Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

I'm seriously considering an EVO IX

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm seriously considering an EVO IX

I'm a n00b here. I've lurked here and there, but I finally decided to sign up and post...and possibly become a traitor to my Subaru roots. I've been changing cars quite often over the years for different reasons, in most cases financial. Things are much better now that I have a stable career with a good pay raise coming in less than a year.

I've owned the following cars leading up to thinking about an EVO IX... '00 Integra Type R (did a lot of AutoX and track days and loved the car). Then I traded that for an '03 WRX. Fun car, but big mistake. I did fall in love with AWD, but the WRX desperately needed mods for me to be happy with it. I traded the WRX for an '05 STi. I absolutely loved that car. I de-winged and de-badged it. Crap happens and I was put in a situation where I lost a roommate and I had to sell it. It was a great car and it will still be missed to this day. It went to a good home though. I actually got to drive it the other day and it's Cobb Stage 2. The new owner is a cool, older guy in his 50's. I tried to daily drive my 93 SE-R and the motor blew on me. I had to buy a car and didn't want to spend too much so I picked up an 07 Honda Fit Sport. The Fit is a great daily driver, but it's just not me. I'm at a point where I'm ready to sell/trade the Fit and possibly the (now running) SE-R also.

I haven't driven an EVO IX yet, but I did get a chance to fun run a local, bone stock EVO 8 MR. The sad thing is I shaved a second off my best time in my STi with it and I didn't even launch the EVO.

I've got my eyes set on an EVO IX RS. I really like the idea of the RS and the price is definitely right. MUCHO bang for the buck. Will I need a radio, why yes. I'd install an alarm with door lock actuators. Short of that I can live with crank windows.

My favorite cars I've owned are easily the ITR and the STi. I think the EVO RS will be a good car that has qualities of both of those. Point and go handling, yet still raw. I might miss the ABS for daily driving, but other than that I think this is the way to go.

EDIT: A few Q's
1. What kind of gas mileage are you guys getting with your EVO IXs?
2. Should I be concerned with Mitsu's financial well being as a company?
3. I've done some searches and I can't seem to find production #'s for the RS. Anyone here know?

I'll leave you with a few pics of some of my previous cars. Please reply back with any comments or suggestions.

UPDATE 6-27-07

I left this morning to check out the car and drove it home in the early afternoon. The car was everything I had hoped for and more. 1300 miles and CLEAN as new. The car drives incredibly well. I'm very impressed with it thus far. It pulls like a freight train and handles incredibly well...I can't believe how well it responds to even minimal steering inputs. I had a permanent smile on my face for most of the day.

I stopped by the local car show and I was a little suprised at how much attention this car got. I was thinking that most people would just walk by and not be too concerned, but I had a lot of people want to talk to me about it.

Now for the pics.

Cellphone pic. First time seeing my EVO.

The RS and I after signing the dotted line (my dad sucks at pictAR taking)

At the car show...local guy took some pics with a real camera

Last edited by Bounty Hunter; Jun 27, 2007 at 11:22 PM. Reason: UPDATE 6-27-07
Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:06 PM
Evolving Member

It's going to be a serious challenge to find a new RS, but there are a few still out there. Are you looking used or new?

Nice pics/cars btw
Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:08 PM
Account Disabled

chances are you will love the IX but you should also consider looking into a SE model as it has the aluminum roof which imho is better to have along with pw,pdl since you want the locks anyways.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not looking for brand new at the moment. None of the local dealers in a 300 mile radius seem to have any new ones. I'm not opposed to getting an SE or base EVO, but price is definitely a factor for me.

Last edited by Bounty Hunter; Jun 17, 2007 at 11:26 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 08:07 AM
Account Disabled

If your buying used then save a HUGE amount of money and get a VIII RS. You can get a 05 RS for around 20-22k and you will only be down about 20hp from a IX, mod for mod most 8's are only about 10-20hp behind the 9's. For me thats not worth thousands of $$$. Say you save 5grand buying a 8, you could buy a ix turbo,tbe,cams,coilovers,sway bars,a race seat,and tires with that money.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

No offense to VIII owners, but I don't like the looks of them nearly as much. I was always a big VII fan and was hoping Mitsu would've brought that bodystyle over. The IX reminds me more of the VII which is a good thing IMO. Also, I don't plan on doing big mods at this point.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Old Jun 19, 2007, 07:27 PM

The 2006 RS has an aluminum roof (along with front fenders & hood) so that shouldn't sway you either way.

As far as production numbers, I asked the local dealership and this is what they said:

Total Evos made worldwide: 21,047
Total RS models made: 903
2006 RS models made: 358
My 2006 RS was number 155.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

hmmmmmm
Old Jun 19, 2007, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Red_06_EvoRS
The 2006 RS has an aluminum roof (along with front fenders & hood) so that shouldn't sway you either way.

As far as production numbers, I asked the local dealership and this is what they said:

Total Evos made worldwide: 21,047
Total RS models made: 903
2006 RS models made: 358
My 2006 RS was number 155.
That would make them more rare than any USDM ITRs of any year.

I have to call the salesman back with the EVO IX RS tomorrow to try and work numbers. I should know more very soon...
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
1. For 2006, I averaged 20.8 mpg in daily driving. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time or money to take it to a track, so it's all mostly driving to work and back or a few fun drives through some curvy roads. My best mpg was 25.2 (all highway, no A/C, cool temps) and my worst was 18.01 (all city, A/C, summer temps). Obviously my lack of going to tracks helps keep up the average mpg. I'm on my second Evo IX, and mpg seems to be pretty much the same.
2. No. When a company falls into the pits but has intentions of bouncing back, they want to keep their customers happy with their products while trying to gain a few new ones, so it's not like the product will be sub-par. It's not blemish-free, as the paint generally has negative comments, but it's a quality car. The new Lancer seems to be selling quite well, so Mitsubishi will still be around.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

here, this might make you jump...

http://socalevo.net/index.php?option...een#msg7070613
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

That's better mpg than I got in my 05 STi. I averaged 18 mpg, but I did mostly city driving.

I would be all over those deals if I was anywhere close to SoCal. I'm smack dab in the middle of the US in a place most of you probably haven't heard of. Unless of course you're a College World Series fan. We host the CWS.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter
That's better mpg than I got in my 05 STi. I averaged 18 mpg, but I did mostly city driving.
Yeah, I noticed that. My friend and I took his STi to Las Vegas from the OC last summer, and I think we got just over 20 mpg on the way home, all freeway, no traffic.
Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter
I would be all over those deals if I was anywhere close to SoCal. I'm smack dab in the middle of the US in a place most of you probably haven't heard of. Unless of course you're a College World Series fan. We host the CWS.
I know a little, I went to UC Irvine, and I hear our baseball team is doing alright so far.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Yeah, I noticed that. My friend and I took his STi to Las Vegas from the OC last summer, and I think we got just over 20 mpg on the way home, all freeway, no traffic.

I know a little, I went to UC Irvine, and I hear our baseball team is doing alright so far.
I remember reading one of the EVO vs STi car mag tests got 15 mpg in their test of the EVO IX.

Yeah UC Irvine did pretty well for a team that has only had baseball the past 6 or 7 yrs.

Anyone care to comment on how the release of the EVO X will affect resale/depreciation of the EVO IX?

Also, I'm trying to work numbers with this dealer on the IX RS. At this point they're seriously trying to jerk me around. I'm making a counter offer tomorrow and we'll see how that goes.

Quick Reply: I'm seriously considering an EVO IX