Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

IX SE trim?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2007, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IX SE trim?

Sorry to post this, I've done my searching on this but it's hard to get the keyword "SE" to search even though google.

From my understanding, SE includes aluminum roof, BBS wheels, HID headlights, red-stitched Recaro seats and possible more.

To clarify, what else makes it a "SE"? Is there a front lip, different shift knob similar to the MR, CF trim, etc...? Are the rear seats also red stitched?

Also, what kind of EVO determinds if it displays "evolution" or "lancers" in the dash guage?
Old Sep 21, 2007, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
front lip and the rears are also red stitched; standard shift knob and that kind of stuff.

Also, what kind of EVO determinds if it displays "evolution" or "lancers" in the dash guage?
???
Old Sep 21, 2007, 07:45 AM

look at mitsu heres what i found

ENGINE: factory performance-tuned (2.0-liter, MIVEC DOHC, 16-valve, turbocharged and intercooled) engine with 286 horsepower and 289 lb-ft of torque

TRANSMISSION: close-ratio five-speed manual transmission with leather-wrapped sport shift knob* and Teflon-coated cables

INTERIOR: aluminum sport pedals, front Recaro® bucket seats with premium Alcantara® fabric and unique red stitching, Alcantara®-wrapped Momo® three-spoke steering wheel, 140-watt Mitsubishi CD audio system with 6 speakers and more.

EXTERIOR: 17" x 8" Diamond black finish BBS® forged aluminum alloy wheels, speed-rated Yokohama P235/45 Advan® (high-grip, soft-compound) tires, color-keyed rear spoiler with carbon-fiber airfoil, HID headlights with in-cluster halogen fog lights, front air dam extension, and aluminum roof, hood and fenders

there is no evolution in the dash pod. U have to get a aftermarket kit
Old Sep 21, 2007, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I didn't want an MR so I picked up an SE. The only reason I went with the SE over the GSR was for the HIDs.

Everything else is very very minor. A bbs wheel is a bbs wheel and will probably be upgraded to something else anyway. The red stitching is trivial, the aluminum roof is next to nothing, and the front lip doesn't add all that much to the appearance.

Like the MR, the special edition package was a rip off if you purchased the car new.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you can get HID's in the non SE models ... just need the sun sound and leather package
Old Sep 21, 2007, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
I didn't want an MR so I picked up an SE. The only reason I went with the SE over the GSR was for the HIDs.

Everything else is very very minor. A bbs wheel is a bbs wheel and will probably be upgraded to something else anyway. The red stitching is trivial, the aluminum roof is next to nothing, and the front lip doesn't add all that much to the appearance.

Like the MR, the special edition package was a rip off if you purchased the car new.
I don't think it is waste at all! It is by far the best looking trim and the parts it comes with are still sought after, just wait a little longer.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 09:33 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Redline-Z
I don't think it is waste at all! It is by far the best looking trim and the parts it comes with are still sought after, just wait a little longer.
It's definitely not a waste! SE=Best Evo
Old Sep 21, 2007, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by neogenesis
Sorry to post this, I've done my searching on this but it's hard to get the keyword "SE" to search even though google.

From my understanding, SE includes aluminum roof, BBS wheels, HID headlights, red-stitched Recaro seats and possible more.

To clarify, what else makes it a "SE"? Is there a front lip, different shift knob similar to the MR, CF trim, etc...? Are the rear seats also red stitched?

Just to clarify what other people have said...

HID headlights: same units from the MR and SSL-equipped IX
Aluminum roof: same unit from the MR and RS
Diamond Black BBS wheels: same units from the MR, except in a color unique to the SE and the MR equipped with the Appearance Package (which people call the MR SE)
Red interior stitching: unique to the SE and the MR equipped with the Appearance Package
Front lip: deeper, more aftermarket-looking unit unique to the SE and the MR equipped with the Appearance Package
Colors: only available in apex silver, graphite gray and tarmac black

Most people tend to agree that the IX SE is the best model to buy, in terms of pricing and options. Personally, I felt that the MR was quite a big jump in price, plus I had read things about the transmission issues when driven in certain competitive situations, plus I wasn't too thrilled about the fuel efficiency being a tad less, despite having another gear ratio. I knew that the factory halogen projectors aren't all that great (having owned an Evo before), but I didn't want to get an SSL-equipped Evo since I wasn't a big fan of the optional leather, as I felt it wasn't the greatest leather out there, the seats wouldn't grip me as well, the leather inserts in the door looked cheap and the rear headrests seem to block your vision. Then the SE came out, and it seemed to fit the bill... lighter roof, lighter BBS wheels (in a newer, nicer color in my opinion, as I wanted a graphite gray Evo but felt that the original anthracite BBS color was a little redundant on an already gray car), HIDs and deeper front lip compared to the standard IX. I just wish a magazine had tested the SE, seeing how it's even lighter than a standard IX (which is already lighter than an MR). Though differences would be minimal, it would've been nice to see.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

yeah i figured theres only three lines of evo that has aluminum room... RS which is abit too raw for me and doesnt have the cool lip nor wheels nor HID. it would be alot of $ too get the lip + wheels + HIDS so RS not worth it. MR i dont like the 6 speed and bilsteins are too soft. SE!
Old Sep 21, 2007, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not ripping on the SE (I own one) but when you compare it to the GSR theres not that much difference.

The GSR has the same interior minus the red stitching but the GSR seats are still bad ****.

The aluminum roof is only a few LBs its not big deal. Bragging rights mostly.

The front bumper is the same except for the lower lip which I've seen sell on ebay for $200. Heck you can get a carbon fiber one for $300. The little scoops on the side aren't even functional.

The only significant mod the SE has over the GSR are the HIDs. These are great for daily driving but the motors and wiring adds up to more weight. The HIDs are fricken awesome though. Much better than ebay hacks on the GSR.

I love my SE but its only a fraction better than the GSR.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
se rims are bbs compared to the enkeis on the IX and if i am not wrong the bbs's are lighter
Old Sep 21, 2007, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
I'm not ripping on the SE (I own one) but when you compare it to the GSR theres not that much difference.

The GSR has the same interior minus the red stitching but the GSR seats are still bad ****.

The aluminum roof is only a few LBs its not big deal. Bragging rights mostly.

The front bumper is the same except for the lower lip which I've seen sell on ebay for $200. Heck you can get a carbon fiber one for $300. The little scoops on the side aren't even functional.

The only significant mod the SE has over the GSR are the HIDs. These are great for daily driving but the motors and wiring adds up to more weight. The HIDs are fricken awesome though. Much better than ebay hacks on the GSR.

I love my SE but its only a fraction better than the GSR.
True, driving a IX won't be much different from driving a IX SE in regular situations, like daily driving. But the closer you get to reaching the cars' limits, the differences will become more apparent. It won't be anything drastic, but the SE should be a tad quicker.
Originally Posted by Skylineracer
se rims are bbs compared to the enkeis on the IX and if i am not wrong the bbs's are lighter
Each BBS wheel is just around 2.5 pounds ligher than an Enkei wheel off of a IX.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Its just my opinion. At $1850 for the SE package, to me I don't I would pay the dealer price unless it was th eonly one left (right selection is sparse from what I see). I would rather pay extra money for the SSL or just get a straight GSR. I wouldn't pay the preminum for the MR though either. Its one of those preference things.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 11:19 AM
Account Disabled

I'm not a fan of the SSL package at all...WAY overpriced for worse seats IMO, and you don't even get the cool front lip from the SE or aluminum roof or the BBS wheels!

NO way!
Old Sep 23, 2007, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dgoodhue
Its just my opinion. At $1850 for the SE package, to me I don't I would pay the dealer price unless it was th eonly one left (right selection is sparse from what I see). I would rather pay extra money for the SSL or just get a straight GSR. I wouldn't pay the preminum for the MR though either. Its one of those preference things.
I disagree, I definitely feel that the SE package is more than worth the $1850 on top of the IX MSRP, but I don't think the SSL package is worth the $3120.

Quick Reply: IX SE trim?