Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo as a Daily driver

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't had any issues with my Evo and I have been DD'ing it for a year now. As long as you stick to your regular maintenance, you should be alright. Since you aren't going to be modding it a whole bunch or driving it hard, I don't forsee you having any problems with an Evo. 20+ mpg gallon shouldn't be too hard to do either as long as you stay out of boost.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Renesis83
As long as it gets 20mpg or more in the city I happy considering I would drive in a conservative manner.

You said the upkeep is expensive as you add miles on the car. Are there any specific problematic areas that I should be concerned off before looking a used one.
the only thing i can think of would be stay away from the 03 if possible due to the syncro and sleeve problems on the trans, if they have been replaced and what not, you should be fine but they can go out again, happened to me, so i just bought a fully built trans from shepard
Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

WHY are you guys scaring him saying gas will suck!?!?!!? that makes no sense evos get very good gas mileage compared to his c5 z06 or any other performance car... and plus if its going to be stock you will get no less than 22 mpg, so please everyone that have been saying gas will suck what are you talking about?? remember we have 4cylinders not 8 or even 6....
Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Renesis83
As long as it gets 20mpg or more in the city I happy considering I would drive in a conservative manner.
Evo's were rated around ~18/19mpg City depending on the model/year/transmission
Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LeosEvo
WHY are you guys scaring him saying gas will suck!?!?!!? that makes no sense evos get very good gas mileage compared to his c5 z06 or any other performance car... and plus if its going to be stock you will get no less than 22 mpg, so please everyone that have been saying gas will suck what are you talking about?? remember we have 4cylinders not 8 or even 6....
I don't have a Z06, but my old Corvette sucked gas around town (15mpg) but would put up high 20's on the highway.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:59 AM

The Z06 has long tubes and a mild cam and I dont want to daily drive that thing, plus I need a 4 door and some trunk space - I have always liked evos and I drove a few STis but I keep getting back the EVo , just a personal preference.
City I am getting 9-11 mpg right now so 20 + would a good improvement, altough I get 28 on the highway

Also I have been looking at a few 2003 and 2004 evos with 50 k miles and in that range. Any specific things I should look for. I know about the LSx motors but have no idea about evo engines but it seems fairly relaible that a lot of people have quite a bit miles on their cars and they are holding up pretty good.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
My only car was my 2003 EVO 8 and I had it since May 2003. No problems (other than the recalls - minor issues) whatsoever, up until the day I sold him. I miss that car.....the X just isn't the same. Both are fantastic cars though.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

260-300 a tank DD
Old Jun 6, 2008, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

I DD mine since I got it new with no mods 2 years and 30k miles ago. It's not the lap of luxury but it is quick and fun and true all weather. For the winter I just put on my winter wheels and Blizzaks and the car becomes an unstoppable tank.

I currently get consistant 21 to 23 MPG of highway commuting 40 miles a day.

Just regular maintenance. OEM fluids and I do most of the work myself.

I do autocross when I have free time, I've never dragged it and don't intend to. I do track events but not with the EVO, I have a fully prepped Integra Type R designated for that abuse

I just dropped in a pipercross HF filter and added Works TBE with RTP and am upping the boost and dyno tuning this coming Monday with Sean Ivey. I can't imagine that I won't enjoy a bit more power. The power to cost ratio with this thing is insane. Set up properly and tuned properly and conservatively I expect no issues
Old Jun 6, 2008, 11:24 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you get one, get an IX with low miles. Don't get an VIII or a X
Old Jun 6, 2008, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

I would get a 8, much easier to work on. Dont have to deal with the mivec stuff.
Are there any 9s in the 500 or 600hp range??
Old Jun 6, 2008, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by compscibOi
If you get one, get an IX with low miles. Don't get an VIII or a X
Why do you say that , IX would be out of my price range . I have seen Evo8s from 17-22k range , while he IX is around 27k and up
Old Jun 6, 2008, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The VIII will do you fine.

The IX is just a little better.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

when i dont use the turbo i average 320 to a tank mostly city driving... Use the turbo u hope for that 200 mark....
Old Jun 6, 2008, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW you guys must have leaner fuel mixtures then me or something.
I've used my ix as a daily driver, in suburbs of Philadelphia for the last year. I keep track of every tank, my worst has been 15.8 mpg, and my best was 19 mpg. My best tank I drove every mile with my wife and infant in the car, so I really babied it.
The fuel consumption isn't great, but it beats the 11 mpg my wife averages in her AWD trailblazer SS with the LS2 Corvette engine.
If I cared about saving money on gas I'd buy a Toyota yaris, and save $20k I spent in order to own a performance sedan.

Quick Reply: Evo as a Daily driver