Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Buying a repo/auction IX MR - Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2008, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a repo/auction IX MR - Questions

Hi,

I found a low mileage (7K) GG IX MR that some "broker" bought at an auction. As I've never bought a car like this before, is there anything that I need to be cautious of? Here're are some key points for consideration:

1) I'm in Seattle, the car is in Los Angeles so I can't see it easily
2) The car is supposedly all stock and was purchased in Pennsylvania and driven to California where it was repo'd
3) Car has a clean title (not salvaged)
4) Asking price is $25,500 (is this a good deal?)

I've asked the seller for detailed shots of the car and also the VIN so that I can call Mitsu to see what warranty work has been done to it and will run a CarFax as well. Waiting for his response.

What specific questions should I ask the seller? Anything specific to the IX MRs that I should know about. I read the newbie section on things to check on but since I don't have physical access to the car, I'm trying to cover all my bases before I spend $250 on a flight down to LA.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

seems like a good deal, im about 30 min from los angeles and you can find on over here with less than 15k miles for under 29k, and theres only like 2 with less than 15k miles but there like 32 to 35k
Old Jun 12, 2008, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by landis507
seems like a good deal, im about 30 min from los angeles and you can find on over here with less than 15k miles for under 29k, and theres only like 2 with less than 15k miles but there like 32 to 35k
Do you have links to these cars you're referring to?

I'm basically looking for a stock (never modded), low mileage (>10K) IX MR to use as my DD.

Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2008, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

All I have to say is drive it first and scope everything out, I know its hard since you are not there. I bought similar deal but mine was a 2003. Needless to say I knew what I was buying, I bought it to restore, but Its was repoed like yours, and I think the guy who got it repoed knew it was going to be repoed so he beat the **** out of it. One last Whoraw! before they toke it back I guess HAHA. I bought mine for dirt cheap for several reasons:

It was repoed
It was beaten
And the dealer selling it only delt with Mercedes, Bimmers, and HUmmer all done up with rims, stereos, and full interior redones. It was a dealer who sold repoed cars. All they wanted was for this car to be off their lot. Lucky me. Anyways I am still redoing mine, almost got it done. Slowly but surely right!
Old Jun 12, 2008, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkyz
All I have to say is drive it first and scope everything out, I know its hard since you are not there. I bought similar deal but mine was a 2003. Needless to say I knew what I was buying, I bought it to restore, but Its was repoed like yours, and I think the guy who got it repoed knew it was going to be repoed so he beat the **** out of it. One last Whoraw! before they toke it back I guess HAHA. I bought mine for dirt cheap for several reasons:

It was repoed
It was beaten
And the dealer selling it only delt with Mercedes, Bimmers, and HUmmer all done up with rims, stereos, and full interior redones. It was a dealer who sold repoed cars. All they wanted was for this car to be off their lot. Lucky me. Anyways I am still redoing mine, almost got it done. Slowly but surely right!
That's exactly what I'm afraid of. I just checked the VIN with Mitsubishi and the car was in for 4 things. The first was for stuttering and black smoke which they fixed by tightening the air intake box and funnel (the clamps were loose). The other 3 were around un-even tire wear and alignment. The last time it went in for warranty work was in May of 2006. 2 years ago!

Well, the seller said that 2 different potential buyers are coming to see the car today so it may be gone by the time I even get to see it.

If you don't mind me asking, what was wrong with your car when you got it? Was the engine blown or the tranny all shot?

Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2008, 04:58 PM

I would not trust the car for that price. Whoever the seller is selling the car way below market value. Im a car dealer myself and Im telling for a fact that a evo ix mr with 7k miles will sell for at least 30k at the auction
Old Jun 12, 2008, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JamassiMR
I would not trust the car for that price. Whoever the seller is selling the car way below market value. Im a car dealer myself and Im telling for a fact that a evo ix mr with 7k miles will sell for at least 30k at the auction
+1 look for other options
Old Jun 12, 2008, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 93HardTopTurbo
That's exactly what I'm afraid of. I just checked the VIN with Mitsubishi and the car was in for 4 things. The first was for stuttering and black smoke which they fixed by tightening the air intake box and funnel (the clamps were loose). The other 3 were around un-even tire wear and alignment. The last time it went in for warranty work was in May of 2006. 2 years ago!

Well, the seller said that 2 different potential buyers are coming to see the car today so it may be gone by the time I even get to see it.

If you don't mind me asking, what was wrong with your car when you got it? Was the engine blown or the tranny all shot?

Thanks!
Blown clutch, massive boost leaks(mostly behind the Intake mani), things just not tightened down right. A loto f DIY fixes under the hood, tires shots, plugs shot, filters shot. yada yada yada. SHe is running now, but I need a tune and then another full fluid change.

SJ
Old Jun 13, 2008, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 93HardTopTurbo
Do you have links to these cars you're referring to?

I'm basically looking for a stock (never modded), low mileage (>10K) IX MR to use as my DD.

Thanks!
let me get them, but there like 30k

i believe this is a silver ix mr se(cause of the color of the wheels)

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ce=&cardist=33

this one is a graphite grey mr

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ce=&cardist=32

Thats the only MRs or MR SEs that i could find at dealers, or un modified. just copy and paste, and if you want me to get more, let me no
Old Jun 13, 2008, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

there is or used to be an EVO VIII MR with diff wheels, and a CF hood, but NOTHER what so ever done for performance, i took it for a drive and it seemed faster then my ix gsr, but i dont have a link for that, cause its at a used car dealer, but if you come out here, then ill make sure its there before i try sending you over that way, the dealer is like 20 min from my house over by frist ford and riverside mitsu(so over in riverside) so yeah if you come out to LA then tell me where your going to be and ill give you directions to get there if they have it still.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 06:40 AM

its sounds like a good deal
Auction cars , doesnt mean they are problems with them , My uncle goes to various auction and he picks high end cars like E 55 AMGs, S class MB , 7 series for much less than book.
for an auction its still a high price. He said there was an 2003 EVO with 65k miles in auction go for $12k.
go there and check it out
Old Jun 13, 2008, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

what if the repoed evo ex owner is on here?!!
Old Jun 13, 2008, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

It doesn't matter if it seems stock or not. People put their evo back to stock before they sell all the time. Just be careful is all. Also Carfax don't mean **** when it comes to evos. Most of the time its something petty like fender bender and it pointless to put it on your insurance. I forgot to mention above when you ask whats wrong with my car. But it clearly was in an accident. The read bumper was resprayed crappy with no clear coat around the tag area, also very rough paint, the front bumper's vin sticker had masking tape covering it....red paint on it, so before I pulled that off, it didn't look like it had a VIn number on it. If you were to look under the car you can tell the guy/gal ran off the road, couple smushed spots on the chassis, and to big to be jacking spots. Last but not least one of the rims in the rear was so bent, I had an old lady tell me my wheel is falling off lol. Needless to say it sounds like I bought a POS, but for the price I got it for I actually lucked out.

SJ
Old Jun 14, 2008, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

Evo's can Handle quite a beating, and at 7k i dont think this evo is ANYWHERE Near its life range. EVEN if he was red-linrin every gear and dropping the clutch at every stop-light, This Car was ment to be raced and with the good deal you get it on, you take the extra money and replace the things that may have suffered alot, Brake rotors, pads, pistons, connecting rods, and all the other **** you feel, and most importantly a mech feels needs to be replaced. I say go for it, ALL THE WAY.