Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo Pros vs. Cons

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2008, 09:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Evo Pros vs. Cons

I know theres a million threads about this but i am looking to buy an EVO VIII or IX. I have a month to search for my dream. GIVE ME YOUR IMPUT! My buddy recently purchased an MR and im looking along the same lines. Any word of advice helps
Old Jan 7, 2008, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Jan 7, 2008, 09:46 PM

=d

evo 8 ftw!
Old Jan 7, 2008, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoJoe21
I know theres a million threads about this but i am looking to buy an EVO VIII or IX. I have a month to search for my dream. GIVE ME YOUR IMPUT! My buddy recently purchased an MR and im looking along the same lines. Any word of advice helps
first make sure you can afford it. drive your buddies and if you like it buy one. search and find a clean non modded one if that's possible. i recommend a five speed but that is just me. good luck.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ok, everyone will tell you to search. I am bored so i wont do the same(though its out here a million times over)
Main Differences:
03-04 evo VIII 9.8 hot side on the turbo/NO ACD transfercase
05 EVO VIII 10.5 hotside just like EVO IX with ACD Transfer case
06 EVO IX has the 10.5 hotside/ACD Transfer case/mivec motor
The MR edition of the Above EVOs basically just come with the 6speed trans and bilsteins.
the IX will generally make around the same power and an VIII with similar mods+cams.
If you can get a IX, go with that.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by wroblewskievo
first make sure you can afford it. drive your buddies and if you like it buy one. search and find a clean non modded one if that's possible. i recommend a five speed but that is just me. good luck.
it seems like more people prefer a five speed. i know the six speed is geared lower but really...whats the best spent money?
Old Jan 7, 2008, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoJoe21
it seems like more people prefer a five speed. i know the six speed is geared lower but really...whats the best spent money?
if you look at most high hp evo's the majority run the 5 speed. I really haven't seen alot of six speeds fail. it depends on your goals for the car. if you are a weekend guy don't worry about the six speed. i would be more concerned with getting a clean used evo that has not been modded. they should be priced around the same. get a ix if possible.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

get the IX. non IX recaros look like some fat guys blue hawiian shirt. better bumper
Old Jan 7, 2008, 10:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the absolute only CON i can figure is that you could potentially be addicted to going faster and faster and it may drain your bank account.. other than that the EVO IMO is the baddest all around vehicle on the planet..
Old Jan 7, 2008, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

^^^^+1 on the addiction. Pros are the addiction to modifying one of the best tuner cars out there. Con is that it's no luxury vehicle.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by USP Motorsports
the absolute only CON i can figure is that you could potentially be addicted to going faster and faster and it may drain your bank account.. other than that the EVO IMO is the baddest all around vehicle on the planet..
haha i think you basically nailed the only CON. who isnt addicted to going faster
Interior wise...i like the IX and i also do like the body change made from the VIII to the IX
Whats a fairly reasonable price for an '05? Bone Stock. Im trading in a car so i have to get it at a dealer
Old Jan 8, 2008, 01:34 PM
Former Sponsor

+ 1 on the addiction, and to add to it..
1. when somethings wrong with it, or something doesnt feel right with it, its all thats on your mind.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by whoang40
^^^^+1 on the addiction. Con is that it's no luxury vehicle.
That's the second only con. Going faster is the first con of any car you buy when you're addicted to... uh... going faster? The pro to the first con for the Evo is that it is cake to make it go faster... Cake, and cheap. Like cake from Costco, only instead of tasting like crap it tastes like grandma's old fashioned cake...

IMO I would get a "GSR" (rather, a non-RS non-MR) '05 or '06 if I was buying another Evo. I need/want too many of the features not on the RS, and the "features" on the MR aren't worth it. As far as the price it depends highly on the condition and mileage of the car, I've seen older Evos go for all sorts of prices from around 17k to 30k. Ideally you would find one that was actually worth 23-25k, IMO. But one like that could be at a dealer for upwards of 28k.

Edit: after reading Diiirk's post, there's a lot of cons once you're into cars this much... I felt the same as he said with the old S2k, with our family TT, and now with the Porsche.

Last edited by UT_Evo; Jan 8, 2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
28k seems right to me. I got one from the dealer with 30k miles, owned for a little less then a year on the east coast. It had a catback and a boost guage With what my trade in was worth, plus neg equity I paid about 23k for the car.
Yellow 05 VIII with SSL, I love the car, the payment, not so much, but its do able. I would rather not make any car payments anymore lol. Wouldn't we all.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by diiirk
+ 1 on the addiction, and to add to it..
1. when somethings wrong with it, or something doesnt feel right with it, its all thats on your mind.
this is completely true.