Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Looking to buy first EVO, anyone recognize this one? Clutch/Tranny noise?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2007, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy first EVO, anyone recognize this one? Clutch/Tranny noise?

Long story short, I did a search on ebaymotors last night within a few miles of my zip, & found one. I arrive at the small dealership & the guy JUST deals with internet sales, but is willing to work a deal since im local.

Here is the car, details pix etc.

http://www.zautogroup.com/details_05mits.htm

Now, he says he was told this car has a 'puck clutch'. I go to drive it yesterday, and the clutch engauges very quick, right at top & grabs REAL hard. While cruising in 1st gear, you can hear a 'whining' coming I guess from the tranny, or clutch. Going through the other gears, I couldnt really hear it... although when I was on the hwy in 5th, I could slightly hear the whine noise again. The transmission was also a bit notchy in 2nd, 3rd, 4th... is this normal? I drive a Mazdaspeed Miata right now & its 'normal' so to speak for all of them to be notchy in 2nd & 3rd, but I wasnt sure if it was in the EVO.

The evo seemed to pull real nice... although im very weary of it being modified. It showed the car as a 2 owner as well, both drove the car for 12,000 miles.

The body & interior were EXTREMELY clean. There was one door ding & 2 scratches which the dealer said the car hasnt even been 'detailed yet' & would be taken care of before the sell. The interior is all flawless & I couldnt find a single flaw in it, and I am VERY **** about 'cleanliness'. LMK what you think.

Actually, if you watch this video right here, this is the EXACT noise the car was making... just watch between 11 seconds & 17 seconds... the whining noise...
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...3700ec1dd6.htm

Last edited by CrackerJackToy; Jun 1, 2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Pass. Its been modded by people who didnt know what they were doing. Example 1: HKS SSQV - worst DV for our car. 2: Puck clutch on a driver? (was the pedal light or real stiff?) 3:1st gear whine is pretty normal - esp after going to an aftermarket clutch. If it whines real loud in 5th that could be the TC saying good-bye 4: Love is prby not a word that last two owners had for this car. Well, they loved to drive it to death.

Personally, Id keep looking. Bottom line, its been modded, who knows what was done to it, its like asking to kicked in the bolts. But hey, Im just some guy on the internet - your money.

Last edited by Smike; Jun 1, 2007 at 08:11 AM. Reason: I just cannot spell.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

I added a video from street fire that also had the same whine in my original post ^^... The whine in 5th was hardly noticeable, but noticeable enough for me to hear it. The clutch pedal was pretty stiff...
Old Jun 1, 2007, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Look For Stock My Friend And Get A 9 Not An 8
Old Jun 1, 2007, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOL2003
Look For Stock My Friend And Get A 9 Not An 8
I agree with what he has to say.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Don't hate on the non MIVAK guys.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

not hatin i got an 8.....luve it but 9>8
Old Jun 1, 2007, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Nah... don't think I can afford a 9. Looking for something around the 22-23500 price... nothing over. This car was offered to me at 23,5
Old Jun 1, 2007, 11:20 AM
Former Vendor

Dood, your driving on the wrong side of the road! If it was me, I wouldn't buy a used car thats been modded. Previous owners tend to beat the crap outa them, especially right before a trade in. Just my.02
Old Jun 1, 2007, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Keep looking theres others out there dont just go with whats convienently near by you might find one cheaper with less miles.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

I don't know where you are from but I have an 03 BBY w/53000 miles that has never been modded for sale that is cheaper than 23K. See my for sale add in the cars for sale section. Good luck either way
Old Jun 1, 2007, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alot of people always say, don't buy modded Evo buy a stock one.. bla bla bla, buy a 9.. It's really simple..

Any Evo.. that is ever used at some point was driven hard.. It's the nature of the beast.. People don't buy evo's for their mom's and dad's.. its an enthusiast car. Even in stock from it's very fast.. Simply modding a car doesn't make it less durable or not as good. It's always bad advice to tell someone not to buy a modded car. Every car has a unique story. I for one take care very well of my car and yet I run it pretty hard when I get in the mood.. But I have had zero problems with it.. It all depends on the car.

From what the user describes, this seems like a pretty good deal and the car's condition seems to point to the fact that it was taken care of. Low miles.. is a Plus.. I say look around and find the best deal.. You're going to mod it at some point anyway so don't worry if it's stock or not. Actually not being stock might save you a few bucks.

However I will say I paid 27K for my 2003 Evo Brand new out the door back in 2004, so almost 3 years ago now. 21-22 seems about right.. Try to haggle for the price if possible to get it down 1,000, 24K seems a bit high for the year..
Old Jun 1, 2007, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the encouragement Jedi. I really wanted a good explanation as to why or why not to go with this car.

Btw, what is the cheap *** electronic boost gauge on the steering column? It seems like it is only hooked up to read boost... although it has 'high/low' settings, but seeing a manual boost controller under the hood tells me it wasn't hooked up.

Like I said though, beside the stupid looking carbon hood, the body is very clean. One dent and two scratches which will be fixed and the interior is flawless enough to be confused with a brand new car. Not one stain, literally. Its a hard choice...it really is.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Springfield, MO huh... I was born there.

But anyways, what you really need to do is find a good mechanic who is knowledgeable about Evo's in your area and get the dealer to let you take it to them for inspection.

If the transfer case is going bad, which it almost sounds like it is, that might be why the guy traded it so fast. Your looking at a $2000+ repair bill down the road if the tc is dying.

It looks like someone was running a lot of boost, burned up the factory clutch, and put in a heavy duty something or other. If driven incorrectly with a super strong grabby clutch you kill the tranny and transfer case.

You REALLY don't want to have to pay to get that fixed.

Oh, the thing on the column is a crappy ebc. IF you buy the car, ditch it. Also get a JDM MR DV or something installed and get that crappy bov out of there... more trouble than its worth.

Actually use that as a negotiation tactic. Tell them that Bov actually cause the car to run in a lean condition which can damage the motor (because it can) and that the replacement part to put the right one in is 500-1000 in parts and labor. Stealerships charge so much these days for simple things they might even believe you

But get that tc checked before you buy!!!!!!@

Last edited by s2kguy; Jun 1, 2007 at 12:19 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

How does a mechanic check a transfer case anyway? What do they look for, signs of leaks?