Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

"Evo clutches aren't weak, people just can't drive." Teach me to drive.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2007, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok there are ppl with bad drivin habits. at rick case mitsu the first evo that was sold there came back for a clutch in 250 miles. NO LIE! I was friends with the service manager. mitsu thought the clutch couldnt go in 250 miles and warr. the clutch. 2000 more miles again it goes out. they saw it was the driver. he goes and gets an exedy carbon clutch. rips the t-case a new one. then sells it. i have an 03 and got just over 59k out of it while bein 335whp for the longest time and launching it. some ppl on here just cant drive or abuse the car to much.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 24k on my stock clutch and my car is mildly modified. When it goes I'll look for a flywheel solution and probably go with the best single disc organic (OEM Type) that I can find. A friend broke his TC ad Tranny with a twin disc and a clutch dump. That certainly wasnt cheap and the car has 7K miles on it.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

The clutch on any high horsepower car is going to be the first thing to give. Atleased i would hope so. Like many people have said eariler, get one that is fit too your driving style.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
this is a good article about flywheel and clutch. i think its worth it to read.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/c...ywheeltech.htm
Old Nov 16, 2007, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

I have 10k on my car...drive it hard and race it...still no issues...hopefully it stays that way....but i teach people how to drive for a living too...
Old Nov 16, 2007, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tookinkee
I have 10k on my car...drive it hard and race it...still no issues...hopefully it stays that way....but i teach people how to drive for a living too...
Crazy. Where? I know john P from the redding area from doing auto X at anderson. He work/owns (i think) a driver school too.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Not sure if you were directing the comment to me..

I certainly wouldn't expect my clutch to hold up very long at 500-600whp, but its held up at 400whp for quite a long time. With almost 50k miles I'd expect any abuse would probably do it in for good.

But I would say stock to 350whp or so, the clutch should last way longer than some of the reported 'weak clutch' threads claimed.
no not towards you,towards the thread starter i did not to mean to sound like a jerk but once i hit 380 to da wheel my clutch starting slipping on the way home from the dyno.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 03:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it depends on how you drive.... how many times you launch...

i was making aroudn 350whp withing 1000 miles and got at least 100 launchs and lots of racing ont he stock clutch when i died on me at 8k...

I have a friend making 370whp and never launchs and raaaarely races with 20k and it still holds just fine.

Cheers!
Old Nov 17, 2007, 03:39 PM

"Evo clutches aren't weak, people just can't drive."

thats the truth
Old Nov 17, 2007, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TBevonine
"Evo clutches aren't weak, people just can't drive."

thats the truth
I second that.

My roomate had the first Evo in Houston back in '03....silver car. He made a few bad mistakes launching when I was with him. I cant imagine what kind of accidental/embarrassing fry-daddy launches he was doing on the side using it as a commuter only. He called lemon law and the dealer let him have another car. By that time He knew what NOT to do w/ the car leaving a red light. The free black replacement car never had any issues.

Knowing this story and reading all the 'demonize-the-clutch' threads on EvoM, So/Norcal evo I got 'skeered' and did my clutch at 25k...It was only HALF WORN guys....I do like my ACT light Flywheel though! Ohh well, I coulda saved over a grand for another year. It woulda gone 50k. PM if anyone wants to buy my stock combo w/ half material left and no discoloration.

Last edited by threepointsix; Nov 17, 2007 at 04:02 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
wrong thread
Old Nov 18, 2007, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

trannies suck period
Old Nov 19, 2007, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Silver05Bullet
trannies suck period
Y'mean, the Evo transmission and transfer case? Or are you saying that transsexual hookers suck, because it's their job?

Either way, since the car I'm considering has already had the clutch replaced with an ACT 2800lb one, I'm thinking perhaps I should Shep-ize the TC and transmission before they blow. Or should I just wait, and send 'em out once they're broken? Is that much more expensive?
Old Nov 19, 2007, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

I had 30k on my last evo befor replacing the clutch and i now have 48000 onmy IX with 47000 of it ams stage 3 and the stock clutch is still holding stong.... I agree either you CAN or CAN'T drive.... most people like to blame their cars for their own mistakes
Old Nov 19, 2007, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by jamevo8
either you CAN or CAN'T drive...
Rhythm: you have it or you don't--that's a fallacy. I'm sure driving well can be taught, or thousands of drivers pay thousands of dollars to driving schools every year for nothing. I'm wanting to know if there's a cheaper, easier way to learn to drive well, before I destroy expensive car parts.

Quick Reply: "Evo clutches aren't weak, people just can't drive." Teach me to drive.