Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

EVO RELIABILITY? buy modified or stock, cost of bolt on parts

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2007, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EVO RELIABILITY? buy modified or stock, cost of bolt on parts

Hey everyone, I am looking to purchase an evo viii or iv in about 8 months to a year. I am curious to know what to look for when buying used. I heard there are a lot of synchro problems with trannies, whats the best way to detect? What about the clutch and drivetrain? Any other problems to look for? I am going to use the car maybe as a daily driver, if not often. I am def going to do some mods, the extent I am not sure prob just bolt ons n maybe a cam. Should i just save the money and buy something tuned or is it going to be somebody elses headache? What mods void warranties? total cost for exhaust, turbo time, blow off valve, boost controller, intake, intercooler n bigger pipes. What mods are most effective as far as horsepower.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

You change your cabin air filter?

VOIDED WARRANTY.

Mistu hates evo owners, tbh.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make sure it shifts smooth and clutch doesn't slip....I would get a stock evo...modded ones are risky. You will need 2 cams, probably 3" turbo back exhaust, timer if you want, stock bov is perfect, boost controller/intake...intercooler is fine....get tuned after that you will be happy

Oh, and this WILL void the warranty. Can probably get away with a catback if you want to keep the warranty.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck finding a stock evo. Most that appear to be stock are have actually been returned to "stock". You should have a careful eye to determine if a car is actually stock or has been returned to stock. If you buy a modified car make sure everything works properly because you may just be buying a serious issue that can't be fixed easily and that's why it's being sold. Find someone in your area who owns one to help you shop for one.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 03:16 PM

When I looked for my Evo I didn't come across a true stock one, never modified. Check for breaks in the vacuum lines where a splice may have been done, check the hose clamps, and look underneath at the exhaust to be sure the condition matches the mileage and the condition of the rest of the car. Good luck, and happy searching!
Old Oct 25, 2007, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

good luck alot of evos have seen hell so be careful.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

I will start with saying alot of us on here, mod correctly and perform routine maintenance that is light years ahead of most people who own stock evo's. I.E. changing all our driveline fluids every 6K or earlier and taking pride in our cars. There are exceptions also.

The first 3 things I would at look at!

Paint - Will tell you alot about how the owner took care of the car. If the paint is flawless, you can assume the car was taken care of. Free of swirls, scratches and dents. If neglected you can assume the same about the car.

Engine Bay - Are the mods tasteful? Is it clean?

Record keeping - Did the owner document maintenance and mods? If not find another car
Old Oct 28, 2007, 03:16 PM

Good advice but to be safe, buy stock and be sure it is stock.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 02:18 AM

wow i will take all this into consideration as well for buying my evo soon
Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:51 AM

stock. you dont know who messed with it. people lie
Old Nov 1, 2007, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

make sure to check all the gears for anything out of the ordinary. listen for the death whine/ blown or going out transfer case. slipping clutch, aftermarket clamps, bolts replaced with non stockers ect.....
Old Nov 1, 2007, 05:52 PM

Im almost ready to buy an evo too I've never really seen a evo over 50k.
If you don't launch it and can actually shift gears what else do I need to watch for
to keep my car running?
Old Nov 2, 2007, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

I have 84,00 miles on my evo8. She still pulls hard and is great the only thing i had to replace so far is the starter and the clutch. I am about to have my transmission rebuilt too just because i am about to put on a 35R soon. If u take care of it and change all the fluids when u should if not sooner then it will last u just like any other car
Old Nov 2, 2007, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

And i drive my car hard. I drive it in the mountains and its my dd just take care of her and she will take care of u. But change the oil transmission and the trasfercase fluid. There is a lot of porblems with the transmissions and the clutch from what i hear and maybe even the transfer case too.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

I just sold my EVO in Septmeber. It has 75,000 miles on it. It has been modded since it had only 2000 miles on it. Breakdown looks like this:

2000 to 32k =350whp
32k to 63k = 378whp
64k to 75k = 450whp+

The only thing replaced was the stock clutch at 52,000 miles. Car was running stronger than ever. As long as the car is maintained, it will be fine.

Quick Reply: EVO RELIABILITY? buy modified or stock, cost of bolt on parts