Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo on a road trip?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2007, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo on a road trip?

Guys,

Taking a week vacation to Myrtle Beach. My gf and I are discussing whether take the Evo or not... She wants me take her beater (Kia) because she thinks I'll be worrying if somethings going to happen to the car while we're down there, which in the past, on some occasions I do. My questions to you all are would you take your Evo down there? Is Myrtle Beach pretty safe from dirtbag haters and stereo theives? Or is she right, we should just take the beater?
Old Jun 4, 2007, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there are haters everywhere. but do you really want to drive your car out there. maybe it will be better to take her car but then you'd be worrying about your car sitting at home. how reliable is her car? maybe you should drive. but then again its on you.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
sure why not- gas is expensive though
Old Jun 4, 2007, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Take the beater, put less mileage on the evo. I'm sure the kia will be way better on gas.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car will be perfectly safe at home. Reliablilty of her car is my concern. Nothing has gone wrong with it, but it is a 2001 Kia w/ 73k miles on it. I guess I would be afraid her car would crap out on us.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i took my 8 on a drive from norcal to l.a., 1800 miles roundtrip. parked on the street for 3 days cause my buddy insisted on driving. not a problem encountered. about 200-250 in gas, and i was driving in 105 degree weather. i would stop every now and then, but realistically, i didn't have to. i would say yes, the evo is great for the trip, but the area you would be at, i'm not too sure. is it really ghetto? park in a garage or in a well lit or visible area. not 100% protection, but what can ya do?
Old Jun 4, 2007, 03:19 PM

Take the Kia. You don't have to worry about door dings, finding a place to park, etc...
Old Jun 4, 2007, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

i drove mine down there along with about 8 other evos
Old Jun 4, 2007, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

I faced the same problem a few weeks ago. I love driving the Evo long distances, but I hate leaving the car in unfamiliar places where just about anything can happen. That little voice of the devil's advocate starts to creep in more and more, telling you to check the car or that something's already happened.

Nothing did happen -- but once I got home I changed my insurance policy to have a lower deductible for comprehensive coverage (vandalism, etc), thinking that might reduce the worrying a bit.

I would make the decision based on how many sketchy places you'll have to park it and for how long. Oh, and how tolerant your GF is to ever-present paranoia.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 04:32 PM

I just got back from Myrtle Beach. I left Friday morning and arrived later that night. My car was streetside for 2 days in a development 5 mins from the infamous Broadway. BTW, go to Revolutions, bumping club.

I think I got more looks when I was taking the back roads down there (from young kids).

In summary I traveled 982 miles there and back. I had the AC on the whole trip, and on the way back traveled in a torrent of rain for 9 hours, no joke. This tropical storm Barry popped up out of nowwhere and followed me home from MB to MD. In summary got 20 mpgs. Lets not forget I had to pull past a couple of cars on those single laners.

Me+ Sirius +Evo +GPS+open road = FUN TRIP

Your car will be safe in MB.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

evo+ sirius is the best roadtrip combo ever.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by jjm4life
evo+ sirius is the best roadtrip combo ever.
+1

We take one of the EVOs 1200+ miles round trip every summer to the Outer Banks in NC

My 03 has 70k+. Id drive it to cali and back without a second thought. Its a car man drive it
Old Jun 4, 2007, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Im going to Myrtle Beach in August. I'm taking my evo down there. My buddys got a house down there so I have a garage to park in @ night. As far as parking around town I don't think its that bad down there-right? I posted up in Southeast section to see if there will be any meets, carshows, or trackdays while I'm down there. Revolutions-gonna have to remember that club to check out. Anything else thats popping down there thats a must to check out?
Old Jun 4, 2007, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Took my evo down to the rents house in April, great ride. I didn't stop on the trip down or back. Its a great area to ride around in, the sun, the ocean, nice highways. I spent about $230 in gas, but well worth it. Careful tho, don't be speeding cause they can be ruff down there. Have a drink for me, I wish I was going back down soon...
Old Jun 4, 2007, 05:29 PM

only thing that would stop me is 80 feels like 50 inthese cars.