Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.
View Poll Results: Was YO Parts unjustly expelled from EvoM?
Yes, YO Parts deserves to be here just like any other company.
80.00%
No, YO Parts and their business model threatened the integrity of our community.
20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

YO Parts Fiasco

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2007, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that many people have a problem with this situation because they feel that this was done in a very shady manor behind the backs of the EvoM public to appease the vendors. On the surface it appears that the vendors saw low prices and wanted them removed, whereas you're telling us it's about the best out come for the community. The way it looks is that EvoM acted the same as most of government/big bussines that people hate, they seemed to forget about us poor folk and worry more about the vendor$.

I understand that this business model isn't well liked by people, and thats fine. I'm just saying that it seemed shady to me that they were granted vendor status until some other vendors didn't like their prices.

I am glad to see that EvoM has kept this thread open and is willing to discuss all this with the community. So thanks for that.

just my .02
Old Nov 28, 2007, 07:34 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dodgecoltracer
I think that many people have a problem with this situation because they feel that this was done in a very shady manor behind the backs of the EvoM public to appease the vendors. On the surface it appears that the vendors saw low prices and wanted them removed, whereas you're telling us it's about the best out come for the community. The way it looks is that EvoM acted the same as most of government/big bussines that people hate, they seemed to forget about us poor folk and worry more about the vendor$.

I understand that this business model isn't well liked by people, and thats fine. I'm just saying that it seemed shady to me that they were granted vendor status until some other vendors didn't like their prices.

I am glad to see that EvoM has kept this thread open and is willing to discuss all this with the community. So thanks for that.

just my .02

If evom was about the almighty buck, then they would accept 10 new vendors a day a a couple hundred a month in advertising. The site would suck, the service would suck and no one would even know where to start looking for parts.

Fact is, Evom bit the bullet and released yoparts from the site, losing a few hundred a month in revenue in order to best serve the site as a whole, including its members.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
If evom was about the almighty buck, then they would accept 10 new vendors a day a a couple hundred a month in advertising. The site would suck, the service would suck and no one would even know where to start looking for parts.

Fact is, Evom bit the bullet and released yoparts from the site, losing a few hundred a month in revenue in order to best serve the site as a whole, including its members.
Id have to disagree with this to an extent... the only people that are losing out by them leaving are the members. Its not as if customer service was a problem. The only people that were immediately affected by their presence are the vendors. Because wholesale pricing drives the business elsewhere or makes the profit margin so small that you cant stay in business by just selling parts alone. Im sure shops like yours would do just fine since you have so many other aspects of your business that make you one of the go to guys of the community, but those that rely on part sales alone would struggle until they figured out a way to survive.

Also, there are still many vendors that arent a part of this site that can benefit the community and the members here. The reason the application is so extensive and the reason checks into the business practice are made is to make sure we are protected and Charles and staff do a good job with that. If we were to take on 10 vendors a day, it wouldnt be a bad thing, as long as they pass the initial check and continue to provide the services that you and the current vendor community do. Competition is never a bad thing, not only does it keep the pricing stable, but it leaves the vendors up to the challenge of inventing new ways to keep customers coming back.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by CharlesJ
You obviously did not read my post well, or the post it was responding to, or possible all my last posts before that. I even stated directly in the post that I am not trying to compare RNR to yoparts. I was making a point about us stepping in. The person I was responding to basically said we should never step in and let the consumers decide and educated themselves. I made a counter point to that statement. When we have knowledge of something bad for the short OR long term, we believe it is our duty to act.

Further more, you represent exactly the type of person that makes this decision not possible to be made or understood by the public. You are concerned about yourself and you price of your next purchase only. Before you get upset about that, I am not saying that is a bad thing. It actually what I expect from the average consumer who does not have the behind the scenes knowledge or experience. In your position, I might feel the same way.

Now, on a separate note, if this thread gets out of hand, starts going in circles, or we start getting posters on here that are clearly posting without reading the the entire thread and explanations, I am just going to close it.
No Charles, your analogy was very clear and very poor, despite your disclaimer. It's called an analogy - look it up. Furthermore, you don't know what "type of person" I am, but I'm sure it makes you feel better because you're so brilliant and understand the industry better than all us febble-minded simplistic commoners. I can't believe you actually posted this crap, just a wee bit full of ourselves aren't we.

And by the way, stop with all this silly high-browed "we're only looking out for the industry" nonsense. You're looking out for EVOm and its vendors and no one else. BTW, I have no problem with this, but at least have the honesty and integrity to say so. It's fairly obvious that this is the case since another EVOm member is a wholesaler, but without any membership requirement, and undercuts local retailers by 10%-40%. Yet, they remain on EVOm destroying the industry.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mellon
this thread existing is nice for people to vent and get to see both sides of the story...It's also is the best advertising yo parts could ask for.
exactly...the fact that they arent on evom anymore doesnt mean you cant just go to their site and order from them does it?
Old Nov 28, 2007, 08:14 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
I just removed a couple of posts that were either off topic or specific questions concerning Yo-Parts. Again, please keep this discussion ONLY on their removal. Thanks.

Speedlimit...
Old Nov 28, 2007, 08:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The way I see it is, if comapanys like Yo Parts exist for long enough they will not have anyone to buy parts from. It will crumble the industry. Yes you pay a little more from normal vendors but you get so much more in return. If the guys like Ams, ETS and Buschur (just to name some) were not around who would come up with the great ideas to make these cars so much fun??? ?. So yes if you look at the short term then Yo parts is the way to go. Now if you want to have people aound in a year still creating great parts and customer service then you know what yo do with your money.

-Em
Old Nov 28, 2007, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
robertrinaustin: You again missed the point completely on my post. I was making no comparison of yoparts to RNR, nor comparing why each were removed. I was only responding to the issue of stepping in, that is all.

As for the other comment, I understand why you are upset and thinking that I may have been insulting you, but I was not. I was not making any statement on yours or my intelligence as I have now way at all to judge this, nor do I care to. I was simple saying that you have made it clear from your few posts that your primary concern is buying parts for the least amount of money which is a completely understandable and justifiable viewpoint. I simply feel it may lack insight(not intelligence) required to make this decision. Insight I do not expect the majority of consumers to have which included me several years back before I got into this industry. Either way, you have made your point and we simply disagree.

As for other post, we are starting to move in circles. Lets keep it going forward or just move on with things.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

As a whole I think the entire community loves it when new parts are developed. And yes R&D is worth alot and if these companies didn't make money we would never have new and innovative parts to play with.

On the other hand, I think the community is tired of paying a 50% markup from a vendor that didn't do anything but get the item shipped to America.

The whole aftermarket parts scene brings two terms from my econ book.

Oligopoly AND Price Fixation
Old Nov 28, 2007, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
robertrinaustin: You again missed the point completely on my post. I was making no comparison of yoparts to RNR, nor comparing why each were removed. I was only responding to the issue of stepping in, that is all.

As for the other comment, I understand why you are upset and thinking that I may have been insulting you, but I was not. I was not making any statement on yours or my intelligence as I have now way at all to judge this, nor do I care to. I was simple saying that you have made it clear from your few posts that your primary concern is buying parts for the least amount of money which is a completely understandable and justifiable viewpoint. I simply feel it may lack insight(not intelligence) required to make this decision. Insight I do not expect the majority of consumers to have which included me several years back before I got into this industry. Either way, you have made your point and we simply disagree.

As for other post, we are starting to move in circles. Lets keep it going forward or just move on with things.
Charles, I really wasn't upset, more amused. I was actually laughing when I read your post. I'm a 40 year old very senior level executive for a large international corporation responsible for the Western Hemisphere and you think you have a better business understanding than I do.

I have posted no viewpoint with the exception that you and the staff are only looking out for EVOm and their vendors which I have no problem with. But, to claim otherwise is disingenuous at best. If that wasn't the case, other wholesalers would also be gone. Secondly, if you're truly concerned about "the industry", do all you can to encourage competition and not stifle it. Competition drives efficiency and advancement. Some companies will fail while others succeed, but those that survive will be most efficient.

Just as Costco, Home Depot, Sams... have not destroyed their industries, YO will not either. Some people like Home Depot while others prefer the local hardware store. There's nothing morally better with one or the other, it's about personal preference.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST
As a whole I think the entire community loves it when new parts are developed. And yes R&D is worth alot and if these companies didn't make money we would never have new and innovative parts to play with.

On the other hand, I think the community is tired of paying a 50% markup from a vendor that didn't do anything but get the item shipped to America.

The whole aftermarket parts scene brings two terms from my econ book.

Oligopoly AND Price Fixation
Please go back and read some of the previous posts. I think you would be surprised at how little markup actually exists. I may a post on this exact point. 50 percent would be a gigantic margin. Most are in the 10-20 percent. The only part I know of with a standard 40-50 or so off retail to vendors is many springs. Don't know why springs often have such a big discrepancy, but they often do. The flip side of this is that they also have the highest discount rate because of it. So while you as a consumer may get 20 percent off a set of coilovers, they may also get 35 percent off sings from the same brand. The actually percentage difference between most of yo parts products and the typical vendor is not that big a number. It just happens to be that last bit that makes the difference between being able to stay in business or not. Last thing, we are not price fixing or making specific pricing rules. Just disallowing that one business model. We made the point clear that we are not going to implement or allow pricing witch hunts for individual items, so everything stays as it was before they were on.

I will say it one more time for the cheap seats in back, please review all posts before making a new one as most things regarding this matter have already been covered.

Last edited by CharlesJ; Nov 28, 2007 at 09:18 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
Charles, I really wasn't upset, more amused. I was actually laughing when I read your post. I'm a 40 year old very senior level executive for a large international corporation responsible for the Western Hemisphere and you think you have a better business understanding than I do.

I have posted no viewpoint with the exception that you and the staff are only looking out for EVOm and their vendors which I have no problem with. But, to claim otherwise is disingenuous at best. If that wasn't the case, other wholesalers would also be gone. Secondly, if you're truly concerned about "the industry", do all you can to encourage competition and not stifle it. Competition drives efficiency and advancement. Some companies will fail while others succeed, but those that survive will be most efficient.

Just as Costco, Home Depot, Sams... have not destroyed their industries, YO will not either. Some people like Home Depot while others prefer the local hardware store. There's nothing morally better with one or the other, it's about personal preference.
First, I apologize. For some reason, I read another members posts and yours and thought they were the same member. So the comments i made regarding you view point on only being concerned on cheap parts was unfounded and based upon a different member's posts. I stand behind what I said about the analogy comment.

As for you second argument, its a valid one. It is really THE counter argument to this issue. I just do not feel it applies to this specific situation and do not feel that what is the most efficient is necessarily the best for the members, community, or industry. I have also made my point on how costco is different. I am 100 percent sure that nothing I or anyone else says is going to make everyone agree with this or pretty much any decision. It is clear that some agree with it, some dont, and some are on the fence. All We ask is for our members to understand that it was not and easy decision, but one we made over time for the long term health of our community. Right or wrong, we do the best we can.

Also, once again to everyone here. This basically has no affect on you. They still exist exactly as they did here. If you read this and decide to do businesses there, no one is stopping you.

Last edited by CharlesJ; Nov 28, 2007 at 09:33 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4cdndctn
...This is about laws of commerce, and the way gov't is allegedly there to maintain a level playing field and look out for Joe Public, EvoM Admins are here to do the same...
Communities like ours have demand for R&D. AMS, Buschur, CBRD - these are the guys that develop good product, then we have a choice to buy direct or wait for the infamous race to the bottom where a piece is copied and eventually distributed for less.
I'm not opposed to Yo and the wholesale distributor model that has already created havoc in the tire market, I am a fan of competition.
But if AMS and others were to shut their doors, 2nd tier companies would have limited products to copy and we would have limited aftermarket parts to buy, knock offs and originals alike.
IMO posts like this are when things get muddied from the only issue at hand here, which is Yoparts selling at wholesale prices.

1.) We are in a free market economy. Nobody is supposed to maintain a level playing field. The only meager insurance we have are the anti-trust laws, which are rarely applied anymore.

2.) This isn't about anyone copying parts. It's only about a vendor selling at wholesale. Yes it sucks for existing vendors that are used to making "x" amount. But just like in the tire industry, I do not appreciate having to pay more than a small markup when I buy well known products that are widely available. However, if I'm buying something like an AMS turbo kit, or a CBRD radiator, then I don't have a problem paying whatever price they're charging, since these are quality, niche products that were created using US R&D and US labor.

l8r)
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

I think you would be surprised at how little markup actually exists. I may a post on this exact point. 50 percent would be a gigantic margin. Most are in the 10-20 percent. The only part I know of with a standard 40-50 or so off retail to vendors is many springs.
Charles, this was my point as well. You contradict the sites decision with comments like this. You have made them in the past as well as other vendors. The price mark up for parts is not very much, you said it yourself. It does hold true. The same thing being true with them offering prices at a "wholesale" rate. Their prices were not that much cheaper then everyone elses. Only on the items with a major markup. Example, HKS anything their carbon TI sells for almost 900 in most places... how much do vendors pay for it ? id say close to 650. That is a pretty significant markup. If there is anyone saying that my numbers are way off, adjust them for me. I know how much one was bought from Yoparts... id love to see a vendor come in here and tell me how much i may be off.

My point is simple though... they were not offering prices so cheap that it was killing everyone else's business. Chris at no limit is still the cheapest for exedy, TTP has given me price quotes on items 20 to 50 bucks cheaper than yoparts. Its those guys that are fabbing their own stuff that drive those prices, so their business shouldnt be affected. You dont buy an AMS exhaust because its cheap, you buy it because it performs and is affordable. Same with their turbo kits, they work... not the cheapest around, but they look better than most, and they work.

I think robertrinaustin thru out there what a lot of people hadnt thought about or were afraid of reprocussions if they did throw it out there.... EvoM is a business, and losing 1 vendor that is doing a remarkable job is better than finding 5 to 10 or more that will go somewhere else if they werent made happy and take a cut in monthly income that are doing the same job (R & D guys aside)

Honestly, it seems as though the price reason is not a valid one for the simple fact that the industry mark up for one is not that high supposedly, and their prices are very close to other vendors who are offering the same products. They definitely were not booted for their customer service reputation. A lot of this just leaves a sour taste.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:50 AM
Account Disabled

Your pricing is way off. In fact I could care less if I ever received another GReddy Ti request. There is no profit in it and its rarely available.

Yoparts was not doing a remarkable job. I think they had between 2-6 feedbacks.

Some of this information is redundant as evom made the decision, it was the right one and yoparts showed their character on their way out, violating many rules and even breaking LAWS.

Quick Reply: YO Parts Fiasco