Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Is it posible to import a jdm evo from japan?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2008, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Is it posible to import a jdm evo from japan?

If so what are we looking at here with costs and such... i'm gonna go do some more searching but has anybody here done that or heard of it being done? TIA
Old Jan 11, 2008, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

why......
Old Jan 11, 2008, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Uhmmm. Why would you go thru all the trouble to do that? Just cuz it's right hand drive? Not worth the time, money and effort.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Are we talking about ordering a brand new JDM Evo X , or buying a used Evo in Japan?

Last edited by sparky; Jan 11, 2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If the car is not built and equipped to meet federal D.O.T. safety standards with regards to safety glass, bumpers. crash beams, headlights, stoplights, turn signals, side reflectors, air bags and etc., and the engine does not conform to emissions standards you may have a hard time registering the vehicle for road use in the U.S.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

i was told that they were cheaper... hmmmm
Old Jan 12, 2008, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

I say Driving A Right Hand Evo is like getting brain from any ***** you want... Hah
Old Jan 12, 2008, 07:52 PM

Years ago a buddy in Tennessee imported an EVO from Japan. The only thing they did was flash the ECU to meet emission standards? I believe he paid $25k for the car and $2500 for shipping. No clue where he is now. He raced it at the DSM Shootout in Ohio back in the day.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grenad3
i was told that they were cheaper... hmmmm
Used cars are generally cheaper in Japan. But that doesn't necessarily mean it would be cheaper if you brought it here nor would it be legal.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

out of all the responses only one guy gave any info on how much it would cost or if it was possible. i do know its possible. anything is possible if u have money.i dont c y importing a jdm evo is any different then importing a skyline. i was wondoring the same thing cuz i wanted a yellow evo 9. i just ended up buying a tb evo instead.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 09:20 PM

The coolest part of him importing his EVO was that it had AYC and he was an avid autox / lapping day racer. This put him many years ahead of the other Mitsus out there. Hell, we just got it in the X.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 06ravenmr
out of all the responses only one guy gave any info on how much it would cost or if it was possible. i do know its possible. anything is possible if u have money.i dont c y importing a jdm evo is any different then importing a skyline. i was wondoring the same thing cuz i wanted a yellow evo 9. i just ended up buying a tb evo instead.
thanks man, i'll be stationed there for 3-4 years so i figured why not bring some ish back..
Old Jan 15, 2008, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

I think it would be difficult to say the least. Getting the skyline to US soil was not an easy process. Motorex had to buy 2 cars and modify them to meet US specs and I think they had to crash test one and pay for it to be done. So easy.. NO - I would say it's not easy.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 04:49 PM

I have seen an EVO III here in the denver area, not sure how he got it... but anything is possible with the right money, i have tried to talk to the guy but he's is very sneaky...
if i ever do ill post what he said, i also have seen some guys that take all the guts from a JDM evo and put it in a mirage and basically make a evo conversion....
Old Jan 15, 2008, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

If u know the right guy to import an EVO 9 in yellow color its not as hard as it sounds. Skylines Can be legalized and its not a hard process... The GTR 34 cannot be legalized AT ALL unless u change the vins n to OBD 1 not obd2.

evo's should go the same way i believe but MONEY talks....

Quick Reply: Is it posible to import a jdm evo from japan?