Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Is buying a 2003 EVO a bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2008, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is buying a 2003 EVO a bad idea?

I would like to pay for my next car in cash but another option is to put $15,000 down on a $20,000 car. I am wondering if buying a 2003 EVO is a bad idea. $20,000 is my CAP. Not a dime more because I am not counting tax/title bla bla. I guess with my funds I would be able to get a 2003 EVO with or without mods, whatever was available with say 30-50,000 miles on it for what I am looking to spend. Is this money wisely spent or should I not even bother with the car because my cap is too low and I should expect problems. If this is the case I am just going to seek an alternative, I do not want to grow to hate a car because I did not have a large enough budget to get a good one. Some buy cars they really can't afford and settle for higher mileage ones or ones that will probably cause problems JUST for the sake of having one. I do not want to get into that mess if buying a 2003 EVO on a $20,000 max cap budget is going to be that scenario. Any input?
Old Jun 10, 2008, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An Evos an Evo, I doubt youll be disappointed. I mean you dont have the frotn LSD and ACD plus a few other things but its still an Evo lol.

If the cars in good mechanical condition there shouldnt be a reason youd regret the purchase.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^exactly what he said
Old Jun 10, 2008, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

If you dont want to spend more than 20,000 then just look for the right deal. Like I found my 03 TB Evo with 36k miles for only 16,000.... i mean sure i found one hell of a deal, but you can too.
As for the mileage on the evo, as long as it has been well taken care of it can last forever regardless of mileage. Just keep looking and dont be scared off by an 03 with a more than 30k miles on it.
Good luck...
Old Jun 10, 2008, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Like everyone said, if it has been well taken care of, the milage isnt that big of a deal. But if you are interested, feel free to PM me...mine may be up for sale this week officially, once I hear if I am getting this other car.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

you have pm
Old Jun 10, 2008, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

I bought a 2003 Evo with 61k. No major problems to date. The history is clean and most services have been done. The car was also in great shape. Some mods and "de-moification", but I have over 70k on the car now and it's still solid and very strong.

The biggest problem I had was a p0300 code after a timing belt change. And yes, the 2003 you won't get a front LSD or an ACD center diff, but, ehh. It's still an Evo and the average joe won't notice a difference. I personaly would like a front LSD, but I can live without ACD.

Just be sure to REALLY check it out. Drive it and beware of T-case whine at highway speeds, and grinding gears. Those are probably the two biggest isses I can think of that you'd notice from just a test drive. I was lucky and picked a, yes, high mileage Evo, yet a well taken care of Evo. I have no regrets

I would just check and/or change all the fluids, mainly the Engine and Drivetrain fluids.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

It's either going to be a $20,000 EVO ($15,000 ish down and the rest financed) an 01-03 s2000 with 40-60,000 on it well maintained and for $15-16,000 (paid with cash) a nice low mileage well taken care of clean LS1 SS/WS6 (paid with cash)

Those are the best choices for below $20,000 but I want the EVO... even if extra cost went in to maintaining the car and even if I never exceeded minor bolt ons and cosmetics it is the car I want. I just hear so much from people as if once it hits 50,000 they no longer have interest in them and avoid them like the plauge. I don't want this car if it's going to be a PITA. I want to be able to enjoy it and I do not plan on cutting corners on things.

What I am afraid of is that is, like buying a Supra if you do not have enough to spend on the right car, it will cause you problems and be a hassle and you will not enjoy it ($23,000 is not enough but $30,000 can get you a good one kind of scenario)

I hope the EVO is not that car...

I don't see how people can buy a 2003 with 20,000 miles on it... and drive it until 100,000 and it's ok. I hear good things.

but buying one with 50-60,000 used is a HOLY CRAP WHAT ARE YOU THINKING WHY DON'T you start having sex with used condoms kind of risk.

Can $20,000 get me a nice 2003 or 2004? with decent mileage?
Old Jun 10, 2008, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
most go for 17 - 19k now... with much needed mods ie clutch, intercooler, ic piping. just search man.... would be pretty sweet to drop 15k on a car do it you wont regret it
Old Jun 10, 2008, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
$20k can get you a very nice Evo or S2k! Worry less about mileage and more about overall condition and maintenance records. Miles are nothing more than a number and not worth anything unless you know how well the car was cared for during those miles. I've seen 100k mile cars in better shape than 5k mile cars; it all depends on who owned it! If you buy one with 50k+ miles make sure the timing belt has already been done or work it into the final selling price.

I owned a S2000 before my Evo and both are truly great cars, just in different regards. If I lived in a warmer climate I would still own the S2k instead of the Evo, but the Evo is just too great in the winter snow! On a perfect day, the S2k was more fun to drive, but the Evo is more practical and better in less than ideal conditions. The Evo does cost a lot more to maintain though and expect to make more general repairs to it.

FYI: I sold my modded '02 S2k with 47k miles on it for $19,500 last November.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

All cars are bad investments. If want to play you have to pay.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by dgoodhue
All cars are bad investments. If want to play you have to pay.
I agree

You should be able to find a decent 03-05 EVO , look for the right one and dont jump on one untill you are abosolutly positve. Reasearch done before the buy is worth a lot more than fixing things later. Find the car that you like and dont worry about the extra 1 or 2k in price differences.

here is an example.My two freinds recenlty bought cars. One went with his impulse and bought an E46 2003 M3 and the other took 6 months and found a 580 rwhp Kenee Bell Cobra. Both for about the same price. both cars run great and none of them have problems but the one who bought the cobra is satisfied with his buy and the one with M3 is constantly looking at other cars and saying oh I should have bought that and its faster and so on.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had an 03 EVO 8 brought to me from a member here on the forum. Great buy at under $20K and had some mild (but solid) hop-ups. Big power maker.

He asked me to go over it and make sure it was all "fine".

At 60,000 miles I automatically recommended a Timing Belt but that wasn't the big shocker...

I put the car up on the lift and drained the Fluids. Oil looked fine but the Tranny fluid came out SILVER GRAY. Not a good sign. When I drained the Transfer Case, a nice big chunk of the Ring Gear came out with it. NOT a good thing at all.

So, as most of you know, the Ring Gear is the one bit in the TCase not easily replaced for anything LESS than $1200 bucks, so there's the starting point....

Diff is done too, more $$$, Tranny is being rebuilt too, more $$$ plus the starter is going and the flywheel has been chewed some by it not totally disengaging, more $$$. And I found that the clutch was paper thin and needs replaced NOW or it will start eating the flywheel, more$$$.

All this caused by hard launches and the occasional reckless street drags and showing off. Spendy habit.

Now I've cut my labor almost completely out of it to help with costs and Lucas English is rebuilding the Trans & TCase... so he's getting GREAT stuff at a fair price... but...

That "great deal" for under $20K, just went over $20K.

The thing is, the car "looked" well maintained and well cared for.

So buyer beware and understand, ALL high performance cars are a money pit. You want cash free driving? Buy a Camry

I'm not saying "don't" buy an EVO, just be aware of the liabilities.

Best of Luck,

RallyDSM<
Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:33 AM

I've had my 03 for less then a week. Got it for $23k with 41k miles and its bone stock and I'm having a blast. Waaay more fun to drive this then the mustang I had. I couldn't be happier right now.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree as well..i bought my 2003 last year with 27,000 miles on it ,and it is the most fun car i have ever had.....i would definitely say go with the evo

Quick Reply: Is buying a 2003 EVO a bad idea?