Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Why did you choose an EVO 8 or 9 over an STI

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2007, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STi's are nice cars, I would either get an 06 WHITE with gold rims STi or a White 06 9MR(not to mention those stockers on the white mr look bad ***)

These would be my choice:

or

Old Dec 23, 2007, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

OK, i will keep this short and sweet....I'm going to start be saying that the interior of the sti is nicer. But the seats SUCK and it rides like a lumber wagon and understeers like hell. Since that covered both the interior and suspension to cover the performance end, just go to an evo/sti shootout even the cars w/ the basic mods the evos walk all over them. As for the transmission stuff get a gsr or rs (5 speed models) its a much stronger tranny.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the help so far guys. Seems like EVO 9 GSR (NOT MR since the trans isnt as strong enough) is the way to go. Now:

1. What car is more reliable with minor mods?

2. Whats the most you can do to an EVO 9 before you have to touch the motor, turbo, trans, clutch....etc and whats a rough 1/4 estimate on a modded EVO with all stock parts. Clutch, trans, turbo, engine.....etc

3. Same question for STI
Old Dec 23, 2007, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JaguarS4R
but the STI trans is alot better then the STI
?
Old Dec 23, 2007, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sliqdaddy91
?
i meant to say that STI is better trans than EVO
Old Dec 23, 2007, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the help so far guys. Seems like EVO 9 GSR (NOT MR since the trans isnt as strong enough) is the way to go. Now:

1. What car is more reliable with minor mods?

2. Whats the most you can do to an EVO 9 before you have to touch the motor, turbo, trans, clutch....etc and whats a rough 1/4 estimate on a modded EVO with all stock parts. Clutch, trans, turbo, engine.....etc

3. Same question for STI
evo8 9 - turboback exhaust, ems, boost control, intake, intercooler, upgrade pipes. that's pretty much all u can do. with an evo9 with a tune, u should be able to hit low 12s to high 11's. with an evo8, low to mid 12's. power should range from 300-380 depending on boost. if buschur tuned it, you might even make a little over 400whp.

sti - i dont know. my bro hit mid 12's with just a turboback exhuast. no tune, no boost control, nothing zip nada nothing.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RedLanEVO
evo8 9 - turboback exhaust, ems, boost control, intake, intercooler, upgrade pipes. that's pretty much all u can do. with an evo9 with a tune, u should be able to hit low 12s to high 11's. with an evo8, low to mid 12's. power should range from 300-380 depending on boost. if buschur tuned it, you might even make a little over 400whp.

sti - i dont know. my bro hit mid 12's with just a turboback exhuast. no tune, no boost control, nothing zip nada nothing.
ok, so pretty much a complete exhaust w/downpipe, chip, boost controller, intake, intercooler and new plumbing will pretty much get me a EVO 9 in the high 11s at best with stock clutch, motor, turbo and everything, correct? All those mods come out to what? Around $2,000-$3,000 Will the car still be reliable with those mods?
Old Dec 23, 2007, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

ok, so pretty much a complete exhaust w/downpipe, chip, boost controller, intake, intercooler and new plumbing will pretty much get me a EVO 9 in the high 11s at best with stock clutch, motor, turbo and everything, correct? All those mods come out to what? Around $2,000-$3,000 Will the car still be reliable with those mods?
you really dont need a standalone ems, but at best, it will pull a few more horses, maybe 20-40 out of the car. an evo9 with these mods can get into the 11's but you gotta know how to drive. it is still reliable because you haven't touched the motor yet. but beware, you also have to be boosting much 26-28 psi to be reaching these limits on race gas etc...something will go if you race a lot. i mean a lot.

you can always spend money reflashing the stock ecu instead of getting and aftermarket ems. going the ems route for these amount of mods is not necessary. i am buuilding my motor and still am gonna stick with the stock ecu. once i go big turbo, i will probably get an aftermarket ems.

good boost control - 40-90 bucks

ems - I recommend aem. - 1800 with all sensors

turboback - anywhere from ebay 400 bucks to 1000 bucks. i'd personally go with buschur or ets

good tune - 300-600 bucks

intake - 50-250 dollars - again, i'd recommend buschur.

intercooler - ets or buschur or ams for the good stuff (i did back to back pulls with the ets on 28-29 psi and the intercooler was still cold. very cold on the outlet side) 450-600 bucks

piping - buschur, ams, ets - 400-600 bucks i think. these will require a mini battery which is around 200-280 dollars. piping is not so important. you can always go another brand which retains the stock battery. but you will have a slightly better throttle response with a shorter uicp. (uicp is an option but a licp is recommended.)

to get the most out of the stock turbo and stock engine, you will have to go top notch parts. buschur, ets, and ams have done a lot, a lot or r&d on their products.

just a note - i went 12.7 @109 with 25psi untuned, motor untouched, with a custom ****ty turboback exhaust, stock turbo, with all stock piping and stock airbox and using an ebay intercooler. this is on an evo8 with 100octane sonoco race fuel. looking back, i know i would have done that same time with a stock intercooler. i have now surpassed that and am going
buschur intake/battery/uicp/licp/exhaust
cams, pistons, rods, etc...
ets 3" intercooler and trashed my ebay fmic

Last edited by RedLanEVO; Dec 23, 2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

you really dont need a standalone ems, but at best, it will pull a few more horses, maybe 20-40 out of the car. an evo9 with these mods can get into the 11's but you gotta know how to drive. it is still reliable because you haven't touched the motor yet. but beware, you also have to be boosting much 26-28 psi to be reaching these limits on race gas etc...something will go if you race a lot. i mean a lot.

you can always spend money reflashing the stock ecu instead of getting and aftermarket ems. going the ems route for these amount of mods is not necessary. i am buuilding my motor and still am gonna stick with the stock ecu. once i go big turbo, i will probably get an aftermarket ems.

good boost control - 40-90 bucks

ems - I recommend aem. - 1800 with all sensors

turboback - anywhere from ebay 400 bucks to 1000 bucks. i'd personally go with buschur or ets

good tune - 300-600 bucks

intake - 50-250 dollars - again, i'd recommend buschur.

intercooler - ets or buschur or ams for the good stuff (i did back to back pulls with the ets on 28-29 psi and the intercooler was still cold. very cold on the outlet side) 450-600 bucks

piping - buschur, ams, ets - 400-600 bucks i think. these will require a mini battery which is around 200-280 dollars. piping is not so important. you can always go another brand which retains the stock battery. but you will have a slightly better throttle response with a shorter uicp. (uicp is an option but a licp is recommended.)

to get the most out of the stock turbo and stock engine, you will have to go top notch parts. buschur, ets, and ams have done a lot, a lot or r&d on their products.

just a note - i went 12.7 @109 with 25psi untuned, motor untouched, with a custom ****ty turboback exhaust, stock turbo, with all stock piping and stock airbox and using an ebay intercooler. this is on an evo8 with 100octane sonoco race fuel. looking back, i know i would have done that same time with a stock intercooler. i have now surpassed that and am going
buschur intake/battery/uicp/licp/exhaust
cams, pistons, rods, etc...
ets 3" intercooler and trashed my ebay fmic
ok, now I pretty much got the idea. However, reflashing your stock ECU would be a much cheaper alternative than getting a standalone which usually scares me since I always hear people having issues with them.

Im just wondering now what an STI can do if all I really need are simple bolt-ons on all stock components for an EVO to hit 11s.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i can't stand the noise of the sti boxer engine
lol seriously that was a minus for me
Old Dec 23, 2007, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

ok, now I pretty much got the idea. However, reflashing your stock ECU would be a much cheaper alternative than getting a standalone which usually scares me since I always hear people having issues with them.

Im just wondering now what an STI can do if all I really need are simple bolt-ons on all stock components for an EVO to hit 11s.
as far as i know, a turboback and a gm boost control solenoid with tuning can get an sti to run low 12's with good power and good driving. intake can be an option, dont really know how much of a difference it will make, maybe a couple horses. aftermarket exhaust manifold is not needed on either the evo or sti. the stock is more reliable. the motor is pretty easy to do ONCE it is out of the car. i hope i helped u some. i went through a lot of money and parts to get a very good combination when i first should have learned about this forum and read. it could have saved me a lot of money, 5000 plus. good thing u are

with an sti though, you really cant boost high because of its aluminum block. the 2.5l should put out good enough power to where lower boost should be ok. on the sti, there is no power gained from switching out the intercooler to an aftermarket type, you cant boost high enough on the stock engine to be needing a different intercooler. stick with a stock airbox on the sti too, its the same as on the evo.

even though i said a lot of things, i would personally stick with stock upper pipes and stock airbox/intake unless you wanted aftermarket cams.

Last edited by RedLanEVO; Dec 23, 2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 05:07 PM

i used to own a subaru before the evo and lets just say there is no comparison
Old Dec 23, 2007, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

as far as i know, a turboback and a gm boost control solenoid with tuning can get an sti to run low 12's with good power and good driving. intake can be an option, dont really know how much of a difference it will make, maybe a couple horses. aftermarket exhaust manifold is not needed on either the evo or sti. the stock is more reliable. the motor is pretty easy to do ONCE it is out of the car. i hope i helped u some. i went through a lot of money and parts to get a very good combination when i first should have learned about this forum and read. it could have saved me a lot of money, 5000 plus. good thing u are

with an sti though, you really cant boost high because of its aluminum block. the 2.5l should put out good enough power to where lower boost should be ok. on the sti, there is no power gained from switching out the intercooler to an aftermarket type, you cant boost high enough on the stock engine to be needing a different intercooler. stick with a stock airbox on the sti too, its the same as on the evo.

even though i said a lot of things, i would personally stick with stock upper pipes and stock airbox/intake unless you wanted aftermarket cams.
so according to you, dont even bother with intake? Just pretty much get a turboback, boost controller, get it tuned and maybe a bigger intercooler and be done with it?
Old Dec 23, 2007, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Here is my .02....

Evo good and bad....

1. shifter is nicer
2. steering wheel is nicer
3. seats look better (even on the 8)
4. seats hold you in place better
5. exterior looks better (opinion though)
6. Evo accomadates wider wheel/tire combos
7. 4G63
8. stock clutch doesn't take abuse too well
9. better stock turbo
10. fmic is more effifient

STi good and bad....

1. torquey engine
2. more HP stock
3. cams are expensive
4. working on them is a pain
5. tmic sitting on top of hot engine makes no sense
6. seats are ugly
7. seats aren't bolstered like the Evo
8. gauges are alot nicer
9. STi wing < Evo wing
10. shifter placement sucks IMO

These are just a few things off the top of my head, but when I buy a performance car, I'm not too worried about what the interior looks like just as long as its functional.

I've heard and read that the 07' STi's are having issues with full exhausts blowing the engines when not tuned. They apparently run really lean stock and adding mods with no tune spells disaster.

You can basically do more mods and bolt ons to the Evo and get more power out of the stock 16G. It seems all the STi guys do a full exhaust, intake, tune, and then go to a bigger turbo from there. That should tell you something.

Good luck with your choice. Both are nice cars, but the Evo having the 4G63 in it made it much easier to choose cause I never considered a STi. I honestly can't stand the sound of a Subaru.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 08:49 PM

The sti is more sensitive to knock and will pull timing when it senses this.The stock evo turbo will go farther with bolt ons than the sti's turbo.The evo is less expensive to modify than the sti engine power wise.Having worked on both motors the evo is easier to work on also.The 6 speed in the sti is bulletproof and the clutch is strong also.I had a 20g on my sti which put down 360whp (dyno dynamics 91 oct.) and the stock clutch held up fine although I rarely launched it out of the hole.

Quick Reply: Why did you choose an EVO 8 or 9 over an STI