Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo as a Daily driver

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2008, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo as a Daily driver

Hi guys,
new member here, I am currently looking to buy an EVO 8 as a daily driver. I am going through this forum and doing my research so far. My C5 Z06 has turned into a weekend warrior and I wanted an AWD for daily driving and when the snow starts.
Just wanted your opinions on the daily drivability of the car. Its is going to be mostly stock or I would try to keep it that way. Anything I should look for in the car when inspecting one. Reliability is the main concern here.
thanks all
Old Jun 6, 2008, 08:44 AM

I am also thinking of switching to an Evo as my main car, probably my only car, but I don't know how smart it would be to get an Evo as a daily driver because its pretty expensive with the gas prices to manage two high performance cars like that. If you wanna get an AWD daily driver that has a bit of speed, just get a Impreza WRX or something a bit slower than an Evo but still considered a performance car. That's just my .02 $
Old Jun 6, 2008, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

since u have a zo6 (which is awesome) i think an evo would be a good daily driver but gas is what is going to suck
Old Jun 6, 2008, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by evouser12
since u have a zo6 (which is awesome) i think an evo would be a good daily driver but gas is what is going to suck
yea I am good in the power department @ 437 rwhp
and thats why I wouldnt mod the Evo that much

how bad is the gas on the EVO , I wanted an AWD because the RWD is hard to use in the snow and I have done it in the past but I just think its better to get an AWD and be done with it .
Old Jun 6, 2008, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

I daily drove my Evo for about 1.5 years. Zero mechanical issues or anything. It was very fun in fact! Upkeep is just expensive for a car to throw miles on.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

depends how far u drive daily, I drive my 05 daily but i've been lucky to work within 10 miles from where I live. So as is right now at a bit over 340whp I get 210miles out of the tank and i drive 100% street, stop and go lol. When my car was stock the best i got was 240 out of the tank, adding more fun to it i lost 30 oh wells lol.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

The evo is a great daily driver. It feels like a truck in the snow (depending what tires you have, i have all seasons) I think the more you drive it you will make it your weekend warrior.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the mods in my signature, and my tune, I've been getting almost 300 miles on a full tank. It all depends on how you drive. 3k rpm shifts, have fun every once in a while, and you got yourself a beastly DD that still gets decent gas mileage.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive DD'd my 9 for almost a year now. I have some stuff done to it including a tune and if i stay out of boost, or drive it sensibly, ive gotten as high as 22mpg and thats a combination of 75% city and 25% highway. The only complaint i have is that sometimes when driving to work in the morning, i wish the exhaust was quiet...
Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Gas isn't that bad with an evo. Better than SUV or a Truck MPG wise. With the right tires they are beasts in the snow.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Renesis83
yea I am good in the power department @ 437 rwhp
and thats why I wouldnt mod the Evo that much

how bad is the gas on the EVO , I wanted an AWD because the RWD is hard to use in the snow and I have done it in the past but I just think its better to get an AWD and be done with it .
It's probably a little better than the ZO6. There's also quite a bit more room than the Z, which is always a + for a DD.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

I don't mind driving my EVO to and from work, but I also have a beater for those bad weather days.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:31 AM

i have an IX and its my DD.. not the most luxurious cars for the money.. but i have a grin every time i get in her
Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:33 AM

As long as it gets 20mpg or more in the city I happy considering I would drive in a conservative manner.

You said the upkeep is expensive as you add miles on the car. Are there any specific problematic areas that I should be concerned off before looking a used one.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

I've been daily driving mine since it was new in 2004. Commute 60+ miles each day highway and city. I have no problems with it as a commuter. Usually get about 23 mpg.

Quick Reply: Evo as a Daily driver