Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Purchase Question: Evo8 or Evo9

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2008, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purchase Question: Evo8 or Evo9

I know you see the header a lot Evo8 vs Evo9 but that is not what this thread is about.

I am fully aware of the fact that the Evo 9 is a far better car than the 8. I know the differences and the substancial stock gains from the 9.

The question of this thread actually pertains to what I should do in my current situation. I will break it down:

1. I live in NJ
2. I want a Black Evo.
3. I've been looking at Evos for a long while and I have currently found 2 Black Evos in NJ the first is a Dealer a few miles up the road but it is bone stock and they are trying to rip someone off by putting it at 28,000 (avg dealer price max is 22,000 here) the other is a kid down in South Jersey who owns one selling it at a very reasonable 19,500 with a minor fix needed.

The question comes in because both of these Evos are Evo8's and I've been asking myself should I make the play for them or "wait" for a good Evo9 to come up on the market....?

My current daily driver is a Acura TL fully equipped which I would be trading it if I go to the dealer, and or selling privately if i make a deal with the kid. So money is not really an issue here either way my TL will nearly payoff a used Evo8 and make me put a slight loan down on a Evo9.

What do you all think? Make a play for the Evo8s? Or wait till a good Evo9 hits the used market....

(Sorry for the length)
Old Jun 9, 2008, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

wait for evo 9. You won't regret owning the car most consider the peak of lancer evolutions.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by TheBlueBlur
wait for evo 9. You won't regret owning the car most consider the peak of lancer evolutions.
I wouldnt say the peak maybe for the US.

Evo 6.5
Evo 6
Evo 9

would likely be the correct order if you are talking international. As for the US yes the Evo 9 MR is the clear peak of the Evos we've gotten to see.

Also thank you. I am having trouble making this decision.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Agreed. I wish I would have found a 9. Trust me, wait for the 9.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by boostinjuice
Agreed. I wish I would have found a 9. Trust me, wait for the 9.
My worry is how many "BLACK" Evo 9's are going to hit the market anytime soon in my region that haven't been horrifically destroyed then rebuilt?

The other slight situation is I want a mostly stock Evo. I want to go through the stages myself as a hobby/project car. As I have free weekends and doing nothing with them atm.

I love my black on black TL and would never give up the color so thus my preference for Black on Black.

Sorry for counterpointing just giving you an insight into the plague going on in my head.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 12:07 PM

I'm in the same boat. I've decided to wait until I find the perfect used 9 for me.

One tip. I know you said you want black, but with used cars sometimes you can't be to selective about the color. If you open yourself up to a few different color choices, you will find what you are looking for much faster.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 12:17 PM

With the economy doing like it is, you might see more than you think. Be patient, I shopped for my ix mr for 4 months.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by estorilcoupe
With the economy doing like it is, you might see more than you think. Be patient, I shopped for my ix mr for 4 months.
I'm going on 9 months :P but yeah i see your point gas here will hit 5 bucks by july. Its becoming harder and harder to afford insurance on anything sporty.

I won't drive a non-black car. Its just something I have been in love with since I got my TL

and yeah a IX MR would be my overall #1 preference.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

I'd wait for a better deal on a IX. Is the Evo X not an option?
Old Jun 9, 2008, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just keep your eyes and ears open. The right car will show up. Worst thing is to settle for less then see your perfect car up for sale. Seems like that always happens.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
To call a IX a way better car is just silly in my mind. To call it fact is just nonsense.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Well, do you know what you want to do with the car? If you are just going to drive the car then wait for a IX. But if your planning to go big and take out some cars on the road then get an VIII and slap a turbo kit on that bish! The IX is only better if your not going to do much to the car.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by EvoHung
Well, do you know what you want to do with the car? If you are just going to drive the car then wait for a IX. But if your planning to go big and take out some cars on the road then get an VIII and slap a turbo kit on that bish! The IX is only better if your not going to do much to the car.
If were talking about perfect occurances then I want a Evo9 MR bone stock and I want to at my leasure start modding it through the stages. It'll be a side project car for me. Over time yes it will become something I will want more for the track not as a daily driver but for the time being serving as both.

The major plus's is the front spoiler with the corrected openings and the MIVEC system along with a nicer interior is just a plus over the 8 not to mention the bigger stock turbo so i can focus on smaller mods prior to giving it the big overhaul down the line.

But I get the feeling finding one will not come easy as I expect a IX MR to one have been modded by its previous owner, Wrecked/rebuilt, or driven extremely hard on the stock turbo which will need replacing soon thereafter are my big fears.

Currently I keep track of all Mitsubishi dealers in the tristate and NY within 150 miles...I check Craigs List for every major city in NY, NJ, Delaware, and PA.

So far no luck. Just bumming around in for the time being:

Last edited by Crucifer; Jun 9, 2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grillpt
To call a IX a way better car is just silly in my mind. To call it fact is just nonsense.
+1 that is totally ridiculous to say that.

yes, the IX responds even better to mods than a VIII does. but if you're planning on getting involved in the full evo experience (i.e. working on it... a lot) then it makes no difference.

anyone will tell you it's IX (mivec + better turbo) > '05 VIII (10.5 hotside) > '04/'03

and for the record, i wanted black/black too and searched for 5 months before finding my black '05 w/ delicious black leather interior. i'm perfectly happy.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've seen a couple IX Mr's with very low mileage (under 10k) and bone stock for sale in the past couple months. If i were you i'd expand my searching area as well. I live in NJ and I ended up picking up the car in Ohio and driving back.

Quick Reply: Purchase Question: Evo8 or Evo9