Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

8 vs 9 body differences

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2008, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^^that's why everyone says bolt-on's(exhuast, mbc, intake) on a ix are better because mivec will add some extra ponies. but when you go more extensive into modding such as cams, turbo uprage and such, the performance is pretty much equal
Old Jun 16, 2008, 09:58 PM

Oh ok, i think i got it. So the nines are better with bolt ons, and cams and whatnot? But when it comes to non bolt on stuff they preform pretty much the same?
Old Jun 16, 2008, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Old Jun 16, 2008, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

if you like the evo 8 looks better but want the better turbo and better gear ratio trans and the acd go with the 05 evo
Old Jun 16, 2008, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lancerguy'03
No need to be an *** ****, that's why this is the newbie forums haha.

I just wanna make sure that when i buy an evo i'm not making a wrong decision if im dropping 20-25k on one. I just wonder why people say the 8's are better for racing, if my understanding is that they both perform equally the same with the same non bolt on mods on?

I'm thinking about a 9 because of the mivec and stuff but if that will mean worse performance with the same non bolt on mods than an 8 then i might see about an 8.

So i guess really if i bought the same exhaust, same intake, same cams and same turbo upgrade on a 9 and an 8 would they both be equal basically or does the mivec mess with the tuning so that the 8 without mivec would react better to mods besides bolt ons?

Last edited by Mach Eight; Jun 16, 2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:24 PM
Evolving Member

I have a 9 MR but still a 9 none the less

So I love both cars of course but I will be honest that the 9 does perform better even with few or more mods. The Mivec. is great and add to performance. I have a 9MR and its very nice, I believe that an evo 9(stock) power wise is like an evo 8 with exhaust and intake. Add those things to an evo 9 and you are doing even better than the 8 with more mods. My stock evo 9 would take a tuned and dynoed 305WHP STI, The turbo on it is better also different wheel, larger 10.5 hot side, different waist gate actuator that works better, BOV is way better, made from metal not plastic. OHH the most important part also is that the seats in the 9 are 100% better and that alone will make you get one, and thats no joke. they are so much better. write me if you have some questions. KEVIN
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

The 9 is better if you want to do light mods such as bolt-ons and cams because of the MIVEC making it respond to those mods better. However, the reason people are telling you that the 8 is better for major upgrades is because if you do turbo upgrade, stroker kits, and whatnot. The 9 and 8 will end up the basically same.(performance wise) So its better to start off cheap with the 8.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well the interior is really only one look away if you go to the for sale section for parts you will see the seats steering wheels and everything else being traded for aftermarket stuff but its this simple the 9 responds to any mods more the the 8 will pretty much with bolt ons intake exhaust cams and such the 9 is making about 30 more whp but do you really need to spend the extra on the better stock turbo when you plan on getting a 35r later ? thats y some people say get the 8 to start off with save you money in the long run good luck
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buying an 8 or a 9 is really a decision you'll have to ask yourself and you need to base it on the direction you want to car to take.

It all comes down to how much money do you have and do you value most cosmetics, performance or both equally as much.

The Evo IX's give good power for one reason only, they have a slightly upgraded turbo and they have Mivec to help them in the middle RPM range.

The con is ofcourse that they IX's are more expensive from the start and the money you could save buying a used 2005 Evo 8 could easily get you more power for your money. So If this is your situation the 2005 Evo 8 would win.

Cosmetically the Evo 9 does have nice seats, however we tend to think things that are different are better and a nice leather package from and 05 Evo 8 is just as nice as the leather seats standard in the 9, so that's a matter of opinion. Some people like the Evo 8 Bumper as Opposed to the Evo 9 Bumper. I personally think people don't like the top part of the Evo 8 Bumper because of the Mitsubishi insignia reminds them too much of a pontiac, while some people don't like the Evo 9 bumper because although it removes the center Triangle it gives them 2 holes at the bottom that doesn't look as nice as the Evo 8 Bottom. I myself had this dilemma so I gave myself both as shown below in the pic. Then again it probably looks better because as I said before, people like it when things are just different.

Back on topic - If you want the Carbon Fiber dash, and leather-red stitched seats, and you don't mind paying a premium for a more expensive car with these options since they are more important to you then get the Evo 9.

If you want a bargain, and want more power and plan on modding it more heavily in the future then the Evo 8 would be your car.

I know many of you will say you can make as much power on the 9 as you can on the 8 but the fact remains that because of Mivec there hasn't been a one all be all Cam that has worked as good as it does on the 8's. Then again the 8's have more research into them and it just might take a while before they figure out how to get the Mivec system to work. Ofcourse Mivec on the Evo is limited to only one year so the research and development for it might stall especially considering that the world has moved to the Evo X. In the end you might get more power out of an Evo 9 but because it costs more initially the Evo 8 is a much better bargain.

Honestly I see alot of good Evo's that are heavily modded or medium modded in the for sale section here. If I could go back I would easily buy one of these instead of paying it brand new. The money I would have save in mods and maintenance is completely worth it.

I hope this helps.

Here is a pic below of my bumper incase you wondered. I also bought my Evo Brand new in 03 for 27,000.

Attached Thumbnails 8 vs 9 body differences-evo-8.jpg  
Old Jun 18, 2008, 03:22 AM

Wow thank you guys so much that does help a lot . You may be right about the mivec research stalling, I never even thought about that. Thank you guys a lot, I have some more thinking to do haha .

I know it's going to be a DD and hopefully the track occasionally, so i think really the 9 may be better for me. Now that i realize cosmetically, exterior wise, that i can basically make an 8 look like a 9 or vise versa. It all really comes down to the interior, and performance i guess. I'm not quite sure how much power i want to be making, so i'm going to have to put some thought into that too. But most importantly, sit in both and see how they feel haha .

Thanks again guys for all your help, i've been on a few car forums, but this one is by far the best with the nicest people . Thanks again!