Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Why did you choose an EVO 8 or 9 over an STI

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JaguarS4R
oh btw, if I get an 06 EVO, will I still get the remaining 10yr/100k miles warranty?
That depends on if its modded and the dealer refuses to do warranty work on it. I bought a used 06' SE with 3400 miles on it and I still have the remaining warranty left. It's all stock too.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 05:13 PM

I got my evo because all my friends (that weren't really friends) had sti's haha... ohh and did I mention the evo is WAY more fun to drive?
Old Dec 25, 2007, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
oh btw, if I get an 06 EVO, will I still get the remaining 10yr/100k miles warranty?
No. I believe the 10 year/100k mile powertrain warranty applies only to the original owner and does not transfer over. But I believe for any subsequent owners will get a 5 year/60k mile powertrain warranty.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

What's an STI? Sounds like some kind of disease... I don't think anyone would want that.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its been said many many many times before. Research and take them for a test drive. I've owned an 04 wrx (loved it) then got an 05 STI (loved it even more) then when an old man crashed into my STi i went with the evo for a change. In my opinion, if you're using the car as just a dd and maybe some fun at the track go with an STi. Now if you're looking to mod the hell out of it, race it more than drive it around go with an evo.

STi good daily driver with power and tourque right from the factory
EVO track beast waiting to be unleashed

Old Dec 27, 2007, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

str

ok confused about something. Since 06 would be the ony model I would buy I have a question about the GSR. Theres RS (stripped model) GSR (the one I want ) and then the MR(the one I dont want since it has the weaker 6 spd trans) and the car I really want is the 06 GSR with the sun fun pack package. Ok, now my question is WHAT IS THE SE PACKAGE?
Old Dec 27, 2007, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

The SE package was introduced halfway through '06 and is basically a standard IX with certain goodies from the MR (aluminum roof, HIDs, foglights, BBS wheels) and a few extras (deeper front lip, Diamond Black wheel color, red interior stitching, SE trunk badge). The MR is available with the Appearance Package (though some people just call it the MR SE) which includes the SE's extras that the MR didn't already have.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 12:39 AM
Evolving Member

so the sun, fun and power pkg includes HID's, Leather, sunroof and a better stereo or just a 10" sub? Also, is the 5spd trans much better than the 6spd in the MR?
Old Dec 28, 2007, 01:50 AM
Evolved Member

so the sun, fun and power pkg includes HID's, Leather, sunroof and a better stereo or just a 10" sub? Also, is the 5spd trans much better than the 6spd in the MR?
The stereo system in the SSL package is upgraded all around. It's better than stock, but a lot of people have said that it's nothing fantastic, as a lot of people have stated that just changing out the head unit really wakes up the sound.

Regarding the 5-speed transmission, it has been said to be the better choice for quarter-mile drag racing particularly, though there are other reasons that people have that may vary... gas mileage (19/25 for the 5-speed and 18/24 for the 6-speed according to the EPA estimates, though there are some MR owners who say that steady highway cruising can definitely go quite beyond 24 mpg), durability (based on some reports of the MR's fourth gear having issues under the frequent stress of road racing and such), etc. However, the 6-speed is not a bad transmission, as there are many MR drivers who haven't had any issues while enjoying the smoother shifting (according to reports) and better cruising gear (extra gear = lower freeway rpms). It depends on what you're trying to do... if you're all about daily driving, you can't go wrong either way (though the MR may make things a little more comfortable overall), but if you want to go the heavy modding route or track your car frequently, then the 5-speed might be a better choice for the long-run.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 01:52 AM

i luv my GEN.9
Old Dec 31, 2007, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

Well I definetly want the EVO 9, but these are my current problems: Living in the 2nd biggest city in the country you would think there would be more for sale, buts its hard to find any in the Chicagoland/Milwaukee area and when I do find it, it sells the same day. I mean the only reason I would take an STI would be just b/c of the more features it offers especially cruise control. EVO is just such a better car. Another question, if the EVO 9 doesnt have the SSL package, nor the SE package and if its NOT and MR, does that mean it will most likely not have Xenons/HID's? Well this is what I would do with either car if I had, simple bolt-ons, NO Autocross or any road course racing, barely any drag strip racing. Just a daily driver, needs to be reliable with the mods I get and thats about. Nothing major.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

i heard the sti is more reliable... not sure how true. but id rather work on an evo than a sti any day.. plus i heard the evo is more powerful stock though..
Old Dec 31, 2007, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

The cars are so close in performance stock, its just a matter of taste. You're posting in EVO forum, so that kinda tells me your getting an EVO . My coworkers has an 06' STI. Its a nice looking, more comfortable ride but its not for me. The rawness of the evo is awsome. Although it would have been nice to have reclining seats As you can tell by the responses, the EVO can make a lot of power but so can a subie. Good like finding your IX SE.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Skywarp
You're posting in EVO forum, so that kinda tells me your getting an EVO .
Not always... I was a member of three or four Subaru forums before joining this one (I think in 2003?), and I ended up getting an Evo... two of them.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

whats the difference between 03, 04 and 05. I know they added S-AYC and took away the IC Mister but what else and is 05 a good evo to buy?

Quick Reply: Why did you choose an EVO 8 or 9 over an STI