Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

What it takes to hang with a supra

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2008, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Danner
So i think we have come to an agreement that supra is superior on highway. I also noticed someone posted about supra being able to handle to.

Say you built both a supra and Evo for handling, which one would perform better?

That's a tough one too. I'd say look at the time attack results and such. Also, I think it would depend on the track. A small/tight track advantage evo. A long sweeping track advantage supra.

My supra definately does not feel as agile, light, and grounded as the evo.... BUT it's not built for the curves either.

Lastly, I think a evo is going to make a average driver look better where a supra may make a average driver look average or worse due to power band of a small single and lack of ACD and awd.

In the end, this debate is just pissing in the wind. Both cars are awesome for what they are built for.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Danner
So i think we have come to an agreement that supra is superior on highway. I also noticed someone posted about supra being able to handle to.

Say you built both a supra and Evo for handling, which one would perform better?
Something to note, Supras pull .98g's stock. http://www.97supraturbo.com/ So they can definitely handle the twisties. Give them a long road coarse where they can stretch their legs and watch what happens. Supras can dominate the bigger tracks in time attack. Evo's will have a much better advantage in the smaller tighter tracks.

Personally I think Supras are much harder to drive at the limits compared to the EVO. It is not a boy racer car, you have to know what you are doing.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Wanna see an Evo beat this on the Highway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmNy-ajRV0U

Ive raced 600whp supra a few times and had less than a car on him to some high MPH's
Have the vidz but you know how that goes....
Old Feb 4, 2008, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ev0cRaZy
Wanna see an Evo beat this on the Highway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmNy-ajRV0U

Ive raced 600whp supra a few times and had less than a car on him to some high MPH's
Have the vidz but you know how that goes....

lol at that vid. That vid was filmed where I live. It was a stock motor with 272 cams and a GT42-74 turbo. It was also sporting a th400. Fast car for sure, but not as fast as the internet has it pegged as. Other then the tranny which hurts highway rolls due to loosey goosey converter, that is the average hp kinda supra now adays.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
towing rope.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

^^Ahhh i c, everyone made it out to be a killer hp car.

It def. doesnt look average though....Looks like a high hp car.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ev0cRaZy
^^Ahhh i c, everyone made it out to be a killer hp car.

It def. doesnt look average though....Looks like a high hp car.

It dynoed liek mid 700's if I remember right... that is through a TH400 with a unlocked stall... so say 25% drive train loss at most, 20% at least.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

Here's what yo got to do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWW0-gQMWCc
Old Feb 4, 2008, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evogottago
Hey all, I know the evo wasn't built to be a highway monster due to AWD and the fact that it's a 4 cylinder. But if i were to want to build one to hang with some of the high end supra's on the highway, what would i need?
a supra
Old Feb 4, 2008, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 1 fast evo 2
What's up guys? My name is Mike Reichen and from what I have been reading on here it appears that not many of you have heard of me or my car for some reason.
I drive an evo 2 and it is currently the third quickest evo in the united states(8.96 @158) and it is the fastest evo in the world (215.9 mph in the standing mile).
Anyway lets get back on target, I personally would not have a problem racing and beating all but a few of the supras out there on the highway(there may be between 5-10 that could possibly beat me from a roll)(very doubt full). You may think supras hook from a roll but the really fast ones don't. Now if you are talking maximum velocity yes the supras would come by like a frieght train on the very top end.

Step back to my car for a minute, I have been a fan of land speed racing for a longtime (it stems from all that highway racing back in the day) and yes years ago AMS did sponsor my tallon for drag racing. At that
time I used to tell them that I was going to go mile racing and land speed racing and they would laugh at me and say I was crazy and why would I want to do that but now that I have been doing so well at it they are going to come out and try to steal my little bit of glory!
Well I appreciate the challenge and I quess I should be proud that they find my little low buget car as some sort of threat to they're shops manhood! And to finish off I hope they bring enough to the party because I know DEVO TUNING and I will!!!!!
This should be funnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!
P.S.- Oh by the way I have had plans underway all winter for my Bonneville trip this year.

WOW,

And I was told you were actually a pretty cool guy ! ! To clear up any confusion, the car AMS is currently helping prepare, is mine. I went to them, to work with me on this project (which has nothing to do with you ).

My plans included testing at different standing mile's to get an idea of what would ultimately be required to get the car to run well at bonneville.

Your records are no doubt impressive, I was kind of hoping for a different response, considering this form of racing is usually dominated by turbo supras, and twin turbo vipers ..

As far as bringing enough to the table ? ? you have to be kidding me ! ! get a grip on your ego ! ! I think their work, and records speak for themselves.

I look foward to meeting you.

-Tommy-

-sorry for off topic-

Last edited by ferrarokid; Feb 4, 2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

haha that video by Ev0cRaZy is actually what made me ask the question in the first place lol. But i would love to see that ls1 evo go from a roll w/ a supra if they could manage to get it to work, that would be sick. I heard they never really got all the kinks worked out on it though.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Unless you have lots of money to pour into the evo, it's not gonna come close to a Supra TT. The 2JZ is marvelous automotive engineering.. period. It is indeed the highway king on the street.. More Supras will rape EVOs from a highway than the other way around.. Period.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

heres a video of a supra vs M3 vs IX...its in german tho.,so the answer is......
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=3

Last edited by jenx1976; Feb 4, 2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JamesN
That's a tough one too. I'd say look at the time attack results and such. Also, I think it would depend on the track. A small/tight track advantage evo. A long sweeping track advantage supra.

My supra definately does not feel as agile, light, and grounded as the evo.... BUT it's not built for the curves either.

Lastly, I think a evo is going to make a average driver look better where a supra may make a average driver look average or worse due to power band of a small single and lack of ACD and awd.

In the end, this debate is just pissing in the wind. Both cars are awesome for what they are built for.
this is what happens when a supra gets off a highway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMZJ1E6BI0c
Old Feb 4, 2008, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jenx1976
heres a video of a supra vs M3 vs IX...its in german tho.,so the answer is......
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=3
As I said - on the roll = destruction.

Quick Reply: What it takes to hang with a supra