Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Hallman MBC Vs. Greddy EBC

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hallman MBC Vs. Greddy EBC

Ok, had the car long enough time to buy some things, Boost controller, intake and fuel pump. So before I go and spend money I have a few questions.

To start I'm leaning toward a Greddy Profec B II but I know that the Hallman MBC are not bad for the cost at all either. I feel the EBC would give me better peace of mind to know where my boost is at, as opposed to just turning a knob and assuming I'm close. It definately would cost a lil more money but I think if it gives me peace of mind its worth it. Any opinions from people who have the Hallman or the Greddy.

Intake I'm going with a K&N drop in for now and fuel pump, the Walboro 255lph. I notice some places sell the pump by itself, and others sell it with a kit. What exactly is the kit, and is it necessary?

Also, where can I order this stuff from that has reasonable prices and is customer friendly as well as speedy?

I basically dont want a repeat of what happened with Gruppe-S

Thanks in advance

Nick
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

The Hallman MBC is the most popular. And you don't need the fuel pump kit, it makes the install easier but it's not needed.

Last edited by Rich EVO MR SE; Jul 22, 2007 at 10:18 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

If it was up to me, I'd go with an MBC. The previous owner of my car put in the Greddy Profec B and I have no idea how to use it lol. Sure it looks cool and has a bunch of features, but the MBC is just real easy to use.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MikeIsBoosted
If it was up to me, I'd go with an MBC. The previous owner of my car put in the Greddy Profec B and I have no idea how to use it lol. Sure it looks cool and has a bunch of features, but the MBC is just real easy to use.
Yeah I'd say screw the EBC, go w/ an MBC.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Is setting the MBC to a desired PSI accurate though?
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xxNosTankxx
Is setting the MBC to a desired PSI accurate though?
That's what an acurate boost gauge is for.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Are the intake, boost controller and fuel pump the only mods that would be on the car so far? If so, I don't believe you need the pump unless you plan on doing something like a larger turbo, high boost. And make sure you get a tune if you put that intake on and start playing with boost settings.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Car has a Tanabe TBE and Defi Bf's (oil press, boost press, water temp) soon to be installed. I want to eventually aim toward a 35r or 37r , but for now those would be the first mods. What do you think a safe boost is to run? To you think I would nee the fuel pump?
Old Jul 22, 2007, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Safe boost depends on different things but it seem like a peak 21-23psi is about what most run on the stock turbo. The fuel pump isn't needed for what you have but would be a good idea for anything like the upgraded turbo. Depends on how long you want the engine to last, as to how much boost you use. I'd spend the money on the basics first. You have the TBE, get a LICP, tune and the MBC. If you already have the fuel pump, it's easy to install and it won't hurt to have it in. BTW, what kind of intake do you have?
Old Jul 22, 2007, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

i was looking at goin with a K&N drop in for now, heard they are excellent drop in's for basic applications. After this I plan on the next modification beinbg a FMIC with the upper and lower pipes, prob some cams as well so maybe that helps...
Old Jul 22, 2007, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got stri boost gauge, and Hallman MBC installed on my car. Let me say that it's not hard to adjust the boost at ALL!! you'll see what i mean once u get it, and it's cheap!.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 03:58 PM

If your not going to turn the boost up super high then go with the MBC. I have the Hallman MBC and it worked great at about 22 psi, but when i turned my boost up to 28 its not holding my boost up to redline. I think it is just a problem with mine not holding my boost. I get full boost at about 5000rpms and then it tapers off till 8000rpms. So im getting the profec B.