Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

1st gear

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2007, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1st gear

i bought evo IX just couple days ago and i found out that im not consistant with the starts from the 1st gear.sometime its great start and sometime i suck.
i have to find the right clutch position where to hold it for sometime and to find the ideal revs.
do you guys have any tips,,???
i dont want to burn the clutch,is there a way to do it without burning and starting like a rocket?
Old Aug 29, 2007, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No way to start like a rocket without burning the clutch, but if you want to have a quick start (not like a rocket) try starting from around 2800-3200. This works good for me.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

heres a tip, save for a new clutch.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dexmix
heres a tip, save for a new clutch.
thats not bad idea,but everyone has here not stock clutch?i gues i can start quick without burning it too mmuch,
Old Aug 29, 2007, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

there really isnt a good way to rocket off the line without burning up the clutch pretty fast. like mentioned above, get a stronger clutch that can be beaten on
Old Aug 29, 2007, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

A SS clutch line, bushings and/or removal of the restrictor pill would help if you're looking for a more consistent clutch feel.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

mine does the same thing. I just have to rev a to 2000.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

i'm still on the stock clutch and it always feels fine.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

im on the stock clutch too,but i dont have problems with shifting,or to start moving the car,im just looking for and trying to have fast start,where i can beat everyone on the traffic lights,sure when there is tought opponent.
im driving stick 5 years and i didnt have any problems with that,but i was driving 200hp diesel and thats pretty big difference between the diesel clutch and petrol clutch.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

It's all about feeling it engage... that's about all I can say.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

Well I've only had my car for 2 weeks and it's still on the stock clutch after 51k. I can feel it just starting to slip only under heavy acceleration at the top of first and shifting hard into second, but any other time than that no problems at all. If I can give any tips, just slowly let the clutch out at idle, and when you feel it start to grab add a little more throttle so your lower than 2k rpm and slowly release the clutch the rest of the way. This should give you a nice and smooth engagement, with out tearing up the stock clutch. But if your talking about launching the car dis-regaurd this comment.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by awdwannabe
Well I've only had my car for 2 weeks and it's still on the stock clutch after 51k. I can feel it just starting to slip only under heavy acceleration at the top of first and shifting hard into second, but any other time than that no problems at all. If I can give any tips, just slowly let the clutch out at idle, and when you feel it start to grab add a little more throttle so your lower than 2k rpm and slowly release the clutch the rest of the way. This should give you a nice and smooth engagement, with out tearing up the stock clutch. But if your talking about launching the car dis-regaurd this comment.
thanks,i have no problem with stick im driving it for 6 years and almost every day so i know pretty good how to engage it and other things downshifting and more...
but i was asking about the launch,and this made me little problems on the evo .
its so much different from other cars and thats the problem ,but agains this prolblem is just one think.you have to practise launch starts,i know it kills the clutch but if you doing it one per week even one in day it cant hurt so much to the clutch.
and i dont know about the american version of evo 9 but mine car whitch is european has a quick launch program like the cars in WRC if ou know them.

1,you have to put the firt gear ,at that time the clutch full extendet and revs till 5000 and hold it there,you will hear the sound like excactly on WRC like wrnn wrnn wrnn wrnn wrnn and like you are holding the 5000 revs then you just release the clutch and you can beat every PORSCHE ON THE FIRST 4 SECOND.
TRY IT OUT
Old Aug 31, 2007, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Heres my tip n trick for most people on stock clutch.. REV it up to 2k rpm.. HOLD it at 2K WHILE slipping clutch.. As you let out the clutch your rpms are going to drop down a slight amount the more you let out the clutch.. AS your rpms are going down give it a slight bit more gas and try n KEEP it at 2k rpm while letting clutch out.. so as clutch is coming out your gas is slightly going in.. if your able to keep it at 2k the whole way until the clutch is engaged fully, youll have a very clean start

I just reread your thread n realized this tip is completely useless for what your asking.. your looking for a way to kind of "launch" your car with out burning clutch.. which is simply impossible lol.. STart saving for a new clutch.. rev it to 5k where your rev limiter is at.. and slip it quickly until engage
Old Aug 31, 2007, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pure Playaer
Heres my tip n trick for most people on stock clutch.. REV it up to 2k rpm.. HOLD it at 2K WHILE slipping clutch.. As you let out the clutch your rpms are going to drop down a slight amount the more you let out the clutch.. AS your rpms are going down give it a slight bit more gas and try n KEEP it at 2k rpm while letting clutch out.. so as clutch is coming out your gas is slightly going in.. if your able to keep it at 2k the whole way until the clutch is engaged fully, youll have a very clean start

I just reread your thread n realized this tip is completely useless for what your asking.. your looking for a way to kind of "launch" your car with out burning clutch.. which is simply impossible lol.. STart saving for a new clutch.. rev it to 5k where your rev limiter is at.. and slip it quickly until engage
i know its impossible to dont burn the clutch with launching start,but i just didnt have the feeling the clutch im driving know every day ,once or twice a day i try to launch little bit and its better and better ,and i dont even smell the clutch burning and look good.
but thanks for ALL THE TIPS i appreciate it
Old Aug 31, 2007, 02:36 PM
4DR
Evolved Member

I'll try to help. First, I wouldnt recommend letting your 2-step bang for two long, but when you decide to engage, think of a two step process. the first stage would be to slip enough to get slight forward motion. The next step would be to let the clutch out as if moving off from a stop light.....just faster.

Recommendation: Launches become easier once your 2-step is raised...IMO.

Be one with the car, feel it, and let her rip....lol.

Quick Reply: 1st gear