Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Thinking about JDM Rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2007, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EV06MR
This REALLY bums me out! I thought it was direct bolt on. I have a little list of thing to do and the JDM bumper was on top....I have 2 kids so I'm not taking a chance modifying or removing the crash beam. God help anyone in the back seat if you get hit by a bigger vehicle.
Again, just to reiterate, the crash beam--which I have held in my own two hands before it was modified and put back on the rear of my Evo--will not prevent or protect the rear from a crash of any real speed. It is somewhat heavy, but mostly hollow, and is meant to diminish damage from low-speed love taps.

To any and all who are interested in the rear bumper, it just makes the Evo look....correct. I have received so many positive looks and comments about the bumper I have lost count. It makes the body look better balanced from the side(i.e. the rear overhang complements the front overhang better). I am sure someone else who has a JDM bumper shares my thoughts.
Old May 31, 2007, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EV06MR
Only there for up to a 5 mph impact! That's almost the funniest thing I've heard of all day. What, at a 6 mph or more impact does it turn into dust or does it magically break away from the frame and move out of the way?

It's designed not to bend/buckle up to 5 mph not meaning they're useless after 5mph. If anything...get it modified. Don't just get rid of it especially if you ever put kids in your car. And yes, it's supposed to be a direct fit other than the beam.
It is a direct fit--you will not be able to use the styrofoam insert and will need to remove or modify the crash beam. Otherwise being an OEM body part, it should have an OEM look when it is done.
Old May 31, 2007, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

I'm really bummed! I was hoping for the JDM to help with my exhaust but sounds like I'm gonna have to get a CF heat shield!
Old May 31, 2007, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

if your worried that your gonna loose the crash beam for the JDM rear bumper. Don't do it you can go for CF rear air diffuser.. I think APR makes it.

That was my option before I give in to the JDM rear bumper. It just looks SEXY! No question about it.
Old May 31, 2007, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

cant you just get a JDM catback?
Old May 31, 2007, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OTTOMITSU's VR4
yeah, how does it effect exhaust outlets??
Many exhausts need to be modified. This thread should help you out.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=179944
Old May 31, 2007, 07:36 PM

heres a pic of the cars behind me didn't take one of the car yet.

Great now i got another issues i have the Apexi GT spec exhaust and aparently it doesn't fit prefectly. Found this pic of someone who had the Apexi too and it doesn't look bad.

Old Jun 1, 2007, 08:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
By doesn't look bad you mean looks absolutely terrible? Theres a good change the exhaust tip isn't suppose to stick out 7 inches PAST the diffuser outlet.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 08:26 AM

i mean it doesn't look too bad but not good. Would rather have it in more.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 01:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd just modify the piping before the canister. Most shops will charge you $20-$50 bucks to shorten the piping a few inches.