Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Newbie here... with newbie questions :)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2007, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie here... with newbie questions :)

Hi all... I'm relatively new to posting on this board (I've been lurking here for a few months)...I recently purchased a 06 Evo IX MR so I imagine I'll be posting here a bit more.

I'm rapidly approaching 1000 miles on my new car. I was pretty cautious about following the "by the book" break-in procedure for the first 600 miles. Are there any things I should be cautious about after the break-in period?

What are some of the common things people do to their Evo's for performance? It seems like the MR is pretty good out of the box. I plan on upgrading to the WORKS air filter after it's time to replace my stock one (around 15k miles).

Does anybody use their Evo in the snow? I'm planning on bringing it to Tahoe this snowboarding season... Will the stock tires survive well in the snow? Should I purchase some additional rims/tires? If so, what kind?

I think that covers all of my random questions...
Old Oct 25, 2007, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

the answer for the tires is on the door of the car.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Blizzak tires are pretty good, the Yokohama's dont hold well in the snow

DONT mod your car unless you want to void your 50/100,000 mile warranty!!!!

DONT launch your car unless you want to replace the clutch sooner than later! (and the warranty wont cover that)

and DONT drive like an idiot please!!! Respect!
Old Oct 25, 2007, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

GOD NO,

DOn't drive your evo in the snow with stock tires, unless you like doing body repairs.......

Buy a set of Blizzaks and you will be have a 3300 lb snowboard, it's fun as hell...
Old Oct 25, 2007, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

You should really use Blizzak snow tires as the Advan tires can get loose pretty easily in the cold. A 3 inch Turboback, intake, manual boost controller, flash/tune will get you 330 whp. Thats the easiest path to take with the IXs. As far as break-in goes, there are different theories to what people believe. I say keep it quiet up till about 1500 miles.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NivenHuH
Hi all... I'm relatively new to posting on this board (I've been lurking here for a few months)...I recently purchased a 06 Evo IX MR so I imagine I'll be posting here a bit more.

I'm rapidly approaching 1000 miles on my new car. I was pretty cautious about following the "by the book" break-in procedure for the first 600 miles. Are there any things I should be cautious about after the break-in period?

What are some of the common things people do to their Evo's for performance? It seems like the MR is pretty good out of the box. I plan on upgrading to the WORKS air filter after it's time to replace my stock one (around 15k miles).

Does anybody use their Evo in the snow? I'm planning on bringing it to Tahoe this snowboarding season... Will the stock tires survive well in the snow? Should I purchase some additional rims/tires? If so, what kind?

I think that covers all of my random questions...
Welcome fellow MR owner (ha that was corny), WORKS is a good decision for the air filter for a drop in. Common mods are a TBE, UICP, LICP, MBC, and a tune, maybe cams and FMIC if you want some serious power. It all depends on how much power you are looking for. The tires arent really meant for the snow more or less they are for the tarmac performance. i would switch em up if i was you and save the nice BBS rims from getting thrashed from salt etc..... Or just drive something else different entirely but thats just my opinion. Look around in FS section you should be able to find something.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Welcome to the community! I see that you're in Arlington, there are many of us around these parts. There is a local Evo group that can assist with all sorts of problems, check out ntexasevos.org.

You will find the answers to all of your questions if you just use the search feature, these guys have already given you a good start.

If you have specific questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.

Jim

Last edited by TxEvo8; Oct 25, 2007 at 04:29 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06MRV8Killer
Welcome fellow MR owner (ha that was corny), WORKS is a good decision for the air filter for a drop in. Common mods are a TBE, UICP, LICP, MBC, and a tune, maybe cams and FMIC if you want some serious power. It all depends on how much power you are looking for. The tires arent really meant for the snow more or less they are for the tarmac performance. i would switch em up if i was you and save the nice BBS rims from getting thrashed from salt etc..... Or just drive something else different entirely but thats just my opinion. Look around in FS section you should be able to find something.
Haha, am I the only ****ing person in the forums that values my warranty????!!!!
Old Oct 25, 2007, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

if there is only thing you ever plan to buy for your evo, it should be snow tires.

DO NOT. i repeat DO NOT USE THE STOCK TIRES IN THE SNOW!!!!!

they are summer tires, and when you bought the car, there should have been a sticker on the door warning not to use them in temperatures below 40 degrees farenheit.

Originally Posted by JJsEvo8
Haha, am I the only ****ing person in the forums that values my warranty????!!!!

what's a warranty?
Old Oct 25, 2007, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JJsEvo8
Hahaha!!! Warranty LMAOROF If you think you can get a dealer to easily cover a warranty then tell me who you go to 1st off, and 2nd your not the only one that values your warranty, I do but I am not about keeping my car stock, I like the power and I am responsable with it and if something breaks I am fourtunate enough to have the $ to fix it.

Last if you looked at his OP then you would see that he is asking for advice on mods.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Your join date says May '02. I must be F'ing crazy
Old Oct 25, 2007, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by D-evo9911
Your join date says May '02. I must be F'ing crazy
Yeah wow, if you have been saving that long then damn thats dedication!
Old Oct 25, 2007, 04:40 PM

haha.. i joined when i first bought my oz edition lancer.. the evo has brought me back..
Old Oct 25, 2007, 04:57 PM

stock tires + snow = death. I wouldn't get snow tires, they run out too fast, just get all seasons and ur good to go.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 07:28 PM

winter tires are needed. i remounted my winter tires couple weeks ago already!!! i don't drive car much but just in case..... Chicago weather suks!!!!

Quick Reply: Newbie here... with newbie questions :)