Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Meth Inection = How Much Boost = Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol, by the way i am running 100% meth on my evo 8 , its paid off and i expect to blow the engine, fast as **** though.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:30 AM

Ask all the notable tuners/users such as UCC and Abner or even Richard from Aquamist, not some guy basing his theories off of word of mouth with no actual proof except "read all the posts about people blowing their engine" or "My friend blew his off of meth"
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by God Given
Ask all the notable tuners/users such as UCC and Abner or even Richard from Aquamist, not some guy basing his theories off of word of mouth with no actual proof except "read all the posts about people blowing their engine" or "My friend blew his off of meth"
Right, I agree with you. And if he does ask some reputable tuners, they will tell him that running does carry some risks! Most tuners think the benefits outweigh the risks, but they're interested in creating the fastest track car. Not all evo owners are.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

And lets put it this way... Since people began running meth more and more, there are a ton more threads on "I just blew my motor" than there used to be. Correlation???
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:38 AM

Do you have a tune to support the meth? I run 30 psi on meth, and 20 when cruising. No head studs as I am only driving the car for a few months. If you are gonna drive the car hard, anything you can do as far as falesafes, do it.

I highly recommend getting a wideband, and a boost controller that defaults down when you spike ain't a bad thought either, but I prefer manual boost controllers.

My IX's engine is stock, w/ intake and TBE.

btw, what clutch are you running as well?
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Noting wrong with meth and a good failsafe. This topic has been beaten to death...

If your kit fails under boost and you're tuned on the aggressive side...yes, she's a goner.

Meth with pretty much any setup is sick...i tuned my car for Meth @ 25psi and then I have my NON-Meth flash @ 22psi ...Meth Tune is by far waay more powerful...once I get CAMS and headstuds I'll be running 30psi(spikes)...

I am @ 21psi @ Redline with Meth, and 20psi without METH.

Don't invest in meth if you don't own a Wideband w/ failsafe.

oh and "kinloch99 = pyscho"
Old Aug 19, 2007, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Srt-4 Turbo 7
I have been researching meth injection on these forums for about a week now.

---I have gathered that It is strongly recommended to have ARP head studs when running over 24/23psi

---That with meth injection I can spike 29/28psi and then hold whatever the stock wastegate can hold

Questions:

1. When running meth do you guys run 51% water and 49% meth or what is your mixture. I know of a lot of people running straight meth.

2. How reliable is it to spike 29/28psi on a daily basis. I want my motor to last and if that means only spiking 26/25ps instead of 29/28psi then I will do it. 29psi just seems like a s**t load of boost to run on the motor.

Thanks for the help.
before even thinking of the questions above

how about research on what injection systems are out there, pay attention to subtle details like pumps used, method of dosing, overall fit and finish of the system, failsafe fast enough to react incase of an injection failure (low flow, too much flow, no flow, low level in tank) and technical support if an issue arises.

You want a to get a well put together and then rely on the failsafe as a "safety net", not the other way, rely on a failsafe on a poorly put together system.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

My tuner is Sean Ivey and I think he is amazing. He does agree that there are risks with meth, but he also said how much power do you want to make, my decision.

As far as meth I am still iffy...

I am having my exhaust manfiold and and turbine housing ported this week.

I will probably do ETS or AMS FMIC and HKS 272 or Cosworth cams for some more power.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

if you happen to meet these guys in jersey, dudical26, xiaoni420, binh...talk to them, i'm sure they will be glad to talk/show you more about their injection systems.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Do not think just because of running meth you are 100% likely to blow your engine. Bad tuning will cause that yes, but if you have it tuned to optimal power safely, you should have nothing to worry about.

You are in the upper states so snow kits would be an option for you, for us here in south florida, we run 100% meth and max out our turbos!!

Daily driven 34 psi
Old Aug 19, 2007, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

First thing to know about meth is there are different injector nozzle sizes and also pump pressures. Make sure you have the car tuned for WHATEVER the meth system you have and follow their recommendations as far as max boost goes.

Just remember, the more you push meth the more catastrophic a failure will be.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=290346
Old Aug 20, 2007, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

are we blaming meth, the kit or the tune?
Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

doesnt matter what u blame, they are all variables, its like when a plane crashes, doesnt matter what caused it, everyone is dead. sometimes its the tune, sometimes its the kit, sometimes its installation.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kinloch99
doesnt matter what u blame, they are all variables, its like when a plane crashes, doesnt matter what caused it, everyone is dead. sometimes its the tune, sometimes its the kit, sometimes its installation.
ok whatever...

anywayz, the guy inspected his meth setup and his kit seems to be intact....