Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

best exhaust with quite feature...

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2007, 07:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Are you guys able to add a resonator on the long exhaust pipe section of the cat-back to further quiet the sound?
Im sorry we do not offer that option. Main reason being is it robs power and its REALLY not needed with this system. Its really quiet as it is IMO. We have not sold this to anyone who has called back with a complaint that it was too loud.
Old May 31, 2007, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally would not buy the tanabe exhaust. Yes it is almost as quiet as stock but it makes about as much power as well. You will see that almost everyone who runs this exhaust makes disappointing power numbers when they put their car on the dyno.

I personally run a buschur exhaust with no cat and a bullet muffler, it is pretty loud.

With that said my friend has the magnaflow exhaust that Jarrod described, his exhaust is significantly quieter. Having a conversation in his car is not tuff and it does not get annoying to be on the highway in his car either. The sound at idle and light cruise is noticeable but not loud. WOT is pretty loud but sounds good.
Old May 31, 2007, 07:59 AM
Fomer Vendor

I really like my RsR Exmag. Stealth looking and quiet. Bends aren't aggressive either.
Old May 31, 2007, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

I personally say go with the Greddy Evo 2 and fix the resonator and neck down. The muffler will still taper to 2.5 but so does HKS. Nice and quiet at idle, opens up nicely at WOT.
Old May 31, 2007, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pog0
I personally say go with the Greddy Evo 2 and fix the resonator and neck down. The muffler will still taper to 2.5 but so does HKS. Nice and quiet at idle, opens up nicely at WOT.
This makes no sense to me, why buy an exhaust that necks down and it not full 3". This is without a doubt going to compromise your power. I feel the same way about resonators. Also why buy something that you are going to have to "fix the resonators on" just buy an exhaust that does not have any to begin with.

If you want a quiet exhaust keep it stock, if you want power get a FULL 3" exhaust, my vote for a quiet full 3" exhaust goes to the bushur magnaflow.

All of these other aftermarket exhausts that are quiet come at the expense of power.
Old May 31, 2007, 12:23 PM

good thread....I think im gonna make the Buschur TBE with HI flow cat and magnaflow muffler when the time comes for my exhaust! $825 shipped...light weight....FULL 3inch.... doesnt draw "to much" attention...u cant go wrong!
Old May 31, 2007, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

Tanabe Medallion Concept G Blue

wait... quite... crap... nm... Touring will do the trick then.
Old May 31, 2007, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

anyone have a soundclip of the stock catback with a downpipe??

keep it looking stock and make a little extra power...
Old May 31, 2007, 12:46 PM

alrighty.... this post would be way to long with all the quotes i'd like to put in here to respond to all of the ppl i'd like to. so here's my shortened version. i did do a search but the results were in the hundreds so there's no way i was gonna be looking through that. i will have a TBE i was just looking for the best gain over sound for now. I have time before i order what i'm gonna order. from asking this forum and my other mitsu forum i'll prolly end up going w/ Buschar's TBE. thanks for all the help guys.
Old May 31, 2007, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by dudical26
I personally would not buy the tanabe exhaust. Yes it is almost as quiet as stock but it makes about as much power as well. You will see that almost everyone who runs this exhaust makes disappointing power numbers when they put their car on the dyno.

I personally run a buschur exhaust with no cat and a bullet muffler, it is pretty loud.

With that said my friend has the magnaflow exhaust that Jarrod described, his exhaust is significantly quieter. Having a conversation in his car is not tuff and it does not get annoying to be on the highway in his car either. The sound at idle and light cruise is noticeable but not loud. WOT is pretty loud but sounds good.
tanabe medaloin touring tbe resonated... fuel pump, intake , mbc at 23-24 psi,
o2 housing , fmic. licp, uicp.
80 farenheit
sean ivey tune /keep it safe/
359.89 WHP 336 WTQ ...
and soooo quiet you not going to bealive it if you will hear it.
dissapointig ??? maybe for you....
for me its perfect, quiet as almost the factory but the performance...
everybody who saw my car, they all thought i have ONLY cat-back...

fast and quiet car is priceless.i had my 350 whp evo 8 GSR SSL was louder inside and outside, then my new 360 whp evo 9 RS stripped..../not even rear seats/

you want to hear it? if you are living close to me, anytime
Old May 31, 2007, 12:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RCJr9186
alrighty.... this post would be way to long with all the quotes i'd like to put in here to respond to all of the ppl i'd like to. so here's my shortened version. i did do a search but the results were in the hundreds so there's no way i was gonna be looking through that. i will have a TBE i was just looking for the best gain over sound for now. I have time before i order what i'm gonna order. from asking this forum and my other mitsu forum i'll prolly end up going w/ Buschar's TBE. thanks for all the help guys.
Let me know if there is anything I can help with or if you have any other questions.

Old May 31, 2007, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrod@Buschur
Im sorry we do not offer that option. Main reason being is it robs power and its REALLY not needed with this system. Its really quiet as it is IMO. We have not sold this to anyone who has called back with a complaint that it was too loud.
I'm sorry but I just dont see how a straight flow through resonator is going to hurt performance.

Through my understanding, Perforated core resonators do not affect flow at all because of their straigh flow through design. Louvered core resonators will flow about 5% less but do a better job at silencing things.

Here is a picture from RRE to show what I'm talking about.

Now I can see why a Louvered resonator can affect air flow, but the perforated resonator is just straight through with holes in the wall. The exhaust passes straight through and the sound waves bouncing on the walls get muffled down/absorbed a bit.
Old May 31, 2007, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
this how mine looks:

not bad for less then $50 at your door...
/E-bay/
Old May 31, 2007, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
this how mine looks:

not bad for less then $50 at your door...
/E-bay/
Cool, thats going to replace your catalytic right? Looks pretty good, and high quality.

See there is no visual physical restrictions with straight flow through resonators.
Old May 31, 2007, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Cool, thats going to replace your catalytic right? Looks pretty good, and high quality.

See there is no visual physical restrictions with straight flow through resonators.
I have this EXACT same resonated test pipe pictured above on my car. This along with my 3" downpipe and Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust. I couldn't be happier with the sound/performance. Plus I have an extra bung if I need to run a wide band since both the resonated test pipe and the Tanabe have one welded in.

I inspected the resonated test pipe, the resonator that's included in the Tanabe exhaust, and the muffler on the Medalion Touring and they all appear to be of a similar design to the resonated test pipe pictured above; a nice 3" straight through perforated design.

So in total this setup has 2 straight thru resonators (1 test pipe, 1 in the Tanabe Medalion Touring), and one straight thru design muffler. Sounds like VERY low restriction to me. The only place it does neck down SLIGHTLY is where it mates to the test pipe... and if I had to guess this is only from 3" to 2.75" at most.

Again, I'm VERY happy with the performance, quietness, and WOT sound of this setup!

Quick Reply: best exhaust with quite feature...