Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Ebay vortex generators a bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2008, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ebay vortex generators a bad idea?

Yo, I just got my 06 ix electric blue evo, and i want to get vortex generator cuz i love how they look on MRs. I was looking on ebay and saw some for as cheap as 30$ shipped (black, they say its ready to paint any color) and as cheap as 50$ for the carbon fiber look (says this one is also ready to paint any color). Are these ok to add to the car? i know its not the original MR vg but it wouldnt hurt to add it , or would it...

are they really ready to paint any color? (maybe one day to the color of my car)

does the double sided 3M tape damage the paint if i were to remove the vg one day?

carbon fiber or black? (cb to match the wing)

overall good deal or not?

thanks in advance for the input and opinions

Last edited by LakerRaider; Feb 23, 2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 04:50 PM
Account Disabled

U never know with ebay!
Old Feb 23, 2008, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do not get it its made for aluminum roofs only.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 01:41 AM
Evolved Member

i would not get it from ebay when you can get one from rexpeed painted for $105 shipped with free express shipping. rexpeed guarantees fitment and stands behind his product. here is a link https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=244813 ive bought a few things from him one being painted side veiw mirrors. the paint matched perfectly.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:49 AM
Account Disabled

I got one from ebay and its not that great. From a distance, you can't tell how much of a difference there is between the black from the car (I have a TB Evo) and the black VG, but up close you can see the VG is lighter in color. Plus, I had to drill a hole for the antenna. I should've gotten another brand. I would suggest going with someone else. You can paint it if you want, it comes black. Its not glossy either. The 3M tape won't damage the paint, as long as you're not scraping it off. Heat it up with a blowdryer or something to get it off.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, so what u guys are sayin is that VG's are only for the aluminum-roofed evos? Ive got an 03 VIII and have been wantin one for a while, just been spendin my money on performance parts instead. Can I get one of these, or not? And that the ebay ones are not worth it??? Not too concerned about the color matching since I want a CF one. Hows the fitment?
Old Feb 24, 2008, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I'd stay away from the E-bay ones and go with someone more reputable.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

I have one from ebay. The fitment was great. It took all of 15 minutes to install. and didn't have to do any drilling or anything like that. Mine is just plain black but offsets good with my bby. I'd suggest if you get one off of there to make sure it has the edge that goes under the roof trim pieces, like the factory piece.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 01:01 PM

i would get the rexspeed one but chances are that the ebay one may be legit .
Old Feb 24, 2008, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

i got one from ebay for like $20 then $20 for shipping but it fits perfect had no problems. so something like this ebay is fine in my opinion.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Is there any aerodynamic advantage to these or is it just for looks?
Old Feb 24, 2008, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

I think Ill try one of the CF ones off ebay. Not the cheapest ofcourse, but somethin decently priced. I just dont see myself spending $250+ on a VG
Old Feb 24, 2008, 04:12 PM

my friend has one on his GSR
Old Mar 1, 2008, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

i suggest you do your research first, i have bought 3 of them off ebay. the first one didnt come with double sided tape so i just put it on and it flew off on the highway. the second one was terrible fitment and did not fit at all so i threw that one away since the seller never responded to any of my complaints. the last one i bought was from the seller baysonr heres the link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-07...ayphotohosting i recommend him because they come with good quality 3M tape and fitment is real good. the only thing i suggest is that you install the VG during warm weather, not cold weather or the tape will come off. you should heat it with a blowdryer right before you put it on so best results. and whoever said it was for aluminum roofs, im curious why you say that, not trying to be a *** i just didnt hear that before.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 02:26 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for all the input guys i decided to go with the cb look on ebay with vendor baysonr and everything is cool so far....i went about 145 yesterday and it didnt fly off so thats a good sign. the only negative is that the carbon fiber "look" wasnt the exact pattern on the wing , which would have been nice but who cares its similar enough and from a distance it looks the same,so heres how it looks

Last edited by LakerRaider; Mar 2, 2008 at 02:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Ebay vortex generators a bad idea?