Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

major differences in evo8 vs evo9

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2007, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
major differences in evo8 vs evo9

I will be picking up an evo in the next month. I have been browsing around and would like to know the major differences between the evo8 and evo9 (engine and drivetrain wise) not worried about aesthetics or interior.

I heard the evo9's make more power than the evo8 with just equal bolt-on mods?

If i wanted to do a 3065 or even a gt35 turbo, and all supporting mods, would it make more sense just to pick up an 8?

Are the drivetrain's stronger in the 9's (for drag racing, etc)
Old Jul 14, 2007, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Basically the IX has a Revised coolant and oil passage way through the head and block, and Variable trimming on the intake cam. You can find more of them in the MR edition, only 1000 Evo 8 MRs exist in the USA. The Front bumper in the US is revised and in Japan the Rear is also. There are some other Things but Thats about the most of it.

power increase is 10HP from Factory, but when tuned with the same mods IX and VIII aren't too far off from Each other. You notice it most with minor mods like mine, I make about 10-20 more HP than an VIII with the same Mods would. My dyno Sheet is Uncorrected. If I had to guess I would say I actualy would have a corrected Hp of about 320, but thats not solid information. I will hopefully have a 1/4 mile time soon too.

Last edited by 3SgteGuru; Jul 14, 2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MIVEC in the IX makes any mod you do more agressive.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
if u are going to drag get a 5-speed
Old Jul 14, 2007, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about searching before posting? Do you really think we've never discussed the differences in VIIIs and IXs? It's obvious you haven't spent on moment researching, because not even all VIIIs can be lumped together. 05s are different than 03-04s, and then there are different models within the years: GSR, GSR w/SSL, RS, and MR.

Please do some homework before making new posts, and then if you must post a newbie question, please use the newbie forum.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
How about searching before posting? Do you really think we've never discussed the differences in VIIIs and IXs? It's obvious you haven't spent on moment researching, because not even all VIIIs can be lumped together. 05s are different than 03-04s, and then there are different models within the years: GSR, GSR w/SSL, RS, and MR.

Please do some homework before making new posts, and then if you must post a newbie question, please use the newbie forum.

you never seem to amaze me
Old Jul 14, 2007, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GT35REVO8
you never seem to amaze me
Alot of times the Mods and people beating the search function are right.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

i agree to search..not hard to find differences in years,models,etc..but warratalon is a tool when it comes to it.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

i agree to search..not hard to find differences in years,models,etc..but warratalon is a tool when it comes to it.
+1 The thing is he likes to be known as the a#$...get some pleasure out of it...so calling attention to him makes it worse

Oh well

Old Jul 14, 2007, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

i got turbo trix tuned & ran a 12.1 with a stock clutch i think im a little faster now took the car down the track with no launch & got a 12.4 but also added a bushuar ported intake mani
Old Jul 14, 2007, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rudager
+1 The thing is he likes to be known as the a#$...get some pleasure out of it...so calling attention to him makes it worse

Oh well

+2
Old Jul 14, 2007, 11:35 PM
Evolving Member

blah blah im such a newb. is there a thread comparing 8's to 9's, why not post a link instead of saying "search you newbie" cause i did search and found nothing that was that great comparing the two.

If mivec is the only major difference in the engine drivetrain i see no reason to get a 9
Old Jul 14, 2007, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon

Quite frankly the search function on this forum is not the greatest. Every time i have tried to use it i am very specific and i come up with 30 pages of general information that has nothing to do with what im searching for. As for people not asking questions in the general forum i think that's BS, if you don't know every detail about the car or you don't have a million posts you get repermanded by warrtalon . I have alot of posts on the yamaha r1 forum because everytime you post whether it be newbie, for sale or any other topics you get a post count. Drunk and venting, "FEMALES" sorry for the long post.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

If you're planning on going with a big turbo kit then stick to the VIII. You'll be able to have more options as far as the cams are conserned and you can pick up an VIII for much cheaper.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

If you're planning on going with a big turbo kit then stick to the VIII. You'll be able to have more options as far as the cams are conserned and you can pick up an VIII for much cheaper.

Quick Reply: major differences in evo8 vs evo9