Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Broken Bolt on Turbo please HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2007, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Broken Bolt on Turbo please HELP!!!!

DISCLAIMER (I HAVE SEARCHED WITH NO LUCK ON ANY NEW IDEAS OR TECHNIQUES )

This is my 5th ex manifold install and the second time the bolt/or stud has broken on me! I even used anti seize and wd-40 on em !!

Now none of the bolt is left above to grab with vice... Ive had this happen before and it took tons of drill bits and my sholder killed after. 2DAYS TWO!!!!

Im asking for any new ideas to make this go faster cause I work 60 + hours a week and do not have much time to do this. what kinda bits should i use? and new techniques for removing it? I will have the complete hotside out and I do have drill press at my house... any more info would help tremendously!
Old Jun 19, 2007, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, what a b**ch!!. I can sympathize! So you´re removing the exhaust manifold from the engine, right? I´d just take it to a machine shop and let someone else do it. Of course I´m lazy. While you´re at it, replace all turbo-to-manifold studs with high quality through bolts, washers and nuts.

Make sure when you use anti-sieze to get the most temp resistant stuff that you can find. I have a can of Caterpillar(as in yellow bulldozer) high-temp anti-sieze. It works great.

Maybe send it in as an exchange piece to one of the shops that does exhaust manifold porting and buy yourself a ported & coated manifold in its place.

Last edited by sparky; Jun 19, 2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well....You can use this to help you if you have the room to use a drill...its a broken bolt extractor.....allows you to safely remove the busted bolt with a drill.....

http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?P...utm_medium=CMP

Last edited by SilverShadow03; Jun 19, 2007 at 06:34 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
had the same thing happen to me 3 times. ive tried everything to remove the bolts with no luck. ended up taking it to a napa machine shop each time. they used a drill press and retaped the hole twice. the 3rd time i went with nuts and bolts not studs. i know its a pain in the butt to remove again but it might be your easiest option if theres a machine shop in your area.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

get some pics up evan and let me see whats going on ?
Old Jun 20, 2007, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Hey guys sorry, started to do this project last night never got back online... Thanks so much for the help and ideas!!!Thats were evo owners shine!!!

So i went and bought a die grinder, and a used ceramic coated ss o2... and took off the manifold, radiator, dp, and all supporting stuff. I then removed the whole hotside of the turbo and set it up on the drill press.. I then started drillin with LOTS of wd-40 and got threw!!!! All in one drill bit too!!!! I love the drill press!!! Anywho I then ported out everything myself with the die grinder (most the time went to this ) And button it all back up!!!

Sorry no pics of the whole thing but thanks so much for the ideas!!! I hope this will be the last time i have to do this!!!
Old Feb 28, 2008, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

I have this same problem I'm about to tackle today
Old Feb 28, 2008, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

I hate it!!
Old Feb 28, 2008, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

the same thing happened to me while swapping manifolds. i tried pb blaster, wd40, vice grip, heating the bolt, etc. and nothing
there was about 1/2 to 3/4" sticking out and i used a bolt remover that took it right out. i found this thing at sears and it looked just like the piece you hook up to a rachet. all i did was hammer this thing with teeth onto the bolt and then just hooked up a rachet to it and off it came.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Those extractor kits suck big time. Mabye a 10% chance of working on something that is really REALLY stuck in there (ie: exhaust cast iron crap). I would fix this one, either drill and retap, or mabye extract it if your lucky, or send it off as a core and get a new ported/coated one, or whatever.

Next time you loosen bolts in cast iron, or heavily rusted bolts. Get a blowtorch and learn how to use it. It will save you hours of heartache.