Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

stock OEM IX exhaust ?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2008, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock OEM IX exhaust ?

is the stock exhaust on the 2006 IX MR 2" or 2.5" ??

also, will having a 3" downpipe, test pipe and midpipe, which go into a OEM muffler have a significant bad effect on the tune or daily driving?
i suppose by the time the exhaust gases pass freely through the whole aftermarket exhaust and get to the smaller stock muffler, its no big deal, or is it ?
Old May 9, 2008, 08:56 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=335027

If you want to stay stock, I would recommend the 'revised' WORKS muffler. Other than that, go full three inch all the way and dont cheap out by sticking to the stock muffler.
Old May 9, 2008, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

but i need to know, is the stock exhaust on the 2006 IX MR, 2" or 2.5" ??
Old May 9, 2008, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

its 2.5....I think all stock evos are......prpbably at some point it does hit 2 in but not much....why you ask?

I would have to say going from larger diameter to smaller muffler would be like driving over a speed bump at a high rate of speed, its going to affect the flowage...I wouldnt reccomend it, prolly wont hurt the car bad, but will affect the performance some......Think of it this way...two fat men running full speed towards a door way both neck and neck and then BOOM the both try to squeeze in....what do you think the outcome will be?

Last edited by SpeedJunkyz; May 9, 2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old May 10, 2008, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

Yes the exhaust is 2.5 all the way to the muffler and then its like a 3.5 or 4 inch outlet. I have heard the stock exhaust is good to 400 HP. But if you're going to change the downpipe and the rest of the piping before the muffler you may as well just get the full system. There are certainly a few good exhaust systems out there that are not loud and obnoxious.
Old May 10, 2008, 12:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by S6devil
is the stock exhaust on the 2006 IX MR 2" or 2.5" ??

also, will having a 3" downpipe, test pipe and midpipe, which go into a OEM muffler have a significant bad effect on the tune or daily driving?
i suppose by the time the exhaust gases pass freely through the whole aftermarket exhaust and get to the smaller stock muffler, its no big deal, or is it ?
Why would you want to keep the the stock muffler if your doing all that? If your not doing it all at once, you should build your exhaust from the back to front not front to back.
Old May 10, 2008, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

i have a full 3" exhaust now, but its LOUD! i figured if im gonna sacrifice any part of the whole exhaust, the part thats of least significance is the muffler. i dont mind if i lose 3-4hp, as long as the car is gonna be easier to live with every day
Old May 11, 2008, 12:32 AM
Evolving Member

What are you running now? You might try adding a resonator or two like the RRE stealth setup. Not too loud at all compared to stock while still being a high flow 3" system.
Old May 11, 2008, 05:33 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i have a full 3" exhaust now, but its LOUD! i figured if im gonna sacrifice any part of the whole exhaust, the part thats of least significance is the muffler. i dont mind if i lose 3-4hp, as long as the car is gonna be easier to live with every day
You'll lose more than 3-4HP, as the stock muffler is arguably the most restrictive part of the exhaust. You may want to consider this option:

http://www.worksevo.com/store/produc...products_id=79

A cat would make the exhaust more quiet, as well.
Old May 11, 2008, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Skywarp
What are you running now? You might try adding a resonator or two like the RRE stealth setup. Not too loud at all compared to stock while still being a high flow 3" system.

ATLEAST GUT THE MUFFLER lol you will be a happy man knowing your car is running right.......PMed
Old May 11, 2008, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Skywarp

i have a full TurboXS 3" exhaust with Megan resonated testpipe, and another resonator in the midpipe. and its still INSANELY LOUD! i cant hear the radio playing. so after months and months of deciding and figuring out what to do, i have decided to keep the 3" downpipe and testpipe, and put back the stock OEM muffler. there is no other way to make it easy to live with every single day
Old May 16, 2008, 11:50 AM

Exaust

The AMS turboback isn't too loud, and wow the power. Get the flash and the high flow cat, its sooo worth it!