Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

AWD 50X50 split....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2008, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AWD 50X50 split....

why is an sti able to split its AWD from 60X40 to 50X50 and not the Evo??...what is it that controls switching them back and forth? can a similar system be installed in an Evo??? and info regarding this and the evo would be great...
Old Apr 14, 2008, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

I thought to myself this must be the same guy who asked what the difference between a turboback and catback exhaust is? and i was right!

I don't know where you get your info but the the only sti that can split power is the brand new 5 door sti's. The older (better looking) sti's did not have anything different then acd which 05-06 Evo's have. The new Evo X cannot split power like that manually but it has sawd which is much better. Every comparison between the new Evo X and new Sti have proven the evo to be better. They have also favored the older Evo's over the older Sti's except for daily drivability. Why would you want to split power like that? Is there specific reason?

The Sti has never handled anywhere near an Evo so why would anyone with an Evo want to mimic what the Sti has?

Last edited by DSMEVOLUTION; Apr 14, 2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 09:48 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DSMEVOLUTION
I thought to myself this must be the same guy who asked what the difference between a turboback and catback exhaust is? and i was right!

I don't know where you get your info but the the only sti that can split power is the brand new 5 door sti's. The older (better looking) sti's did not have anything different then acd which 05-06 Evo's have. The new Evo X cannot split power like that manually but it has sawd which is much better. Every comparison between the new Evo X and new Sti have proven the evo to be better. They have also favored the older Evo's over the older Sti's except for daily drivability. Why would you want to split power like that? Is there specific reason?

The Sti has never handles anywhere near an Evo so why would anyone with an Evo want to mimic what the Sti has?
not sure what sti's you've been in but all usdm sti's have DCCD (driver controlled center differential)

there is no answer to this question...subaru did their thing and mitsu did theirs

you are comparing apples to oranges here

both are fruits but that's where the similarities end
Old Apr 14, 2008, 09:51 PM

thanks for your input...i asked b.c i had been talking to a local sti owner at a weekly car meet and he was telling me that his '06 or '07 sti's awd system differed from the evo being that "you can switch the power ratio with its gear box" or something of the nature...so i figured i'd follow it up on here and see what was up with it and why the evo doesn't....seems like a 50/50 split would be better then the (correct me if im wrong) 60/40 split....and if not 50/50 i wonder why mits. didnt put the majority to the rear, having it 40/60...thanks for ur .02 cents...im new to the evo....
Old Apr 14, 2008, 09:55 PM

ahhh that must be it^^^DCCD....pretty cool stuff...i understand 60% up front for better handeling i guess, since u steer with the front...just seems like the majority of the power would be delivered to the rear...seeing as the weight is transfered to the rear during heavy acceleration....o.0 (i still think 50/50 FTW)
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by big twinn
ahhh that must be it^^^DCCD....pretty cool stuff...i understand 60% up front for better handeling i guess, since u steer with the front...just seems like the majority of the power would be delivered to the rear...seeing as the weight is transfered to the rear during heavy acceleration....o.0 (i still think 50/50 FTW)
You don't want more than 50% in the front then you just get FWD understeer when giving it gas.

First two things about the old subie setup it had a mechanical 65/35 rear to front torque split and it has an electronic LSD of sorts to slip a percentage. In the Evo there is no bias so the torque split is 50/50. Now the interesting part is when you try locking up the diff so the torque evenly goes anywhere there is traction. Both systems are limited to the strengths of the locking systems. In the STI its mechanically biased to the rear so if the front tires need torque they are at a mechanical disadvantage. In the evo there is no bias so the torque is simply limited to the strength of the clutch .

Hope all that craziness makes sense
Old Apr 15, 2008, 08:47 AM

wow suprisingly yes...thats very useful ...i really appriciate ur insight and information...very informative....is there a place i can go to get more info related to the work of the evo such as this??
Old Apr 15, 2008, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why is an sti able to split its AWD from 60X40 to 50X50 and not the Evo??...
Because the Evo doesnt have DCCD. (Also, this is OT, but is DCCD really good for anything? We leave ours on Auto). I mostly leave the Evo on Tarmac although sometimes I will switch to gravel if it's raining.

What is it that controls switching them back and forth?
The Evo uses the ACD pump to change from Tarmac / Gravel / Snow. The STI uses Unicorn magic to change it's torque split.

Can a similar system be installed in an Evo??? and info regarding this and the evo would be great
The Evo has an AWD traction control system that's superior to the Subaru system, it's called ACD and SAYC. It doesnt have Unicorn magic though.

By the way, just kidding about the unicorn magic. You'll probably have to go search on a Suby forum to find out the DCCD details. I have one but it's a worthless button as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Apr 15, 2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow suprisingly yes...thats very useful ...i really appriciate ur insight and information...very informative....is there a place i can go to get more info related to the work of the evo such as this??
Probably the best place is this thread:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=175195
Old Apr 15, 2008, 03:32 PM

very good find...very helpful!
Old Apr 15, 2008, 07:37 PM
Account Disabled

+1 for that....that's what i heard...to...