Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Meth Inection = How Much Boost = Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2007, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meth Inection = How Much Boost = Reliability?

I have been researching meth injection on these forums for about a week now.

---I have gathered that It is strongly recommended to have ARP head studs when running over 24/23psi

---That with meth injection I can spike 29/28psi and then hold whatever the stock wastegate can hold

Questions:

1. When running meth do you guys run 51% water and 49% meth or what is your mixture. I know of a lot of people running straight meth.

2. How reliable is it to spike 29/28psi on a daily basis. I want my motor to last and if that means only spiking 26/25ps instead of 29/28psi then I will do it. 29psi just seems like a s**t load of boost to run on the motor.

Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Also interested in this.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

You can run 100% meth and max out your turbo at 34 PSI like some owners do. Or you can run whatever you wish safely.

Make sure you get a good failsafe and a good wideband (zeitronix)
Head studs are recommended but alot of people run stock.

And yes 34 psi is safe to run

Get the forge wastegate and you should be able to hold 22-24 psi at redline.
If you are looking for quality kits i suggest taking a look at the TTP-Engineering kit with their failsafes
Old Aug 19, 2007, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

if u want your motor to last dont put in meth. i may get flamed for this, but if i had a new ix, i would never do it. even with all the failsafes. get a 50 trim on pump. as far as the mixture, 100% meth seems like the most common. now if daddy bought u this car and u dont give a rats ***, by all means meth it up, it really feels strong, loads of torque, cant beat it. but the list of blown engines is a mile long. lata
Old Aug 19, 2007, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Daddy did not buy me this car or any of my other cars.

As far as kits I was looking at the Snow performance stage 2 kit with low level indicator and fail safe.

Just don't want to stress the motor to much.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kinloch99
if u want your motor to last dont put in meth. i may get flamed for this, but if i had a new ix, i would never do it. even with all the failsafes. get a 50 trim on pump. as far as the mixture, 100% meth seems like the most common. now if daddy bought u this car and u dont give a rats ***, by all means meth it up, it really feels strong, loads of torque, cant beat it. but the list of blown engines is a mile long. lata
blown due to what? beacuse due to meth youre saying is a farse...it would be due to tuning, lifting a head (due to boost), or changing settings to motor or fuel map...if i took a Kia and only dumped meth into the intake the only thing it would do is have a cooler intake charge. meth helps prevent det. when used right. and if you have a ballsy tune meth can save your motor by raising your effective octane rating. (i dont mean just throw meth on your car...these are all quick answers)
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

i didnt say daddy did, i said if he did. you have been warned, when u blow the engine look in the mirror and say "i am a dumbass" nothing more can be said, if u had a used evo 8 maybe, but a new 9 , no chance, the safer option is to get 2 tunes, 1 for pump one for race gas, then u can have the same effects in alot safer environment.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

blackevo yes due to meth, when u get your car tuned for meth, they advance the timing and increase the air ratio if the meth doesnt flow it blows
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

if u just added meth with no tune or boost increase it would be fine, but the benefits of the meth arent going to happen
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

That is my problem. I do not want to risk blowing my motor. Meth is like having sex with a fat chick. You want to do it but are afraid of the consequences LOL.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Why would you want to have sex with a fat chick?? lol

Anyways, I've been running methanol for the last 10k miles or so on a daily basis. I run 100% methanol and 26 psi of boost on my 35R. So far not a single problem and it really helped my car out. I picked up 100 whp w/ the meth kit, 4-5 more psi of boost, and a retune
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

get meth with a failsafe and have it tuned by a reputable tuner and you will have no problems at all. there are 1000's of people just on this forum running meth on daily drivers with no problems at all.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

i hear you dude, i'm saying this to spare u, i have a friend that blew 2 evo motors. the second time he thought he was safe but the alcohol seemed to mainly go to the first cylinder ( i guess because it was easiest) and blew that one too. u are putting down some awsome #'s, go cams and 50 trim, pick up 60 more whp.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kinloch99
if u just added meth with no tune or boost increase it would be fine, but the benefits of the meth arent going to happen
I hate to say it, but I kind of agree with this guy. If your evo is a daily driver, street evo, then don't do meth. You're much safer running two maps and race gas. If your evo is just a track and recreational evo, then by all means, go ahead. As with any power adder, there are certain drawbacks. I think the risks outweigh the benefits. Unless every single HP matters to you if you're racing or whatever. I still think that a larger turbo would be the better choice though.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

thats why i said i will get flamed, thousands of guys run it, thousands of guys blew motors so their will always be that battle. if u have a couple grand laying around as engine build back up go for it.

Quick Reply: Meth Inection = How Much Boost = Reliability?