Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

pros and cons of evo 8/9 mr

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:20 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alvin I think you should just stick to modding the oz for know.... things like the cherry bomb muffler your putting on it is just about your level. lol
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i meant up to 3200 rpm, like being in 4th @ 35-40 mph, (instead of third, which you would be in if you were gettin on it), and hit the gas, it will take a couple of seconds to catch up. not being @ 3200 vs. 3200 rpm. dang, this is like an a.s.e. test...... you know you're stuff for sure talon.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nuked
Push in Clutch, grab shifter, push forward into 3rg, floor throttle

SQ
newb. LOL.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heavens turbo
newb. LOL.

I may be a newb here, but I do know what gear to have my car in for best performance.

SQ
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:33 PM

it does have lag under 3200 rpms. if you're in the wrong gear, like 4th instead of third, and you hit the gas, it will take about 1-3 seconds to catch up. i'm bone stock. it's a diffrent story when it's modded. very fun all around car to own. chicks will hate it. that's a downside.
why will chicks hate it?

-I love my MR, just bought it and I heard what not about the six speed being a con, but I dont plan on exceding 400whp so I dont think it's really a big deal or much of a con at all, and when you drive it daily, its nice to have six gears.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:36 PM

newb. LOL.
calling someone a newb is dumb. most people who buy an evo have modded a car before and knows sh't bout em, so there not exactly newbs.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:38 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by MaxxPwr
calling someone a newb is dumb. most people who buy an evo have modded a car before and knows sh't bout em, so there not exactly newbs.
lol newb
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by ultimatesteve
lol newb
in my opinion your more of a newb if you roll stock homes.
-it'l be funny when you try to race me in my mazdaspeed protege, i'll be laughing as I muttter "newb" while i pass.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:48 PM
Account Disabled

It will be even better when i see you in my mini cooper at the track and make you look silly. Im cool of the street racing so dont get your panties all in a wad. K little guy.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

WOW. It never gets old to hear such throlls, such inexperience comments, such ignorance.

I find that people keeps trashing the 6 speed transmission just because the word of mouth. The 6 speed transmission was never a bad transmission, in fact it was and it is the best transmission. It shifts smoother and it has the best gearing ratio.. the roll aceleration is better.

There is nothing on stone that says that a 6 speed tranmsmission is worst than a 5 speed transmission for the 1/4 mile. There have been only maybe a couple of transmission failures on the 6 speeds but they were unrealted to 1/4 mile times.

I am not saying the 5 speed transmission is bad, I am perhaps saying that if you think the 6 speed tranny fails(2 or 3 bad ones) there are many more 5 speed failures out there(given the fact that there are many more 5 speed than 6 speed)

As per being a handicap transmission for the 1/4 mile?, well, if you live your car stock, then it is not a bad transmision at all, what is happening is that coincidentlly the speed window in which the majority of the Evo 8 or Evo 9 MR owners crosses the 1/4 mile happen to handicap the ETs due to the extra shifting however this is only happening in a very narrow speed window (110-115mph or so).

Shep or Team Rip might recommend the 5 speed over the 6 speed for racing arguing that the 5 speed is stronger. Well, that is a expert opinion but the reality is that not everyone has their cars modded, no everyone drag race their Evos so for that matter your 6 speed transmission Evo MR will do just fine.

The only Issue I ever had with my 6 speed was a slightly bent cable assy/fork engagement but that was my fault for shifting hardcore. Hoe many 5 speed transmission have had bigger failures? Well, my Evo 9 5 speed had a Chronic 5 gear grinding and the car only had 10000 miles when it developed.

Another local friend(justin) with his blue Evo 9 also developed a even bigger grinding issue with his 5 speed transmission.

Lets be serious people, there is no reason to mislead people, please weight all the factors before saying that the 6 speed is inferior.. that is why the FQ320, FQ340, FQ360, FQ400 and MR they all have 6 speed right?

Always remember my words, there have been only a couple of 6 speed failures and there weren't even drag racing related. How many 5 speed failures have happen? hundreds? thousands? oh, Ok... and again, remember that the 6 speed is a handicap when passing the 1/4 mile in a very narrow speed, in many cases it does not even apply and if you loose time on the shifting you also recup it in a more agressive short gear ratio acceleration.

my .2c

Carlos
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:55 PM

It will be even better when i see you in my mini cooper at the track and make you look silly. Im cool of the street racing so dont get your panties all in a wad. K little guy.
yea I'll try not to, sorry homes but I aint gettin excited or nothin nor am I gonna say nothin back cause then you'll have to say somethin back to that. I dont on the otherhand know what would ever posses you to put any kind of money into a cooper but whatever, to each his own I guess.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:57 PM
Account Disabled

The way I see it the 6speed is the best tranny or your average evo driver.... I personally have above average plans for mine so the 5spd is the better fit. If your not planning to mod the heck out of it the 6spd will work great for "almost" everyones needs. which one is best is going to be a case by case basis.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

The way I see it the 6speed is the best tranny or your average evo driver.... I personally have above average plans for mine so the 5spd is the better fit. If your not planning to mod the heck out of it the 6spd will work great for "almost" everyones needs. which one is best is going to be a case by case basis.

You expressed your point very well. I love the way you explained it yourself, I totally agree, you gave the short version, I gave the long version.

Carlos
Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:04 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by MaxxPwr
yea I'll try not to, sorry homes but I aint gettin excited or nothin nor am I gonna say nothin back cause then you'll have to say somethin back to that. I dont on the otherhand know what would ever posses you to put any kind of money into a cooper but whatever, to each his own I guess.
no problem buddy. to each their own right? Well I have a suprise for my next toy, it is deff going to be something of interest. Hopefully I will have it by the end of the month. As for the mini cooper thing, I realize its not everyones cup of tea but check to see what its capable of before you write it off. Great car in just about every way ther then torque... Its for sale by the way
Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:05 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
You expressed your point very well. I love the way you explained it yourself, I totally agree, you gave the short version, I gave the long version.

Carlos
cliffnotes ftw

Quick Reply: pros and cons of evo 8/9 mr