Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Hi...Just got my first evo!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2007 | 04:57 PM

Hi...Just got my first evo!!

Hello all. Just got an 06 EVO MR yesterday and am pretty pleased with it. Used to have an '03 cobra until this past january when the missus made me trade it in on a mazda cx-7. We just got divorced and I got the mazda, so my first vehicle thought was to trade it in on another performance car....was looking at mazdaspeed3's because I didn't think I'd be able to swing the cost of an evo.

Then....I got a promotion at work with a little extra loot and was able to find a dealer near me to sell me the MR at invoice

Anyhoo, drove it a couple hundred miles between yesterday and today, and I must say that I'm quite enjoying it. I look forward to perusing the forums and learning about my new car, much how I learned about my cobra back in the day...

Cheers!!

By the way...anyone wanna tell me what the MR's structural weaknesses are? With my cobra it was the independent rear suspension, so I was wondering if I should be aware of any possible trouble zones. My only thought was maybe the clutch. Can it survive the high rpm launches? I'm afraid to try one until I know it's (semi) safe.
Old Jun 17, 2007 | 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Whats your plans with it? Drag Race?
I would say if you plan on going up in power get a twin disk clutch.
Congratz on the new buy and welcome to Evom!
Old Jun 17, 2007 | 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Welcome to the family!!
Old Jun 17, 2007 | 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
Welcome to the family!!
LOL edit
Old Jun 17, 2007 | 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats and welcome.
Old Jun 17, 2007 | 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ifarted2
LOL edit
It was FAST wasn't It?
Old Jun 17, 2007 | 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
It was FAST wasn't It?
Smoking fast!
Evolved Member

welcome aboard.
Evolved Member

congrats on new purchase..get to moddin!!
Old Jun 17, 2007 | 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

welcome to evo M
Old Jun 17, 2007 | 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

hi.
Old Jun 17, 2007 | 06:16 PM

It's my daily driver, though I'll probably do a lil bit of drag naughtiness with it. I'm not planning on modding quite yet, that's why I was curious as to well the stock clutch will hold up after a 5k rpm launch. I'm still getting used to the torque curve too. I was used to the cobra's, which was pretty much torque on tap. It's entertaining to me how the power just shoves on after 3500 rpm's, but under that there's NOTHING!! Almost stalled it the first time I went to move.

The winding roads in pennsylvania where I went this weekend were a friggin blast though. It's nice that when the powerband hits, there's no drama at the rear wheels. Just points and goes. Feels every bit as strong as my old cobra (that had well over a hundred more horsepower) once it hits its groove.

What the hell does it take to break the wheels loose? I figure you pretty much gotta be driving it like you stole it.
Old Jun 18, 2007 | 08:12 AM

Hey man, You must be pleased with the handling, styling, and design of the evo over that cobra. no?
Old Jun 18, 2007 | 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Welcome...I read post about some evo owner turnnig over to a cobra. GL and whatch out for that mod bug...
Old Jun 18, 2007 | 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by SVT Mike
It's my daily driver, though I'll probably do a lil bit of drag naughtiness with it. I'm not planning on modding quite yet, that's why I was curious as to well the stock clutch will hold up after a 5k rpm launch. I'm still getting used to the torque curve too. I was used to the cobra's, which was pretty much torque on tap. It's entertaining to me how the power just shoves on after 3500 rpm's, but under that there's NOTHING!! Almost stalled it the first time I went to move.

The winding roads in pennsylvania where I went this weekend were a friggin blast though. It's nice that when the powerband hits, there's no drama at the rear wheels. Just points and goes. Feels every bit as strong as my old cobra (that had well over a hundred more horsepower) once it hits its groove.

What the hell does it take to break the wheels loose? I figure you pretty much gotta be driving it like you stole it.
You won't get a great launch with the stock rev limiter in place. Once you get the car reflashed, you can raise the limiter so that you can launch at a higher RPM (usually it's around 6000 rpm).

Unfortunately, the clutch won't last long with this, so be prepared to shell out the money for an aftermarket one.

Being in Cleveland, you're only about an hour away from Buschur Racing. When you do decide to mod (and you will... ), I'd have no hesitation in recommending them for your parts/tuning. I'm running a number of their items, and was just tuned by Al (Dynoflash) on their dyno back in May, and it's a HUGE improvement over stock!

By the way, where in PA were you this weekend? I've found a couple of nice, windy back roads here that are really a blast to drive.