Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Hood Vent Question.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2007, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hood Vent Question.

Ok, I read a post out here a while ago, why the hood vent is there. I see some people with it removed and some people with the ralliart one. But it mentioned that the hood vent followed better with the actual little factor piece in there. I can't seem to find the post about it, can anyone enlighten me?
Old Oct 23, 2007, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I would like to know as well. The factory one is pretty ugly but I left it in there because I'm sure its there for a reason.

I also heard that it helps circulate the air inside the engine bay.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why don't you guys just pm warrtalon, and ask him i am sure he would love to help you....
Old Oct 24, 2007, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by freddiet
Why don't you guys just pm warrtalon, and ask him i am sure he would love to help you....
Somehow, the word "deathwish" comes to mind. LOL
Old Oct 24, 2007, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Got it....

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ving+Hood+Vent

Originally Posted by nnorris7413
The way its shaped seems to me like its supposed to induce sort of a venturi affect while driving. Because the vents are angled the air passing over the car would not go down into the vents but instead over them causing a low pressure area above the vent, thus "sucking" the hot air in the engine bay out through the vent. Thats my theory and thats why i keep mine on.

ding ding ding!!! I had some engineering type guys tell me it basically helps pull air through the fmic and the radiator and out the top taking engine heat with it too. This effect can be helped by the little metal covers some people get to cover the gaps by the hood release. I have been told all of this can significan't reduce underhoood temp. Similairly alot of big hp supra guys are going to vented hoods for this reason.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Yep, ^ that's right. Was looking at a detailed review of the Porsche GT2 and it has a much smaller, but similar function vent just in front of the hood as do several of the current 911 models. Creates a low pressure area and helps suck air through the radiator and then over the car rather than trapping it in a higher pressure zone in the front of the car where it would reduce down force and air flow.

Factory evo hood vent works on the same principle.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The shape of the hood itself also creates this effect. I feel that the main purpose of the louvered shield is to keep rain water out while not reducing the venturi effect. I would personally love to have an insert that places the louvers at the same level as the hood rather than an inch or so below it. I think that setup would be much more effective.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

if you think its ugly buy some aluminium color engine paint from o reily , fyi it'll come out looking like a raliiart piece