Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

xs power vs stock FMIC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2007, 07:29 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by denolloyd
The XS Power Intercooler is not bad at all. If I remember correctly, the bushcur race intercooler outperformed the XS by apprx 10 whp. Im not sure if the car was re-tuned when the XS Power Intercooler was installed, however the results were pretty decent considering the price difference.

I understand that some feel as though the XS Core is succeptable to excessive heat soak. This may be the case, however for those of you running Meth, this really shouldnt be a huge concern. The Meth cools the intake charge so much, often heat soak wont be an issue. I have made pretty decent power using the XS Power Intercooler. I have a few more parts / mods going into my car as we speak. I hope to make 620 - 650 with this intercooler in the very near future.

So.... If you have the extra bread, and it will make you sleep better at night, by all means, by the Buschur Intercooler. From what I understand, its a great product

If you dont mind purchasing a cheaper alternative that may not perform as well (once again, meth should take care of this), go for the XS Power.

I'm no guru or engineer, this is just my two cents based upon my experience with the XS Power Intercooler...

Cheers
yes sir. also my next mod is meth- if im allowed. lol
Old Jun 22, 2007, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by APEX1
yeah- come on man this thing does not heat soak it just doesnt run as cool as the Buschur,
I could be wrong but, what about these talons and gsx that are running turbos equilavent to the 03 Evos with these dinky little intercoolers that are hiding in the bumper somwehere? Are they blowing engines and crap cause of there tiny IC heatsoaking. Ive never heard of any!!!
most DSM drivers aren't road racing or autocrossing either though. drag racing doesn't heat soak nearly as much as those conditions.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 10:03 PM
Account Disabled

exactly!! I don't do any of those driving activities, so I went with the xs power over the buschur. oh yeah $132 shipped.lol
Old Jun 23, 2007, 04:50 AM
Evolving Member

What did you use for couplings? The in/out is 3" right? Got any pics without the bumper cover on? Any cutting needed?
Old Jun 23, 2007, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone who thinks an i/c with a 3.5" thick core is going to heat soak faster than stock is nuts. Ill take my chances for the 150 bones

Old Jun 23, 2007, 07:48 AM
Account Disabled

http://xs-power.com/mitsubishi/mitsu009.html
Old Jun 23, 2007, 09:48 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by prj.evo
Anyone who thinks an i/c with a 3.5" thick core is going to heat soak faster than stock is nuts. Ill take my chances for the 150 bones

the xs power is 3.75 thick
Old Jun 23, 2007, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. SS
i love the "you bought a car for 30g's how can u put a xxx dollar part on it.

WTF do u people think you are driving? hello! 30 grand gets u an AVERAGE car these days like a family sedan or a mildly optioned small to midsize SUV.

man there are hyundais costing 30g's put the glass dick down and stop smoking your crack. yeah u have a great sports car but its not some exotic ****... give it up already. and i agree with the post that mentions something to the effect that no one whos actually bought has had any complaints or has gained NOTHING on theire setup.

incidentally im moving up to a green and some other supporting mods and i did the same, ebay cooler, cuz i dont find it necessary to spend another 1 g on an intercooler, i doubt on my pump gas low boost setup that it will make much difference at all.

whats your point? 30g is 30g...who cares what your buying.

all i know is i like to buy good quality parts. believe me theres a reason your paying 150 for a intercooler, as opposed to 600....you get what you pay for. maybe right now the intercooler is fine, but what about down the road.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 03:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
In motorsports are no miracles ,period. Get used to it.
It is better then stock so what? Big deal. Its not better then the "expensive" ones.
When you will step further ,then you will realize what we are talking about .Then you will buy another one and this unit will be expensive. Since you not using it anymore.
Countless threads about quality vs price. Some people pay attention to those, some learn it a hard way. Your choice.
As somebody stated before me :" you get what you pay for."
Just don't try to make history with that FMIC, it's not going to happen.
Looks awful, at least they should make it looking better.
sorry,

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jun 24, 2007 at 04:00 AM.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 09:05 AM

two buddies of mine both running the same setup, cams and fp green. Both on 91 and meth. One has the ebay, and the other has the "expensive" intercooler. The ebay is trapin 3 mph faster, and running 11.5 as to the "expensive" one is running 11.6
Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thats not a good comparison..

one could be better drive, both cars dont have the same exact parts, tunes effect this a lot.... way to much variables

Robevo RS, well said brother. at least someone agrees with what im saying
Old Dec 1, 2008, 06:09 PM
Account Disabled

That test doesn't prove anything the best way to test it is to log the air temp's,and that they stay constant between pull's whether on the dyno or street.The xs intercooler is decent for the money but when compared to a buschur or garret core there's no comparison.The xs intercooler is a bar and plate but that doesnt make the core efficent it has to do with fin configuration,plate design,size,and number of fin's per inch.Remember you pay for what you get.