Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Would overboost cause bucking?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2007, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lagos
can someone explain to me how something as simple as a filter, would REQUIRE you to retune your entire car?

some can argue that you now have a bit less restriction, and a bit more air flow going into the motor, but the stock maf still sees that air. there is no need to tune your ecu after such a simple change! if the car is bucking or hesitating, then its because there is an air leak somewhere between the maf and the throttle body.
the knowitall cheerleader car driver... meh meh meh
Old Aug 30, 2007, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Check your plugs
Old Aug 31, 2007, 06:18 PM
Account Disabled

can someone explain to me how something as simple as a filter, would REQUIRE you to retune your entire car?

some can argue that you now have a bit less restriction, and a bit more air flow going into the motor, but the stock maf still sees that air. there is no need to tune your ecu after such a simple change! if the car is bucking or hesitating, then its because there is an air leak somewhere between the maf and the throttle body.
Evos are alil different then celicas..
Old Aug 31, 2007, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any mod that changes the Volumetric Efficiency of the engine can affect the tune. If your flowing more air then that changes VE.

Now, a friend installed an intake on his car against my advice and really it had no adverse affects at all. His fuel trims stayed rock solid (more solid than my own without an intake) and suprisingly it seemed to set all of his mods free because at that point his car gained about 20whp measured with DLL. The intake that he installed was a BR Intake and I'm not a BR fanboy.. however I was impressed with the performance of the part and it had no adverse affects on the car.

In this case I dont think a VE change is causing the bucking. First check for leaks, hoses off etc. Plug anything off that you didnt use with the new intake / filter. Now reset your ECU, the easiest way to do this is to remove the 20 amp fuse closest to the front of your Evo and put it back in (you wont have to reset your clock using this method). The other way is to remove your negative battery terminal and put it back on. You dont have to leave it off because the ECU resets immediatly. Then start the car and let it idle for a few minutes, when it first starts it will idle up and then settle back down.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Aug 31, 2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you actually owned an Evo you would know why.Stick to commenting on things you know something about.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Hey guys-

Reset the ECU after installing the filter by disconnecting the negative cable after install. Didn't disconnect anything as far as intake piping from intercooler to TB or the MAF pipe (from turbo to MAF) only loosened the clamp at the maf and remved MAF only. Clamp is tight on the MAF (i originally thought unmetered air was getting in) but nothing I found.

Going to pull the plugs and replace them anyways, however just bought evo scan and waiting for the cable to get to me to log and have mellon do the tune.

It could be a coincidence it happened at the time of install, however the more I drive it its feeling like my DSM when it pulls timing due to knock. Curious if the filter install REALLY leaned me out and ecu is pulling timing. While I havent had bucking lately in the last few days, its definentely slow. Ill log and find out soon.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

hopefully the mellon flash will solve your problems. to bad there isnt someone with a evo close by you so you could install their stock intake to verify that the open filter is the cause of the bucking. keep us updated
Old Sep 5, 2007, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Just wanted to update, finally got evo scan and got the turbotrix cable... I found whats going on, and the filter changes more than I intended. As soon as the turbo spools, crazy knock and timing is pulled as much as the ECU can. Chris is working on a new tune for me now to fix the issue.

Does a filter only kit need a tune? YES!

I can also tell my next mods are definentely DP and HFC, as well as a 255 pump.

Last edited by FullOutPwr; Sep 5, 2007 at 07:23 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 09:21 PM

the issue I that you need to hook up your BOV up and re-circuit it again do not vent to the air. I had this issue in 5th going 80 mph giving little amounts of gas and the car would buck same with 4th and 3rd it seems to happen at almost no boost and at around 3k-3.5k RPM
Old Sep 6, 2007, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FullOutPwr
Just wanted to update, finally got evo scan and got the turbotrix cable... I found whats going on, and the filter changes more than I intended. As soon as the turbo spools, crazy knock and timing is pulled as much as the ECU can. Chris is working on a new tune for me now to fix the issue.

Does a filter only kit need a tune? YES!

I can also tell my next mods are definentely DP and HFC, as well as a 255 pump.
good to hear once you get your tune be sure to update us with how the car feels