Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Why did you choose an EVO 8 or 9 over an STI

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2007, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is the EVO 9GSR 5spd trans compared to the STI's? I mean, does the EVO clutch suck that much or is it just careless drivers who ruin them?
Old Dec 23, 2007, 10:40 PM

the early 03-04 evos had clutch issues i heard. but i think most people don't know how to drive. i have over 100 drag passes with my factory clutch and i'm consistently pulling 1.6-1.8 60 ft's. also my car has over 20k miles and still grabs great. (knock on wood)
Old Dec 23, 2007, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turbolag4500
the early 03-04 evos had clutch issues i heard. but i think most people don't know how to drive. i have over 100 drag passes with my factory clutch and i'm consistently pulling 1.6-1.8 60 ft's. also my car has over 20k miles and still grabs great. (knock on wood)
yup I agree, lot of teenage punk kids who beat the $hit of there EVOs and dump the clutch at like 7k...etc and it also ruins the EVO reputation b/c of people who take these cars for granted. In Europe and all over the world, EVO's and STI's are head turners and rare cars and are known are recognized as rally cars and just all good stuff about it while here in the states, EVO's and STI's rep's are bad b/c of many people who drive them and there style of driving. Anyways, what kinda HP and 1/4 times are you pushing with your stock clutch?
Old Dec 23, 2007, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got the evo because i went to a mitsu dealer first and fell in love with it. a few months later, i drove a friend's sti and i loved how it had little to nothing of turbo lag, so it made me doubt about my evo. but then i jumped into my car and fell those recaro hugging me, and the race car feel-like, i just feel and love with my evo again. lol.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 12:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turbolag4500
I have plenty of freinds with 03' Evo's still rocking the stock clutch with over 70,000 miles on it. The clutch will last if you don't abuse it. I had a 03' as well and never heard of a problem with the stock clutch other than not being able to take abuse too well which I mentioned in my first post.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Corey
I have plenty of freinds with 03' Evo's still rocking the stock clutch with over 70,000 miles on it. The clutch will last if you don't abuse it. I had a 03' as well and never heard of a problem with the stock clutch other than not being able to take abuse too well which I mentioned in my first post.
I agree I did not mean to say that the evo's had weak clutches
The known weakness of the sti is the non forged pistons and this only shows usually on poor tuning or if the car has bad detonation.
I guess on evo's its the clutch from people abusing it.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 06:06 AM

I haven't seen to many low 12 second STIs, then again I don't see alot of STIs at the track, and the ones I do, can't really drive. Same goes for the evos. Whether its possible or not? Probably, but it depends on the track/weather conditions.
All I have is hear say on the STI, but having a larger engine it will probably be more fun in daily driving situations, having torque without the turbo should be nice. The boxer sound is amazing, I really like them with open exhaust, probably the best sounding raw engine, IMO anyway. I assume you are checking the suby forums as well, so you will see the cons over there.
That said, I like my evo, I enjoy driving it every day. I love the interior, how the car responds, ect. The car fits ME well. I installed a turbo back since the time in my sig, still not tuned. If I can get my launch down it will be in the high 12s. Thats plenty fast for me I have an evo VIII btw, the IXs are rumored to respond better to basic bolt on mods
Old Dec 24, 2007, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

My car has 60300 miles and im still running on stock clutch.... i do 3rd gear pulls but never launched or anything and clutch is grabbing like new.... Knock on wood
Old Dec 24, 2007, 12:47 PM

40k, awd launched maybe a dozen times? Still driving fine and biting hard. I burnt it once practicing a launch on the street I can tell its getting a little softer then when I got it, but its still good for driving and mid gear pulls. I'll probably need another one in 5k miles if I keep tracking it.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 01:00 PM

listen i just got my evo like 3 weeks ago. not even 3 weeks ago. i literally smile when i get into it. LITERALLY. but the same is for an STi. they are both amazing cars and it really boils down to what you see yourself in. because either way what you get you wont care about not getting the other. if you come from driving a truck like it says in your avatar then you will be stunned by both. i will say after driving both the evo seemed more to my style. its a solid ride-i mean solid! and people say that its a harsh ride have bad backs mine is slammed and i LOVE the ride. you can feel it grip the road and you feel safe in it.

ever felt safe in an fbody or a mustang? get in one of these and those cars feel like boats i know i used to own a t/a.

you will notice that with either car you get because of the rarity of the cars and what it is you will rarely find someone givin you crap thats in an evo/sti because there is alot of respect for them when you own one.

the only thing is punks my age (19) will want to race you every second of everyday. and yeah its funny to watch them rev their little engines or rev their little mustangs(i live in texas more stangs than trucks here) and you just wave and smile.

whichever car you get make sure you invest in some good *** tires though and grandma that beast for a while.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

mods in sig, still stock clutch, stock ecu, Evo all the way.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by JaguarS4R
yup I agree, lot of teenage punk kids who beat the $hit of there EVOs and dump the clutch at like 7k...etc and it also ruins the EVO reputation b/c of people who take these cars for granted. In Europe and all over the world, EVO's and STI's are head turners and rare cars and are known are recognized as rally cars and just all good stuff about it while here in the states, EVO's and STI's rep's are bad b/c of many people who drive them and there style of driving. Anyways, what kinda HP and 1/4 times are you pushing with your stock clutch?
324hp and 321 lb/ft of torque (mustang dyno, 25 psi on 91 mixed with 100 mods: flash, hallman MBC, 3" tbe, ebay o2 housing.)
Old Dec 24, 2007, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Asmodeus6
mods in sig, still stock clutch, stock ecu, Evo all the way.
what should you car run in the 1/4 with your current setup, any more pics of the dobe? Awesome dog, mines 7 months
Old Dec 24, 2007, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Because I had access to a much better deal on an Evo, first and foremost.

Secondly, everything else (handling, engine, looks, etc. etc.)
Old Dec 24, 2007, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

oh btw, if I get an 06 EVO, will I still get the remaining 10yr/100k miles warranty?

Quick Reply: Why did you choose an EVO 8 or 9 over an STI