Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Mods For An OZ Rally 2003

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2003, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods For An OZ Rally 2003

My freind has recently purcahsed a Lancer, and has been looking into some horsepower mods. Someone told him that with simple bolt ons, he would be making 200hp. I told him thats wrong, but would like to get some good info for him. What are some good mods? I was thinking intake, header, and exhaust would be good to start. Once thats done, look into some aggressive camshafts. Anyway, what kind of gains are you guys seeing?

Since this is my first post, I will let everyone know a little about my ride. Currently, the Prelude is stock except for a 60 shot of nitrous, and an intake. Although thats gonna change. Reservations have been made to have the motor completely built by defconmotorsports (.com) for a 175 shot of nitrous. As for appearance, carbon fiber hood, and a mugen front end. Exterior color change, black to silverstone metallic. Assuming everything turns out as planned, its gonna be one of the sickest streetable FWD cars around.
Old Jun 28, 2003, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

with intake headers and exhaust we would net close to 20 additional hp. Lancers only dyno 105-110 at the wheels 200 hp will only be achieved with a turbo setup! Roadrace makes a turbo kit that would do the trick! great company and products!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 28, 2003, 03:11 PM

He doesnt want to void warranty, so apparently turbo and nitrous are out. My dealership is cool with me having the nitrous on my car, they have given me no greif what so ever. I figure a CAI will give the most gains, and then header and exhaust to top it off. Once thats done, then some more aggressive camshafts with a SAFC to tune it on a dyno. I could see 130-140whp after all that, but thats far off from 200.
Old Jun 28, 2003, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

There are some NA setups starting to come along now. With RRM's new NA ECU flash and/or the cam upgrades available from RPW as well as some other upgrades RPW has, you could have a pretty strong NA setup. Bolt-ons won't get that far, with a few more advanced NA options, he may pull off 160 or 170, I'd guess.... but no one's really gone that far with NA setups, so who knows...
-N
Old Jun 29, 2003, 03:45 PM
Account Disabled

I'm building my engine before I go turbo....so anything related to NA Set-ups is a value to me....besides after the engine is built to take serious Forced Induction, then I could grab a Flashed ECU and a turbo kit.
Old Jun 30, 2003, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by i_love_spool
I'm building my engine before I go turbo....so anything related to NA Set-ups is a value to me....besides after the engine is built to take serious Forced Induction, then I could grab a Flashed ECU and a turbo kit.
How the hell are you gonna get 170-180 hp for the lancer?? With any NA setup I think you just gonna get liek 140-150 or less...

If you know a way then am intersted, cause am not going Turbo, but I want my car to atleast beat a SIR coupe
Old Jun 30, 2003, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

i can see an N/A set up pushing a buck-70...with money anything is possible. If your friend is looking to pull 200 hp at the wheels he will def. be voiding his warranty. Tell him to check out BostonLancers blow out sale before all his stuff is sold!!!
Old Jun 30, 2003, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Devas

How the hell are you gonna get 170-180 hp for the lancer?? With any NA setup I think you just gonna get liek 140-150 or less...

If you know a way then am intersted, cause am not going Turbo, but I want my car to atleast beat a SIR coupe
I'm probably at 155 N/A
Old Jun 30, 2003, 11:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
N/A fully built i could not get more than 120hp/tq at wheels. Thus thats around 138 at flywheel. A far cry from 150! This was with a fuel mod to lean me out as well. Car runs really rich, especially when modded. Now that RRM has ecu developed(with more aggressive set coming soon) i'd say that you could see as high as 150 to tire or about 170 at flywheel. But that is on the most aggressive setting which has not been developed/tested thus its pure speculation. On the safe side i'd say easily there is 130 hp at wheels attainable so thats about 150 on flywheel. N/A on this motor is tough as you have to seriously sink some cash to raise compression. Its an interference motor so there is like no allowable gap for decking head/block or coning pistons! Possibly a cam change could get you even higher but it's not compatable with RRM ecu as thats setup around Basic N/A mods non internal engine specific. Good luck to your friend. I'd do some simple mods and be happy... soon you may see a Carb cert come out for a turbo kit. Then you'll be legal and warranty shouldn't be voided.
Old Jun 30, 2003, 11:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Mitsubishi is also sticklers on engine mods. Most mods(visible ones) are considered voided items to motor repairs. They still service tranny/brakes/electrical/etc... as long as they can't prove damage was do to mod. Which they try to do all the time!
Old Jul 1, 2003, 12:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by mjbd
Once thats done, then some more aggressive camshafts with a SAFC to tune it on a dyno.
The Lancer is SOHC...

There's a dyno sheet w/ a 17whp gain from the RPW header/downpipe, drop-in filter, and muffler. That puts us back to about 120whp. Add in an intake, bored throttle body, highflow cat/testpipe, catback exhaust, and you might be up to 130. Camshaft + fuel management would hopefully crack at least 140. That dual throttle body setup from RPW would hopefully do the trick and get some 150whp NA Lancer setups.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 12:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Yeah that is true... i never consider the dual TB or quad TB's. I didn't know they neted those results on their cams yet. That is good for just cams. Are you sure that wasn't with intake/exhaust?? Seems more believable then. That's great though. I wish those mods were around when i was NA. Oh well, thanks for the info Ghost...
Old Jul 1, 2003, 01:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Boeturbolancer
Yeah that is true... i never consider the dual TB or quad TB's. I didn't know they neted those results on their cams yet. That is good for just cams. Are you sure that wasn't with intake/exhaust?? Seems more believable then. That's great though. I wish those mods were around when i was NA. Oh well, thanks for the info Ghost...
Glad I could lend some knowledge after gaining a lot from you, so right back.

Nobody's dyno'd the RPW cam yet, and as far as I can remember uranium's got the only stage 2/1.5 camshaft installed thus far. Just waiting for a dyno sheet to pop up, and I'll be dynoing my car once I've got my full NA setup done (from which I'll be going turbo).
Old Jul 1, 2003, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Boeturbolancer
N/A fully built i could not get more than 120hp/tq at wheels. Thus thats around 138 at flywheel. A far cry from 150! This was with a fuel mod to lean me out as well. Car runs really rich, especially when modded. Now that RRM has ecu developed(with more aggressive set coming soon) i'd say that you could see as high as 150 to tire or about 170 at flywheel. But that is on the most aggressive setting which has not been developed/tested thus its pure speculation. On the safe side i'd say easily there is 130 hp at wheels attainable so thats about 150 on flywheel. N/A on this motor is tough as you have to seriously sink some cash to raise compression. Its an interference motor so there is like no allowable gap for decking head/block or coning pistons! Possibly a cam change could get you even higher but it's not compatable with RRM ecu as thats setup around Basic N/A mods non internal engine specific. Good luck to your friend. I'd do some simple mods and be happy... soon you may see a Carb cert come out for a turbo kit. Then you'll be legal and warranty shouldn't be voided.
I have a jet ECU and it gave my Lancer a kick in the ***. added like 22 hp with my intake/exhaust mods. I would safely say I am 155-160 at the flywheel. Jet's timing and a/f ratio is very aggressive !!
Old Jul 5, 2003, 08:59 PM

okay plz explain ECU???? is that the intercooling system. sorry new to modification.. waht you guy mean when you guy are saying 120 HP/ TQ wheel and about 138 on flywheel?? what you guy mean by flywheel???

Quick Reply: Mods For An OZ Rally 2003