Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Whining noise

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2008, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whining noise

my car makes a whining sound when i accelerate and decelerate. While i accel. it gets louder. Im not sure what it is but im sure its not good.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

transfercase/clutch, most likely transfercase
Old Apr 28, 2008, 09:23 AM

well if its either of the two i hope its the T case haha
Old Apr 28, 2008, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

transfer cases are expensive!!
Old Apr 28, 2008, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

mine whines only in 1st gear when i downshift into it coming to a stop, or when i just start to accel from 1st... i was told its probably no big deal, and i have been driving like this for 3 years... no issues yet
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

Evos are known for making accel and decel noise. Mine only has 2,500 miles on it and its been doing it ever since I bought it new 4 months ago. From what I've heard its normal and not really anything to worry about.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
soooo does it sound like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4xvs...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t0juH8_Hew
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
Mine sounds like the top link but only in first gear. Other than that its pretty quiet it only has 15k on it too. Does anyone elses sound like that in first?
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bora
Mine sounds like the top link but only in first gear. Other than that its pretty quiet it only has 15k on it too. Does anyone elses sound like that in first?
yeah mine does in 1st too thats normal at 50mph its not :P
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

Yea thats what I figured...
Old Apr 29, 2008, 01:11 PM

i dont think that sound is normal, lol. On this site somewhere is a message, in picture form, of something mitsu sent out about what noises are expected. That whine in first or even 5th/6th isnt something that should be happening. I would have to pay that most people here arent experiencing that noise, and i havent heard it since i bought mine... i think you should either take it in, or hope someone reads this that can tell you whats wrong, lol.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 03:11 AM

My initial thoughts would be T/C. I had my T/C go on me twice; the first time I took it in for a whine and they said it was a loose airbox (Yeah BS) they said we fixed it and sent me on my way. I pull on and about a min later there it is again. So I head to Louisville Mitzu to have it looked at and it gets worse and just completely craps out and studders to a stop. I get it towed to Mitzu (at their expense) and they are like oh yeah that would be your T/C. I had it fixed it took about three days in all. I get it back and head down to the beach, I get to Mobile and BAM there it is again. Now I was really upset and took it into Mitzu there and they took a look at it and tell me that the install was not done right, that they left out an O'ring and it would have to be replaced again.

So I would say to go and have it looked at, the T/C is nothing to play with. Yor Evo should have no whine.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 09:24 AM

well i hope its the t case cuz i bought it at carmax and they cover t cases so i can get it fixed for 75 bucks!
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

I think we are confusing gear whine with transfer case noise. Gear whine is produced by what is in industry called "transmission error". This transmission error are the subtle idiosyncrasies in the gear tooth profile at the time of manufacture. As the teeth mesh they place loads on the teeth they come into contact with and if a couple of teeth are off by so much as 0.0001 inches then the gears themselves will start to oscillate. This oscillation is transfered to through the gears to the shaft, to the bearings, and ultimately to the casing where you hear it as noise.

Now manufacturers spend money designing gear tooth profiles which minimize this noise but its only effective at a set designed load and speed. If you suddenly go way outside of that design profile like putting a reversed load on the back side of the tooth such as in deceleration then the profile is no longer as effective. The perfect example of a gear with pretty much no effort in keeping it quiet is reverse. Just go over 5 mph and you'll hear what i mean.

The transfer case in our cars make essentially the same type of noise as gear whine but its root cause is different. The cause of noise in the T-Case is simply fractures or chips typically in the ring gear which provide the "transmission error" producing gear whine.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:07 AM

Reading his first post, it doesn't sound anything like that! It sounds alot more like metal shards in the T/C

Is your whine always there and then it gets worse when you accelerate and then gets quiter when you let off the throttle? Bottom line you should just contact and atleast have it looked at, I would hate for your T/C to lock up!