evo 8.. Theres a few at a local dealership all 2003's 1 with 26k miles 1 with 53k and one with 35k

What are common problems among the 03 evo 8s that I can have my buddy check, hes ase certfied tech and knows a decent a mount of stuff but has never worked on an evo. I hear of alot of synchro problems if you dont put in different tranny fluid, but i havent heard of to many other common problems.

I dont plan on doing much modding on the car. I plan on having a turbo back exhaust,intake,bov and thats it performance wise.. It will be my daily driver

So please let me know any common things with these cars that my buddy can check to see thanks
Old May 29, 2007, 05:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Spooch,

My first advice would be to not buy a used Evo from a dealership. 9/10 times they are abused and modded and just put back to stock in anyway shape or form so the previous owner could get a newer one. I would look for one on the forums over the dealership unless it's new.

As far as problems are concerned the 03 Evos transmissions aren't that great. Feel and listen for grinds in the gears especially 2nd, 3rd, and 5th. If the car is still on the stock clutch excpect that to be going soon as well. The transfer cases tend to go out fairly easily as well. Mainly the drivetrain all in all. I personally have an 03 and have replaced all of the mentioned above.

Take your time when buying one and don't jump into the first one you see. The right one will come to you.

-Ray
Old May 29, 2007, 06:01 AM
Evolving Member

good to know, ya its not a mitsu dealer ship its a dealer that always has nice cars, honda preludes, evos stis, mustangs hummers,just about 30 cars on the lot at a time and the place sells them fast, Ive heard good things about them, the evos there they never took off the mods they leave them how they get them. Does mitsu sell an extended warranty on the drivetrain??

If you keep the power about stock does the drivetrain still tend to break easily?
Old May 29, 2007, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If the mods are left on I would definitely investigate as to exactly which mods are on the cars. I don't think Mitsu sells extended warranties and if they did you would have a hard time getting anything warrantied because of the mods.

Even if the car is left at "stock" power levels the abuse and driving of the car that it gets usually still wears it down. It more or less delays the inevitable.
Old May 29, 2007, 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

Around what mileage is all these problems starting? I dont care about weak stock clutches, I can replace with aftermarket...

But tranmissions and transfer cases can get to be pretty damn expensive and buying a car with 26k miles Id hope for no work needing to be done till at least 50k or so
Old May 29, 2007, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blue by ray
Spooch,

My first advice would be to not buy a used Evo from a dealership. 9/10 times they are abused and modded and just put back to stock in anyway shape or form so the previous owner could get a newer one. I would look for one on the forums over the dealership unless it's new.

As far as problems are concerned the 03 Evos transmissions aren't that great. Feel and listen for grinds in the gears especially 2nd, 3rd, and 5th. If the car is still on the stock clutch excpect that to be going soon as well. The transfer cases tend to go out fairly easily as well. Mainly the drivetrain all in all. I personally have an 03 and have replaced all of the mentioned above.

Take your time when buying one and don't jump into the first one you see. The right one will come to you.

-Ray
I got an 03 with 41K and the stock clutch. car drives like it did with 12k on it. its modded and tranny drivetain are all doing well. I honestly wouldnt worry so much about what he has listed for problems. just change all fluids on a regular basis and DONT DROP THE CLUTCH AT 6K lol
Old May 29, 2007, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He wasnt' saying that the dealer would take off mods, he was referring to the previous owner i believe, i bought my 04' VIII with 8,000 miles 6 months ago from an old guy who didnt' malest it, its in perfect condition to this day. DON'T jump on one, wait til you find the one you like and you have better luck getting one from the boards then you do a dealership. IMHO
Old May 29, 2007, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

i bought a used 03 from dealer..and its fine, it did have the syncro issues but everything was fixed all is under extended warranty...bought it at 40k miles
Old May 29, 2007, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

definately makes me feel better reading that you guys havent had issues, It wont let me post a wtb because i dont have the 50 posts and that will take some time to get to that 50 posts.. Ill just have tokeep looking in the forsale for connecticut evo 8s
Old May 29, 2007, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

the good thing about buying from a dealer is that they have to give you some sort of a warranty. find out what they offer (usually about 3 months), and if the car feels solid then go for it.. like bbray said keep an eye on the drivetrain. search the term "death whine" and there is a video clip in which you can hear what it sounds like so you know you dont get a car with that sound. there are pro's and cons of buying dealer or private.

if your looking at The Highline Car Connection up in Ct they seem to price their cars kinda high.. but they do look like they have nice cars there, so they might be a decent place to deal with.
Old May 30, 2007, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

ya highline is 4 minutes from my house, I find them to be rude, they also dont negotiate pricing its a set price no lowering and there prices are about 2 thousand to high on most so scratch that. I foudn a couple at a better way wholesale in naugatuck and a private owner from bargain news, problem is there all modded, the private has new fuel injectors,tune,exhaust,intake etc... theres a bone stock performance silver at the dealer but with a fiberglass front bumper that was painted ****ty as hell and the blue one at the dealer looks real nice cept its got a turbo back exhaust and new turbo manifold, so warranty right away wouldnt be existing
Old Nov 2, 2011, 12:50 PM

Im also looking for a evo. Im looking for one in florida, got a few to go look at this weekend. If any one knows of some more in the area please let me know. Either evo xiii or evo ix.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 01:25 PM

This was nice to read. I am planning on buying one in the next few months. I will probably try to find a older guy who didnt abuse his and is stock. Mine is also going to be for daily use with a few things modded like exhaust, intake, and small things like that.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

I have an VIII that i bought in early 04'. the clutch went out but that is really the only problem i have had. my turbo went out but that can be expected on a car with 120k miles on it. i daily drive it and have some mods done. cams, springs/retainers, new turbo, TBE, and various other mods. currently sitting at 315 hp 320 tq at 22psi. still running strong!!! mods aren't always bad if the car was maintained well and not beat to hell. just make sure you have someone that knows about EVOs check the car out.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 01:53 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfetish
This was nice to read. I am planning on buying one in the next few months. I will probably try to find a older guy who didnt abuse his and is stock.
1. I hope you realize this thread is ~4 years old, where the availability of used, unmolested Evolutions was at a different place compared to today.

2. Why would an older guy drive his Evo like a *****? Figure that young folks worry about a whole slew of constraints, while an older guy cares about only one thing. People don't buy Evolutions by accident.

Hope you find the right car. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Buying a 2003 Evolution 8