Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Stock clutch lockout, please help!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2007, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock clutch lockout, please help!

Well ive been driving my evo for a few thousand miles and ive come to realize that when downshifting, i find it very hard to get into 1st and sometimes 2nd a lot. Even going at slow speeds that should be fine, it doesnt want to let me in gear, even though my foot is all the way down on the clutch, and if i push it a little bit and give it some force i can hear it grind . Well, this is my first manual car and I'd like to know if this is normal and something i need to live with, or if there is something wrong with my car/driving or if there is any way to bypass this problem. BTW, car is 100% stock. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bring it back for warrantee work thats wat i would do maybe there something wronge with ur shifter linkage or somethign along those lines
Old Jul 31, 2007, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

I'm definitely not an expert but your clutch pedal may be out of adjustment. There's a hot-to in the how-to section. I did it today, took me like ten minutes. alleviated my third gear grind.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

heh

take it easy and try not to downshift, into 1st, unless you really need to (like at the track) otherwise use your brakes.

seriously... if you are downshifting to 1st, on the street, you are causing your evo wear it doesn't need

also, up-shift at high rpm in the evo it likes it

Last edited by evrblazin; Jul 31, 2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

Ok thanks for the replies. I dont downshift that low to slow down, my problem occurs when I'm going very slowly, whether it be pulling up to my driveway or to a very slow rolling turn, I'll go to throw it into first, maybe even second sometimes, keeping the pedal to the floor and not letting it engage at all through the process, just preparing to exit the turn or pull in or whatever, and it just refuses to go in a lot. Again I don't have a lot of experience with a manual tranny at all.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also as your car breaks in it'l start to work better. My tranny was notchy for the first thousand or 2 now its like butta
Old Aug 2, 2007, 05:16 AM
Evolving Member

As a quick update, I was driving to the gym last night, and i was in first gear waiting to turn into the plaza, made the turn and put in into neutral to just coast down a little further to the parking lot. I was going 10mph, maybe 15 MAX, and I tried to put it into 2nd from neutral, and it tried to lock me out again, wtf, 10 mph?! Like an idiot i gave it just a little pressure and heard it reluctantly grind as it went into 2nd. something has to be wrong . Upshifting is smooth as ever, i have no grinds at all, and downshifting to 3rd or 4th poses no problems, but first and second are being very difficult. any input is appreciated.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 06:55 PM

Ever find out what was wrong. Having same problem here. Know it has been a long time. Was thinking of replacing transmission speed sensor.