Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Stock WASTEGATE Mod.. Cheap Spring Mod... Pics??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2007, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock WASTEGATE Mod.. Cheap Spring Mod... Pics??

What are the steps to do the stock spring mod on the stock internal wastegate...

i know how to do it step by step but i dont know which is the spring that comes in the HELP Package #59001 .. cause there is like 5 springs in there. n i dont knwo which one to pick as there is a lot of difference from them..

anyone know which one is the correct one and can post a picture?

the above sticky on the How To Do's on the forum the pictures wont come up as i guess there too old or have been removed. !
Old Dec 19, 2007, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

It's the thickest spring. I tried this mod and couldn't get it to work properly.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish with this dubious mod? You should have sent me a pm as I'm selling my used Forge Motorsport DV for an VIII turbo for 50 clams, plus shipping.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by PedroMartinez
What are the steps to do the stock spring mod on the stock internal wastegate...

i know how to do it step by step but i dont know which is the spring that comes in the HELP Package #59001 .. cause there is like 5 springs in there. n i dont knwo which one to pick as there is a lot of difference from them..

anyone know which one is the correct one and can post a picture?

the above sticky on the How To Do's on the forum the pictures wont come up as i guess there too old or have been removed. !
why exactly did you buy this expensive of a car if you were going to put no money into its upkeep? if you want to ghetto rig something, you should have bought an srt4. or an 88 crx with an ebay turbo kit.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 95PGTTech
why exactly did you buy this expensive of a car if you were going to put no money into its upkeep? if you want to ghetto rig something, you should have bought an srt4. or an 88 crx with an ebay turbo kit.
HEY this is for a friends car as he wanted to try this mod and was wondering.... I have the HKS 6 Electronic BC does that sound good for you.... Mister..
Old Dec 22, 2007, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Nothing wrong with a ghetto rig on a Evo.. not recommended but what works.. works, and if the rig last as well, then even better.. what ever floats your boat..!

Not everyone believes in nice shiny new things in order for **** to work.. or have that possibility.

let me know the link or the outcome to this mod as well.. *subscribed* I like to mess with my so super expensive MR which is Banned from VOLTEX,ARC,TRUST and all that expensive stuff.. BTW my rims are stock BBS on a rattle can special.. *not time attacks.. yet i got alot of peeps sweating them..

Last edited by Redline06; Dec 22, 2007 at 03:09 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
It wouldn't be a 4g63 if people didn't go fast for cheap!
Old Dec 22, 2007, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by PedroMartinez
HEY this is for a friends car as he wanted to try this mod and was wondering.... I have the HKS 6 Electronic BC does that sound good for you.... Mister..
you're some ****ty friend if you would let him do that.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
you're some ****ty friend if you would let him do that.

Chill out man! many people have done that mod with great success.

you don't have to spend thousands of dollars on usless parts to go fast.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh MY... its just a car... whatever works , WORKS

Id take function or form ANYDAY
Old Dec 22, 2007, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

i modded my stock wastegate differently. i turned the turnbuckle all the way down until i ran outta thread then reinstalled it. i did this mod way back before the Forge unit came out & it has not failed. i have gotten 37PSI spikes out of the stock VIII turbo with no issues. even ran 30PSI for a month to see if the turbo could handle it (stock ignition couldn't handle it tho). still no turbo problems. different springs or wastegates altogether may be the new approach but my method hasn't failed, so i haven't changed it yet...
Old Dec 22, 2007, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

What irks me about a lot of people on this site is that their solution for everything is throw money at it. For whatever reason, lack of money or just plain ingenuity, someone should not be discouraged from trying something out unless highly dangerous or fatal to health.

A brand name costing tons of money isn't always the logical solution to a problem. Sure it's an expensive car however we can get away with some cheaps mods that may be worth their weight in gold, case in point, the eBay o2 housing.

I wouldn't suggest cheap tires or oil but I think you get what I'm trying to say!
Old Dec 23, 2007, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with this WG spring mod anyway? If all you want to do is increase the WG preload and improve turbo spoolup then the method, outlined by housedj above is the cleanest and cheapest way to go, IMO. It all really depends on what you are trying to achieve with the helper spring.

Last edited by sparky; Dec 23, 2007 at 04:50 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spudlus
........... lack of money or just plain ingenuity, someone should not be discouraged from trying something out unless highly dangerous or fatal to health.....A brand name costing tons of money isn't always the logical solution to a problem.....I wouldn't suggest cheap tires or oil but I think you get what I'm trying to say!
This is not about money or much less, about good old, American ingenuity and know-how. I wouldn't use this mod on a Turbo Porsche or a Turbo Neon either. This is a lame and tacky, useless, and potentially dangerous mod. There are much more positive and precise ways to adjust a turbo's boost level. Let's suppose that you want to raise or lower the boost level by just one PSI. How would you achieve that level of resolution with this hokie mod?

I'd like to see someone in the process of road tuning his/her car, pull over to the side of the road, pop the hood, and dick around with a set of needle nose pliers on a hot turbine housing and manifold attempting to remove one spring and then install another one.

Just to educate myself first, I read through the relevant thread on the How-To Forum and this has got to be the most Flinstonesque thing I've seen suggested on here to date. On my Turbo Diesel pickup truck I would just wire the turbo's wastegate shut with bailing wire and it boosted to 34 PSI. Two feet of bailing wire is cheap..

Last edited by sparky; Dec 24, 2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

Coming from a mustang owner

Its a simple mod and worth it so save it.

Quick Reply: Stock WASTEGATE Mod.. Cheap Spring Mod... Pics??