Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

I'm seriously considering an EVO IX

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2007, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter
I remember reading one of the EVO vs STi car mag tests got 15 mpg in their test of the EVO IX.
It all depends on how you drive. I just got back from a 280+ round trip, virtually all highway, and averaged 24.8 mpg for that tank of gas. And that's with the A/C on half the time, typically going between 80-85 mph, even with a little bit of L.A. traffic and throwing it into 4th gear to pass some cars.
Anyone care to comment on how the release of the EVO X will affect resale/depreciation of the EVO IX?
I don't think it will have a huge negative impact on the value. Personally, I feel the Evo X will only increase the value to potential tuners. For one thing, the IX is obviously the last iteration of the 4G63 engine, so it's not just bulletproof but at its absolute best, plus the IX is far more responsive to mods than the VIII, so it's pretty coveted. Also, the IX was only available for the 2006 model year, so it's somewhat limited, since when you think about it, the VIII was produced over three model years (2003-2005).
Old Jun 21, 2007, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go with the IX man, it sounds like your mind is already made up and if you pass it up , you'll always wonder what it would have been like.....My IX SSL gets on average about 21-24 mpg city/highway, mostly tame driving, but with some accleration bursts on the freeways. Astoundingly, last time I filled up after some pretty long freeway trips, I got 27 MPG!!!! Which was unheard of for me! Guess all the conditions were just right, but I never expect that to realistically happen again.

And, as mentioned similarly...I actually think the depreciation of the IX will be minimal, if not the opposite. The X is a new era and the IX was only made for one year. All of the Evo's hold there value very well regardless, so I wouldnt worry about that too much.

Sum it up, go with IX RS, you'll love it!
Old Jun 21, 2007, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Red_06_EvoRS
The 2006 RS has an aluminum roof (along with front fenders & hood) so that shouldn't sway you either way.

As far as production numbers, I asked the local dealership and this is what they said:

Total Evos made worldwide: 21,047
Total RS models made: 903
2006 RS models made: 358
My 2006 RS was number 155.
Wow, I thought Mitsu made about 2000 RS in '06. Anyway.....

As far as your decision go, the Evo will be the best car to drive compare to your previous vehicles. The interior is subpar, but the seats are awesome. The Evo is definitely more "raw" than the STI. I, myself have an bone stock '06 Evo RS and I beat my cousin '07 STI with intake, DP, exhaust by 2 car length form 40-110mph.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 08:06 AM

+1 for the IX whichever model you can find. You won't regret it!
Old Jun 21, 2007, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Good luck getting a deal done on an RS. I'm extremely happy with mine. I average 19mpg for mixed driving, I get around 24 on the highway. The radio install is simple, as the RS comes prewired. The only thing I covet are power locks/windows and the HID headlights.

The EVO RS is the BEST Bang for the Buck performance car on the market. Bar None.

I also think it could possibly be the most expensive car that come equiped with crank windows.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

^ Actually, the Ferrari Enzo has crank windows :P You got beat out by $630,000.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 06RS
Good luck getting a deal done on an RS. I'm extremely happy with mine. I average 19mpg for mixed driving, I get around 24 on the highway. The radio install is simple, as the RS comes prewired. The only thing I covet are power locks/windows and the HID headlights.

The EVO RS is the BEST Bang for the Buck performance car on the market. Bar None.

I also think it could possibly be the most expensive car that come equiped with crank windows.
Good luck is right. At this point the deal isn't working out (by phone). I'll keep you guys posted as I'm in no hurry to buy. This car is a WANT...not a NEED.

The lack of power locks doesn't bother me. I would get a good alarm with door lock actuators. I might miss the power windows though. Are most of you guys installing aftermarket stereos or buying OEM stuff? I wouldn't want my car to get broken into for some aftermarket head unit.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
^ Actually, the Ferrari Enzo has crank windows :P You got beat out by $630,000.
Hahaha
Old Jun 22, 2007, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Good luck is right. At this point the deal isn't working out (by phone). I'll keep you guys posted as I'm in no hurry to buy. This car is a WANT...not a NEED.

The lack of power locks doesn't bother me. I would get a good alarm with door lock actuators. I might miss the power windows though. Are most of you guys installing aftermarket stereos or buying OEM stuff? I wouldn't want my car to get broken into for some aftermarket head unit.
I installed OEM unit.

The power windows is the thing I can do with out, but I admit I do miss power door locks. I hate having to make sure each and every time that all the doors are locked, especially when you transport people all the time who always forget to lock the doors. Also the RS is a pretty loud car inside, I actually thought all EVOs were loud inside, until I got a ride in a EVO IX GSR. Other than that, I absolutely love my IX RS and the fact that it is so rare makes me love my car even more. Absolutely one of the best bang for the buck cars out there. As far as gas milage, if I don't drive the sh*t out the car, I get about 20mpg or so.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

It looks like I might've worked out a deal on this IX RS I've been looking at. If all goes well then I'll be driving an EVO on Wednesday.

So since it's not on a Mitsu lot I don't get the 10 yr/100k warranty right? What's the normal warranty?

I haven't seen the car in person yet, but it only has 1300 miles and looks IMMACULATE from the pics so far. What all should I look for when test driving and inspecting it? I'm hoping it was never modified, but I don't think so since I talked to the previous owner who said it was a garage queen.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

So since it's not on a Mitsu lot I don't get the 10 yr/100k warranty right? What's the normal warranty?
You still retain the original bumper-to-bumper warranty, but the powertrain warranty (10yr/100k) gets reduced to 5yr/60k when it goes to a second owner.
I haven't seen the car in person yet, but it only has 1300 miles and looks IMMACULATE from the pics so far. What all should I look for when test driving and inspecting it? I'm hoping it was never modified, but I don't think so since I talked to the previous owner who said it was a garage queen.
Since it has such low mileage, you shouldn't worry too much, although it's odd that the owner would get rid of the car so soon. Be sure to ask why he's getting rid of it at this point. Personally, I would think it's very unusual for an RS to be a garage queen, unless the seller just has that many other vehicles to the point where he didn't get a chance to take the car to a track at least a few times.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
You still retain the original bumper-to-bumper warranty, but the powertrain warranty (10yr/100k) gets reduced to 5yr/60k when it goes to a second owner.

Since it has such low mileage, you shouldn't worry too much, although it's odd that the owner would get rid of the car so soon. Be sure to ask why he's getting rid of it at this point. Personally, I would think it's very unusual for an RS to be a garage queen, unless the seller just has that many other vehicles to the point where he didn't get a chance to take the car to a track at least a few times.
Thanks for the warranty info.

I was trying to work a deal with the original owner, but he ended up trading it in. He was selling because he was going through a divorce. He told me he had a IX MR that he did some mods on, but garaged the RS. He had plans for the RS, but **** hit the fan with his marriage I guess.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

I say get the IX. If you don't 3 years from now you will still be thinking about getting a IX. I say just get it you only live once.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 04:50 PM
Account Disabled

I wouldnt worry about the warrenty since mitsu voids it if you breath too hard in the car, just keep a few buck in the bank and when something breaks replace it with something better.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

BUMP...check out the updates in the original thread.

Quick Reply: I'm seriously considering an EVO IX