Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo 8 Problems

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2008, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dont do it
Old Feb 6, 2008, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

Give the car a good look over, drive it, look fo rall the things you would look fo rin buying any car. Is the clutch stock? If so, it probably wasn't beat on that bad. Those mods are minor. Look fo rany signs of aftermarket boost control. If all the stock stuff is still there, and it looks like it's all been there it migh tbe worth it.

Price?

My 03 just went over 50k and the only problem I have had is a bad HID ballast that I changed over. As others staed, the tranny is fine, it's the clutch. Sometimes shifting is a bit notchy, look for that also.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
BOV = Moron as stated earlier.

Evo never came in pacific blue, only Blue By You for 03-04 and Electric Blue from 05 on. Also, all Evos came with Recaro seats and Brembo brakes.
Incorrect. the evo was Pacific blue in 03 and the code number is T10.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 09:00 AM

Alright guys thanks for the info! Ill deffinately look for these things if i go and decide to look at the car.

The first car is in an auction so price is unknown. And not sure who it was driven by.

The second car is for sell by a dealer but its his personal so. And the price is 20999 but im sure i could talk him down a little bit if i decided to buy it. And im guessing hes in his 30's or 40's.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sirevo8lancelot
Incorrect. the evo was Pacific blue in 03 and the code number is T10.
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2003/mit...37/colors.html

Yea, so I guess this Edmunds article and the 03 Mitsu brochure Im looking at are wrong...

The color might have been called Pacific blue in other markets, but it was BBY here, so why call it anything else? Are we that JDM?

Last edited by Tristar; Feb 6, 2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sinister_Kid_xX
...Also, there is another 03 evo for sale by a private seller ... On it are BS wheels and Brembo Brakes with a recaro interior. Also has aftermarket spring and exhaust. The owner didnt specify the type. What do you guys think of this car?

hopefully they are not some "BS" wheels and are actually BBS. You can assume the seller mis-spoke, but that doesn't speak well of his knowledge of the details of his car.

small point, but a point none the less.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

its BBY
Old Feb 6, 2008, 08:50 PM

Sorry i missed a B. my fault.

But what deal do you guys think is better?
Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:29 AM

First of all, the BOV was not that bad of an idea as far as long term thinking goes, however not recirculating it, was and can still be done for under $30 if the intake pipe has the recirc tube (it's normally got the crappy plastic one). The big thing your runing into is timing/balance shaft belt changing time, if you put average to above average milage on it. That can get expensive if a shop has to do it. That's my .02 cents worth, also you may want to check out this thread if you haven't already also :

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=317064
Old Feb 7, 2008, 07:19 AM

^Thanks for the link...

I got a question that wasnt answer in the thread though:
What's Active Center Differential (ACD)

and also

what gas mileage would i be looking at?
Old Feb 7, 2008, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

ACD is Active Center Differential. You can switch Between Tarmac, Gravel and Snow and the car changes the power set-up to grip better under that condition. It helps at times, but its EXPENSIVE if you have to do drivetrain work that involves the Transfer Case.

Gas Mileage will be around 20MPG if you drive it moderately. I am getting about 15 but I am heavily modified and have a hard time staying off the pedal.

I would go with the Blue one, as long as the dealers not a dick.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

the evo is very very well built. I would not be afraid of 60k. I would have the car looked by a tech that knows evos. Spend a few hundred to have it inspected and then enjoy. The tranny will get tore up with quick shift drag racing, the clutch will get fried when slipped on launching, no different then most any other car used for racing. A well taken care of car is worth a few thousand more then one that has not been taken care of ie... documented fluid changes, fresh brakes if needed (high quality pads), good tires that are matching not some cheap tires that don't match the evo's ability or miss matched tires. My .02 lastly take the hks bov off and put on a mr bov car will perform better. and no acd on the 03.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 04:38 PM

^Why do you say take off the HKS BOV?
Old Feb 8, 2008, 12:13 AM

You don't need to, all you need is a small allen wrench and this 1" tube made for the HKS BOV:
http://www.extremepsi.com/store/cust...at=1007&page=2

That will be able to hold more boost then you probly ever plan on running, however the same can't be said for a stock Evo VIII BOV .
Old Feb 8, 2008, 12:20 AM
Evolved Member

54,000 miles .. high miles .. (super laughs out loud) ... NOT EVOs really are stout if you can verify the owner took pretty good care of it.
All of the suggestions for checking the various component are great!
You will really want to change a timing belt at 60,000 which may be your first really big service issue ...
Good luck on the purchase,
~j.

Quick Reply: Evo 8 Problems