Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

electrical/grounding issue

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2007, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electrical/grounding issue

A while back i was having rpm surges after i installed my defi boost guage. After countless troubleshooting ideas i broke down and took it in to mitsu. Mitsu said that it was a grounding issue and there was too much current running the the ecu causing a few ses lights and the surging...they offered to fix it for 400..mitsu said the cars ecu is very sensitive to any changes in the current running through it. So I rewired all my aftermarket accesories (turbo timer and defi setup) through a terminal block...a positive and negative directly from the battery to the block and then my positive and ground wires connected to it. Routing all of the extra power around the ecu. Well i turned the car on and everything was great for the first time in about a week. I went inside and cleaned up. Came back out to go run some errands and it started surging again. Im out of ideas on what it could be...could it be that i just need mitsu to clear the codes and that even though there is no more excess current the old codes are still causing the surging? Any ideas on what i should try next are greatly encouraged.
Old May 30, 2007, 12:14 PM
Former Vendor

Did you have any gauges wired into the ecu? A boost gauge wouldn't do anything to the ecu unless you wired directly into it (which you wouldn't need to do anyways) and the gauge wasn't grounded correctly. Is there a vacuum leak causing the surging? did you scan the ecu and check for codes? I wouldn't trust the dealer. If you did tap into the ecu, you may have fried it and it's a matter of time before it just craps out on you. Be more specific, how was it wired in originally?
Old May 30, 2007, 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

No i did not tap into the ecu when i installed the guage......i did when i installed the turbo timer for speed and tach but that was over a year ago....i tapped into the radio wires for illumination and ignition for my guage and initially my turbo timer wire for power (not the case anymore as stated above) I said that i took it to mitsu they checked the car for free and said it was excess current through the ecu and that it was a grounding issue. I checked for boost leak and there arent any...so nothing had been connected through the ecu other than my hks 1 tt but that was over a year ago...

edit: i checked for codes at autozone...aside from o2 sensor stuff i was throwing a throttle position sensor code. But the dealer said that these codes were being thrown becuase the ecu is very sensitive to excess current going through it which was caused by a bad ground.

Last edited by 3volution8; May 30, 2007 at 10:41 PM.
Old May 31, 2007, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

FYI

Return the car to the stock configuration and run it for a week. If it checks okay, start adding the additional aftermart items one at a time and run them for a week or whateva. Then check the results. This should provide you an idea of what item is causing your problem.

m~