Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Questions about Evo IX, my first experience driving turbo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2008, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Questions about Evo IX, my first experience driving turbo

Hey guys,

So warning, these are probably stupid questions. But please understand that I've never driven a turbo car, nor really ridden in one. So certain things confused me a little bit, and as it wasn't a new car I didn't know what was normal and what wasn't.

1. Throttle response wasn't instantanious. Even when I was in the turbo range (no throttle, just coasting) and I'd put the pedal down it would take a second to accelerate. I attributed this to exaust having a split second to spin (spool) the turbo. That's normal?

2. I really couldn't hear the diverter valve inside the car. I'd be accelerating in boost range and let off but I wouldn't hear anything. Is that normal? I had figured I'd hear the diverter valve let off a little bit or something. Though I don't really know...

3. Not really a question, but I did discover how difficult it is to baby that car. I would be below 3k rpm and couldn't keep a steady acceleration once I hit boost. The car just wanted to GO!

4. Not a question either... boost put a huge stupid grin on my face once I hit it for the first time. With half throttle I hit 3k thinking not much would happen, my girl and I both got pushed back into the seat and I couldn't stop smiling. My girl was laughing at me because of the stupid grin I had on my face. Oh god was that such a good feeling.

5. Observation - I was entering the freeway on a decreasing radius turn and it started to slip a little bit (just a little, didn't want to push too far...). I let off the gas and it figured it all out for me. Didn't have to chase the tail (which I'm used to) to straighten out or anything. So easy, so much fun.

Anyway guys, I now own a GG IX SE. She's still at the shop getting her check up (they can't sell it to me without putting it through an inspection) but I should be picking her up tomorrow. Couple dings, a little bit of curb rash which sucks, but I can fix it. Stock other than a blue light on the dome light. I can't tell you how excited I am to join the family.

SOEX
Old Feb 14, 2008, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Turbo lag normal.You want to hear the DV put on a cone filter,then get a tune.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you start pushing the car to its limits, and the back end starts coming out... don't let off the gas. you _will_ crash/spin out. good luck!
Old Feb 14, 2008, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SOEX
4. Not a question either... boost put a huge stupid grin on my face once I hit it for the first time. With half throttle I hit 3k thinking not much would happen, my girl and I both got pushed back into the seat and I couldn't stop smiling. My girl was laughing at me because of the stupid grin I had on my face. Oh god was that such a good feeling.
It doesn't stop there.. wait till you hit 30+psi on a bigger turbo..
Old Feb 14, 2008, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

the first 2 questions are normal...even if your in your turbos "spool range"...its gonna take time to hit full boost or whatever boost you would be at...because everytime you let off the throttle your not boosting anymore so it needs to build up again.
Now with the stock DV and the stock intake box you can barely hear it...basically because it is re-circulated back to your intake and with the stock intake box it just muffles the sound and you can barely hear it. You can just do what was mentioned above and put a cone filter and you will be able to hear it more...but if not tuned for it you might actually loose some performance.

Last edited by Evo-IX-MOMO248; Feb 14, 2008 at 08:33 PM. Reason: accidently entered it
Old Feb 14, 2008, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

i remember that feeling like it was yesterday...ahhh those were the days, enjoy it, sooner or later you'll get used to the power and your going to start thinking there is something wrong with your car cuz it does not feel fast anymore...
Old Feb 14, 2008, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

I had the same thought as you man. I couldn't believe how hard the car smacks you into the seat when you hit over 3K. I laugh everytime I drive my Evo, its such a blast to drive. I've found it works better to roll into the loud pedal rather than smash it to the floor, the power comes on more seamlessly. If you think its fast now, just do the stage 1 mods and you've practically got an 11 sec Evo. Congrats on getting an SE, my favorite and probably the rarest of the IX's too.

Last edited by EVOSE06; Feb 14, 2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by r0me0ne
i remember that feeling like it was yesterday...ahhh those were the days, enjoy it, sooner or later you'll get used to the power and your going to start thinking there is something wrong with your car cuz it does not feel fast anymore...
haha...i know EXACTLY what you mean...and yes you will most likely feel like that too. You think its fast now.
I actually thought my car got slower...everyone who i took for a ride kept telling me its fast as ***** but im like no, i dont feel it anymore. and thats how you get "mod syndrome"....you keep getting used to the power and just want more
Old Feb 15, 2008, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dexmix
if you start pushing the car to its limits, and the back end starts coming out... don't let off the gas. you _will_ crash/spin out. good luck!
+1,000,000