Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2008, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Newbie

Hey guys the day has finally come that my 1998 Lexus Gs 300 blew up. I can finally start my search for an evo but i had a few questions before getting more serious about making a purchase.

1. Ive heard that the 03's arent as mechanically sound as the other yr's so should i consider getting somthing newer.

2. I was wondering how many people DD their evos.

3. Ive heard of clutch problems with various models.

4. And for mods i was looking into doing the Buschur racing total power package its $2,200 which includes: "Your choice of HKS cams, New timing belt & tensioner, BR Air Filter Kit, BR full 3" Turboback exhaust with your choice of mufflers as well as an Off-road pipe or highflow cat, Manual Boost Controller, boost gauge and mount, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, and a reflashed ECU to control boost, timing & fuel curves, remove the speed limiter, and raise the rev limiter". It says thats for a solid 330+ hp on the dyno. Would there be a less exspensive way to make that power or is this a good deal?

All help would be appreciated and please dont post hateful remarks if you dont like my post you dont have to post a reply telling me about it your just wasting your and my time.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Old Jan 9, 2008, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry about your GS blowing up. Now on to a more exciting car!

1. Try to get a IX. I have an 03 but if I could do it all over again I would get a IX.

2. Lots of members here DD their evos and some don't. I sure DD mine!

3. I hear clutches failing is a result of abuse. I have 40k on my stocker and still pulling strong.

4. I think for starters, a TBE w/hfc or test pipe, drop in filter, MBC, walboro and tune would get you off to a great start! That BR package is excellent start as well.

Have fun!
Old Jan 9, 2008, 05:06 PM

DD my 03 and have had no mechanical problems at all....still going strong 46.000 miles!
Old Jan 9, 2008, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got a 06 9 mr as my DD but i started with a 03 evo8 and wish i coulda just waited to get the 9 first sooo if ur looking go for a 9 much better after owning one myself
Old Jan 9, 2008, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

My IX is a DD.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 05:28 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys keepem comming!
Old Jan 9, 2008, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

the 03 and 04 evo's have been known to some issues, however out of the local owners i have met, no one has seemed to run into any trouble. i would get a IX if at all possible, simply because the MIVEC head on the engines makes the car take to mods like nothing i have ever seen. with a Turbo Back Exhaust, new panel filter, and a good solid tune (on stock boost), i have been able to hold my own against VIII's that have my same mods, plus cams and slightly higher boost (in a straight line).

i daily drive my evo. i have been thinking of getting a second car so i don't have to put so many miles on her. it sounds stupid, but i feel bad when my evo is made to do ***** work like run to the store. i have decided though, that unless i got another evo, i wouldn't want to daily drive anything else. the car is really pleasing to drive, driveability is excellent. over long trips, 4 hours or more, it can be a little tiring with the stiff suspension, but nothing unmanageable.

as far as the clutch, that really depends on how you drive it. i had an 05 before i picked up my 06 and blew the clutch on it in 15k miles. i take full responsibility though. the reason it went was due to very poor and repeated drag launches at the track. so far i have 12k on my new evo, and the clutch is solid. i am confident it will last for a good while longer.

with good driving i have seen the clutches last to 25k with constant racing and gobs of additional horsepower. and i mean, constant racing, haha (mainly autocrossing and hillclimbs, very little drag racing). with good driving and no racing, they can last much longer.

as for power, as 03SilvaEvo said, "a TBE w/hfc or test pipe, drop in filter, MBC, walboro and tune" is an excellent start. the BR packages are also a great value for the money. my advice is to search the forum and look into what you want carefully before starting your modding. there are many different choices out there as far as mods, and many fine choices at that, but you should really look into it and figure out what will work best for you, and most importantly, what you like.

good luck finding your evo man, i'm sure you will enjoy her.

oh, and one final note. DO NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES run the OEM tires in the winter. they are summer only tires, and should not be run in temperatures under 40 degrees, and especially never in ice or snow. it sounds obvious when you say, but it bears repeating.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

I daily drive my IX SE and it puts a smile on my face everytime I hit boost
Old Jan 9, 2008, 05:59 PM

^ +1
Old Jan 9, 2008, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^oh Yes!!!!!
Old Jan 9, 2008, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Problems with my '03 DD: broken windshield due to stone hit, failed battery, new style levers for the heater box and that's it.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 06:50 PM

mine is a DD. get the evo 9 bro. good luck!
Old Jan 9, 2008, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

i dd mine...25k and no problems....clutches go bad cuz people launch their evos....don't launch and it will last ...one guy reported like 90k still on the stock clutch...depends on ur mods too...more power=more clutch wear....i'm going for the record since i have never and will never launch my car...also my evo is stock and will stay stock.....i'm not racing or anything so it is plenty fast the way it is...plus it will last longer if i leave it stock...it's just common sense....more mods and racing and so forth is gonna lead to things breaking sooner....which is fine if you have the money to fix things and that's what you want to do....your choice
Old Jan 9, 2008, 07:43 PM

thanks guys great responses i was also wondering how u felt about the black recaros with the blue inserts. They look a hell of alot better than the sti seats which in my opinion are god awful but ive noticed that they kinda fade and start to look bad with wear has anyone had this problem with the black and red recaros. Also does anyone have sun and leather package and if so do u like it?
Old Jan 10, 2008, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

well bro if you get a IX MR it comes with the black leather and black inserts. I haven't had any problems yet with my seats.