Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

EVO RELIABILITY? buy modified or stock, cost of bolt on parts

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2007, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
personally,id never buy a modded Evo myself,way too many fear factors involved
plus its more fun to start stock,and build up your car, you will appreciate it more
Old Nov 2, 2007, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EriCS
Hey everyone, I am looking to purchase an evo viii or iv in about 8 months to a year. I am curious to know what to look for when buying used. I heard there are a lot of synchro problems with trannies, whats the best way to detect? What about the clutch and drivetrain? Any other problems to look for? I am going to use the car maybe as a daily driver, if not often. I am def going to do some mods, the extent I am not sure prob just bolt ons n maybe a cam. Should i just save the money and buy something tuned or is it going to be somebody elses headache? What mods void warranties? total cost for exhaust, turbo time, blow off valve, boost controller, intake, intercooler n bigger pipes. What mods are most effective as far as horsepower.
The easiest way to check for syncro problems are two ways: One, pull the drain plug and check for an abundance of metal shavings...when there are more than the magnetic plug can grab, or more flows out of the tranny when you pull the plug-not good. Usually when buying a car they wont allow you to do this.

Second-drive the car. Get on it hard and shift as fast as you know how-and if it grinds, there is a good chance something is wrong. And I dont mean a missed shift grinding. Grinding, then positive lock into gear....thats a problem.

I daily drove my 03 Evo for 75k PLUS and the only issue had was the 5th gear problem and minor maintenance.

Everything according to Mitsu that doesnt say Mitsu on it, will void the warranty. The Magnusson Moss Warranty Act of 1971 (i think) allows you to make modifications and only void the warranty to the pertinent system, i.e.-clutch, driveline....big turbo, engine etc etc. They cant void the corrossion warranty for a TBE.

The TBE will run you from 800-2500 depending on size, configuration and material. The Buschur Racing V-Band Exhaust with Bullet Muffler is one of the best performers and due to the V-Band, easiest to use and install, IMHO

www.Buschurracing.com
www.automotosports.com
www.fullrace.com
www.lancershop.com
www.bulletproofautomotive.com

The list goes ON, and ON....have fun and dont be afraid, jump on the bandwagon before they're all gone.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 07:20 PM

I picked up a used evo with your basic bolt ons: I/C piping, exhaust, o2 housing, clutch, and cams. Little did I know i was def. buying someone's old project. The turbo had shaft play some 8k miles later, so i decided why not go bigger and get a 35r and get all the supporting mods for it. Well when i got it tuned i was only making 340whp which is horrible. So i tore down the motor and found i had scars on the cylinder walls and knicks on the piston heads. So now the motor is at the machine shop getting a bore and new pistons.

long story short don't buy a modded evo
Old Nov 13, 2007, 09:26 AM

Do you think it's worth paying several thousand more to buy an evo from CarMax? I don't know of any other place one can get a reasonably respectable extended warranty; and given all the problems I read about it seems a good thing to have--at least to drive around with for a few months and make sure there's no problems, before modding.